My modest entry into the 1911 club

Guest Baron

Guest Baron

Always thought they looked good, but I always passed them over for something else. Today, I was offered too good of a deal.

7123556885_d4bbb0e292_z.jpg

Most of my life has been rifles and revolvers. A few years ago I got a few pocket autos and a Glock.

Now I know why the 1911 crowd doesn't like the grip angle on a Glock. It's going to take me a while to get use to the angle of the 1911.

I am still on the fence weather or not I like the rail. In any case, people seems to have a lot of good things to say about the RIA.

Going to try to take it to the range tomorrow.

Well if you decide that you don't like the rail, I am certain you won't have a hard time finding a new home for it.

I am fascinated with the railed RIA, and if and when I decide to get a 1911, I am certain, that will be the one.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did it set you back?

Guest Baron

I accepted it and a 1/2 box or .45 as partial payment on a job I did so you could say I gave $350 for it. The other 1/2 of the box are the only rounds that have been through it.

I have a RIA Tactical. It looks very much like your picture although the logo and wording on the slide are not colored white. It's been 100% reliable with anything I feed it and it's more accurate than I am. I think you're going to become quite fond of it. And for what you have invested, some may argue that you stole it. Welcome to the club.

Guest Baron

I have to say I am very impressed. I just put almost 300 rounds through it and got only one failure to feed. The slide locked open and didn't chamber the 8th round.

I figure the worst case on that failure was due to it being with a ProMag magazine. The ACT-MAG worked flawlessly.

I am still going to have to get use to the grip. I keep shooting dead at 6 o'clock and I am sure its not my trigger pull.

Again, I am shocked. Being a (practically) new 1911 I thought it would have more failures.

Try your hand at hollow points. Mine damn near refused to shoot them. I accidentally bought some target hollow points at wally world and didn't realize it until I got to Guns & Leather. I should have just bought some ball ammo there, but I was already frustrated.

I have to say I am very impressed. I just put almost 300 rounds through it and got only one failure to feed. The slide locked open and didn't chamber the 8th round.

I figure the worst case on that failure was due to it being with a ProMag magazine. The ACT-MAG worked flawlessly.

I am still going to have to get use to the grip. I keep shooting dead at 6 o'clock and I am sure its not my trigger pull.

Again, I am shocked. Being a (practically) new 1911 I thought it would have more failures.

It isn't unusual for a front sight to be left a bit tall. That way you can file it to where it'll shoot to the point of aim once you find a load you like.

It just dawned on me when I saw the title of this thread pop up again. "Modest" and "1911" don't go together very well. There's not much modest about a 1911. Perhaps the thread title should be something more like "My awesome entry into the 1911 club". Awesome is still at the low end for a 1911. Other possibilities may include intimidating, astonishing, awe-inspiring, breathtaking, exalted, fearsome, formidable, overwhelming, mind-blowing, stunning, magnificent, wondrous, impressive, majestic, beautiful, wonderful, incredible, and amazing.

• Like 2