22 pistol suggestions

Backon4

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pleased with the Ruger SR22 I purchased a couple of week's ago because it's run like a champ with mixed 22LR. No feed or ejection problems at all and it come's with two magazines. The rear sight is adjustable and both front and rear sights are very visable along with having a good sight radius. It's a DA/SA design with a managable but heavy DA pull followed by a very light SA pull with a fair amount of take up. For the price it's amazing and also pretty accurate as well, overall a nice field and plinking gun that would do well on a trap line too.

The M&P 22 and the Ruger SR22 both look sweet. Back when ammo prices took off, I decided I needed a combat style 22 to use as a trainer. Since I have other Walthers, I went with the Walther P22 and it has been 100%. There are plenty of fine 22 pistols on the market (and as many opinions) but once you know what you want, the list will trim down alot. Some are great target pistols but I like the recent new-comers that satisfy a desire for combat/tactical, you know, accessory rail and similar features.

By the way, I noticed the M&P web site says, "Made by the .22 experts at Carl Walther, GmbH for Smith & Wesson"

Just wondered if you noticed that.

Edited by -Bristol-

I guess it would depend on application. Are you looking for a casual plinker, a combat trainer, bullseye machine, or even a carry piece? As stated above with so many options available right now your in luck just so long as you can narrow down exactly what you want and why.

I'm looking at the sr22. myself but I already have a mk3 for plinking and what not.

the mk series is probably more accurate but for a "fun gun" or a trainer i would go with the SR22 as well, me and my wife fight over mine lol ... i have both a MKIII 22/45 and a SR22 and honestly prefer the SR22 as the slight accuracy increase really isnt an issue to me, since i dont shoot long range with handguns anyway

Edited by JoeJ615

I got a chance to shot my new Ruger SR22 yesterday for the first time. Worked flawlessly with different ammo (started with cci mini mags, then winchester white box hollow points). I opted for this one over one of the Marks because it more closely resembles my other pistols in layout and is much easier to strip and clean than the marks.

I got a chance to shot my new Ruger SR22 yesterday for the first time. Worked flawlessly with different ammo (started with cci mini mags, then winchester white box hollow points). I opted for this one over one of the Marks because it more closely resembles my other pistols in layout and is much easier to strip and clean than the marks.

Yep. Mine really suprised me by feeding everything every time, that's what i like to see a pistol do.

I have shot the SR it is a good gun. It is too small for my hands, no matter what I do the trigger is too close to the grip. If you have small hands, you will love it. If you have long fingers or large hands, you may not like it at all. Other than that one issue, I would own one, it felt good, shot straight, didnt jam, a good gun all around and a great gun for a small hands person and really good for kids or smaller women.

I have shot the SR it is a good gun. It is too small for my hands, no matter what I do the trigger is too close to the grip. If you have small hands, you will love it. If you have long fingers or large hands, you may not like it at all. Other than that one issue, I would own one, it felt good, shot straight, didnt jam, a good gun all around and a great gun for a small hands person and really good for kids or smaller women.

I agree...the grip is a bit on the smaller side. I put the larger grip on and larger base plate on the mags and it works okay. I would like the grip to be a bit larger but it works for me. I'm still fairly new to the sport so this may be totally misguided, but I wonder what the possiblity of a larger grip being produced in the future either by Ruger or as an aftermarket. Not sure how the ergos would work but it would be a good idea as it would make the gun more attractive to those who are turned off by the smaller grip as it is currently offered.

Can't beat a Ruger Mark II or III. Very accurate and reliable handgun that will last for decades. Many after market parts are available to change to your particular tastes. The grandkids love to shoot it.

The only way you will see an alternative grip on the SR is if someone else does it first and ruger copies it.

Its a niche product that is very popular for young shooters & women, and even men with smaller hands. Its good that someone offers something this small. But I doubt anyone makes a bubba sized version, it would just be one of many in a large, crowded pool of products at that point.

Guest RichieRich

You can't beat the Mark III as old reliable. I have the Hunter edition with the 5 inch barrel and it has never caused me problems. I talked my brother into one a bit back (he got the long barrel) and he loves it as well.

I got a SR22 a few weeks ago, and while it doesn't have the same historical track record, actually like it better (disclaimer: I have small hands). Like everyone says, it eats anything (now buying cheap stuff from Wally World in bulk). In addition, I've been using it to introduce some new shooters to semi-auto pistols--with a more traditional feeling slide, it seems a bit easier to transition them to my XDs (or polymer pistol of your choice).

I just picked up a 10/22 takedown, and am planning to keep the SR22 in the outer pouch as part of my "all 22" back up SHTF bag.

go browing ,buckmark is the standard IMO

I got a chance to try a suppresed buckmark today, I have to say I liked it (the gun) just a little bit better than my mkiii. The slide can pinch thumb sometimes on the mkiii which doesn't seem to be an issue with the buckmark. All else seemed equal from a function/accuracy standpoint.