Back up gun

I'm considering a Kel Tec .32 or .380 to be used as a back up gun only. In these calibers I would use FMJ ammo, will a .32 out penetrate a .380. Is there enough difference between these two cartridges to prefer one over the other? I have fired a friends .32 and was suprised by its accuracy for such a small pistol, I have not shot the .380. Which would you choose?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm considering a Kel Tec .32 or .380 to be used as a back up gun only. In these calibers I would use FMJ ammo, will a .32 out penetrate a .380. Is there enough difference between these two cartridges to prefer one over the other? I have fired a friends .32 and was suprised by its accuracy for such a small pistol, I have not shot the .380. Which would you choose?

I'd consider a different gun for starters.

But given the question, everyone will tell you the .380 with either ball or something like Cor Bon ammo.

I might opt for the .32 in ball instead, with more shots in the gun and better controlability. The .32 isnt much in favor in this country but it was a police standard in Europe pretty much until the 1950s.

Guest CleanSeries80

i stay away from small calibers period. as i stated in a previous thread i carry a combat commander as my back up gun because i can use the same magazines in it as my government. i like knowing that if the government fails, that i still have a 2nd firearm that will pack just as big of a wallop, has the same shooting characteristics and not having to worry about carrying 2 different types of magazines/ammunition.

to answer your question more specifically though, i prefer the .380 over the .32 simply because the .380 has a larger bullet diameter which SHOULD leave a bigger hole.

Based on that, it seems the .32acp is the round of choice. Penetration and force were about the same while the .32 has more capacity.

So if you expect to confront raging blocks of gelatin the .32acp is the round of choice.

Based on that, it seems the .32acp is the round of choice. Penetration and force were about the same while the .32 has more capacity.

So if you expect to confront raging blocks of gelatin the .32acp is the round of choice.

I agree with that.

.32NAA might be an even better choice...

Guest nraforlife
Ruger LCP 380. You'll like it better than the Kel Tec

Agree on this 100%. Had a Kel Tec .32 which I loved to shoot, sold and and bought a Kel Tec .380 which was a POS - my experience.

Rabbi,

I am wanting a BUG as a companion to a Glock 22 or a S&W 649, my two main carry guns. It needs to be small for an ankle holster, pcket etc.Besides the Kel Tec what would fit the bill? The Ruger LCP comes to mind, any thing else?

The Kel Tec PF9 would be a better bet than the .380. The airweight J's, as mentioned. The Kahr PM series. Depends on budget really.

I am thinking of carrying my Colt 1903 .25acp on my ankle, more in memory of Tommy St Charles obm than anything else. He carried a .25 on his ankle as his sole protection for over 30 years. Ankle carry stinks, btw and fwiw.

I am of the mind that a BUG should be similar to your primary gun so I have gone with GLOCK's 23 and 27. Same round different sizes.

But now you have TWO guns that'll shoot you in the butt.:devil:

I tend to agree though. I carry a Smith 19 in .357mag and a 642 in .38spc with a reload in .38spc for either one.

The back up is more for something to give my wife/son/whomever I'm with, in case of trouble. Or for getting off the first shot from inside the pocket.

The other theory is that J-frame for back up is good because it is an absolute bottom line last ditch defense, 5 for sure.