Any Jack Reacher novel readers?

I'm a fan of the Jack Reacher novels written by Lee Child. There are occasional flaws but overall a good series. I have a vision of what Reacher looks like based on the books. He's 6'5", 250 pounds, ex-military. Your basic tough guy.

I recently read that one of the books, One Shot, is being made into a movie. Good story, could be a good movie. There are probably a number of actors that could pull off the Reacher character. The actor chosen to play Reacher? Tom Cruise. Unbelievable. Tom Cruise is 5'7" and probably weighs in at 160 pounds. What are these people in Hollywood thinking? I'm disgusted and won't bother destroying my image of Reacher by watching this movie. The casting director should never cast another movie.

Who would you have cast in the role?

Dwayne Johnson was my first thought although he has had some corny roles that may have hurt his tough guy image. Jason Statham was the second to come to mind for me. A 30 year younger Clint Eastwood would be about right. I think I could kick Vin Diesel's butt.

I've read most of the Reacher novels. Tom Cruise would make a terrible Reacher. Ex-wrestler Steve Austin would be a good choice. You guys should also check out the Vince Flynn novels with Mitch Rapp as the main character. Those are excellent books too.

I'm a fan of the Jack Reacher novels written by Lee Child. There are occasional flaws but overall a good series. I have a vision of what Reacher looks like based on the books. He's 6'5", 250 pounds, ex-military. Your basic tough guy.

I recently read that one of the books, One Shot, is being made into a movie. Good story, could be a good movie. There are probably a number of actors that could pull off the Reacher character. The actor chosen to play Reacher? Tom Cruise. Unbelievable. Tom Cruise is 5'7" and probably weighs in at 160 pounds. What are these people in Hollywood thinking? I'm disgusted and won't bother destroying my image of Reacher by watching this movie. The casting director should never cast another movie.

Who would you have cast in the role?

What?? I can't believe they cast Tom Cruise - I bet Mr. Child is regretting his decision of selling the movie rights.

I have to say I will be with you Motasyco, I will not be seeing this one. I have read all the Reacher novels to date and Tom is just to much of a wuss.

They should have cast somebody like Gerard Butler or Clive Owen at least.

Awww that totally sucks...i love those books and own almost all of them.

Gerard Butler's accent wouldnt fit....hugh jackman...maybe...probably not badarse enough...not quite tall enough

statham doesnt have the acting chops...the rocks too young....

hmmmm....

Edited by Magiccarpetrides

Love Jack Reacher! Tom Cruise not so much. Darn near anybody would make a better Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise. 15 years ago, the best possible choice would have been Tom Selleck with Bobby Lee Jones a close second. Now, I'd take Kevin Costner or Hugh Jackman or any one of several others - anybody BUT Tom Cruise. B'lieve I'll save the cost of admission for the movie and spend it on another Reacher audio-book read by Dick Hill.

Picked up a few of the books today in a used book shop. Couldn't find the first and second books though. I really hate reading something out of sequence; so I'll look in a couple more before starting to read them. Man they are some serious books though, not some of these little wimpy 200 page things. It'll take a while to get thru them.

Picked up a few of the books today in a used book shop. Couldn't find the first and second books though. I really hate reading something out of sequence; so I'll look in a couple more before starting to read them. Man they are some serious books though, not some of these little wimpy 200 page things. It'll take a while to get thru them.

The sequence in these books doesn't seem to be as important as it is in some other series. There are some minor references to earlier books but nothing that really has any major impact on plot. Just enjoy.

As far as I'm concerned, the more pages the better. I'm usually at least a 500 page a week guy. It's become an expensive habit. I ordered the entire series from Amazon at one time. Got 25% off that way. I was on the pre-order list for the newest Reacher paperback, The Affair, and just got it a couple weeks ago. It's in queue.

Another great bad a$$ character for you is Lucas Davenport. The Prey series by John Sanford. Those are better in the correct order.

Thanks for the comments. I just usually like to read the inital installment first. It sometimes sets the character and style for me and I follow it more readily. But that's just my little quirk. I've seen the Prey books on several shelves and have them on the "future buy" list. The only problem with that is that the list is quite long and detailed considering the authors and sequential books I'm already reading. At this time, I have 47 paperbacks and 6 hb in the "to read next" pile beside the desk where I'm now sitting. That should get me thru the next 3 months, but of course there will be additions and order changes to that pile as we go along.

Edited by hipower

Thanks for the comments. I just usually like to read the inital installment first. It sometimes sets the character and style for me and I follow it more readily. But that's just my little quirk. I've seen the Prey books on several shelves and have them on the "future buy" list. The only problem with that is that the list is quite long and detailed considering the authors and sequential books I'm already reading. At this time, I have 47 paperbacks and 6 hb in the "to read next" pile beside the desk where I'm now sitting. That should get me thru the next 3 months, but of course there will be additions and order changes to that pile as we go along.

Now I'm jealous. Your "to read" list is bigger than mine.

That Tommy's reclusive brother? ;)

Oops! Brain fart. Humblest apologies to Tommy Lee. Only thing I can think is that I had just been talking to someone about Billy Bob Thornton about the same time that La. Gov. Bobby Jindal was mentioned on the radio. My bad! :-\

Now I'm jealous. Your "to read" list is bigger than mine.

This is embarrassing, but...that's just the stuff that I have up first. I probably have that many more in storage boxes that I keep picking up in yard and estate sales. :stunned:

OK, Motasyco, you are now officially on my crap list. Bought 11 Reacher novels in the last 2 days, and while in Cookeville this morning found about 20 of the Prey series

and a ton of Reacher copies . When I told the older gentleman and his wife, who own and run the store btw, what I was looking for; he led me to the back and pointed to a large shelf unit full of both series of bokks and said go to it. I stopped at 3. My wife came in wondering what was taking so long.

The owners started a list of what I bought for me and offered to hold the rest til I go back next weekend. Very nice people. A very dangerous place for me to go.