Coleman's Outlet Posted - Reasoning behind it...

Guest President Fernatt

Guest President Fernatt

I posted this in the appropriate area (carry prohibited locations) already but only provided the fact that the store is posted. I figured further discussion would be better suited for this Handgun Carry category. The Coleman's Camping Outlet in Sevierville (Exit 407 - Highway 66) is apparently not very gun carry friendly. As soon as I pulled in I noticed the big 8 x 8 inch 'GUNBUSTER' sign on the door....I decided immediately that I wouldn't be buying anything here but since I was so surprised to see the posting on an Outdoorsman Store..... I wanted to do a little more checking up on it.

After getting closer, I saw that the 'GUNBUSTER' was joined by the words, "No Firearms Allowed on Property."

I entered the store and after looking around, noticed that all entrances were posted with the same as above. After casual conversation with the sales clerk about the signs, I was informed of a "situation" that occured which prompted the postings.

He said that the store has been posted for a while but not very clearly; he added that they never enforced the small signs they previously had until the "situation." Apparently an off-duty police officer came into Coleman's to try on some cammo and for whatever reason, took off his gun belt and hung it on a display rack while he tried on the clothes. The off-duty officer then left the store for hours and then called back that evening saying he forgot the gun and asked the employees to tell him if it was still there. The employees looked around the store and found the gun hanging on the rack from nearly 4 hours earlier in the day. The clerk stated or rather implied that the owners of the store got freaked out and from that point forward, 'GUNBUSTERS' & wording were posted on all entrances and firmly enforced across the board.

Yes, that situation was incredibly dangerous assuming the gun was in reach of un-trained children, teens, or even careless adults who just assumed the gun was a prop in the outdoor themed store. BUT.....

Having said that, I stil DO NOT believe that situation warrants banning guns from the property. I fully understand and respect the rights of business owners to post whatever signs they want....I just thought the story behind the posting was interesting and wanted to share.

Any Thoughts??

Guest President Fernatt

My first one is that AFAIK their sign does not prevent LEOs from carrying, on or off duty, so is non sequitur to the actual problem that caused them to post it?

- OS

Wow, that didn't even cross my mind! So true though.

Guest President Fernatt

Was this his service weapon ?

I wonder if the officer received "additional training" ?

In fact, I wonder if it really happened. It would probably have been in the paper if so.

B.

He didn't say if the officer was local or not. I'm assuming the off-duty cop just dropped by to pick it up and that was that. Not sure though. All I can say for certain is that they missed out on a small amount of my $.

He didn't say if the officer was local or not. I'm assuming the off-duty cop just dropped by to pick it up and that was that. Not sure though. All I can say for certain is that they missed out on a small amount of my $.

We are indeed easily able to adapt to life without their product, aren't we ?

I will add - I have little enough disposible income as it is. I will be durned if I give it to someone who annoys me.

Edited by R_Bert

Coleman won't get my business, though that store is a weird. I wonder if the signs were put up by the building owner or the business owner and if they are the one and the same? I say weird because all those little stores in that building are connected by a long internal hall way. Seems like the walls are not full as well.

Guest President Fernatt

I will add - I have little enough disposible income as it is. I will be durned if I give it to someone who annoys me.

Agreed! I'm a poor college student lol I'll spend my few extra bucks at Bass Pro or Knife Works

My first one is that AFAIK their sign does not prevent LEOs from carrying, on or off duty, so is non sequitur to the actual problem that caused them to post it?

- OS

I was under the impression that when they changed the law so that the gunbuster was a legal posting it also made it illegal for off duty cops to carry past them.

You are certainly more versed on TN law but I was told that from a LEO.

I was under the impression that when they changed the law so that the gunbuster was a legal posting it also made it illegal for off duty cops to carry past them.

You are certainly more versed on TN law but I was told that from a LEO.

Actually, you may well be right. I haven't kept up with the various changes in TCA as to how they affect LEOs. I know federal LEOSA doesn't override some local prohibitions.

- OS

Police can still be told to leave with our firearm and we have to. We just can't be prosecuted for carrying past a sign until after we have been told to leave. I don't know any LEO's that open carry off duty so it doesn't matter.

For that matter, there are plenty of other places to buy Coleman products. I know Bass Pro sells Coleman stuff. I am pretty sure that Academy does, as well. The last time I was at the 'blue mall' there was still a Coleman store there (but that was before that mall was, apparently, sold to new owners.) Heck, even Wally World sells some Coleman stuff.

...I have little enough disposible income as it is. I will be durned if I give it to someone who annoys me.

That statement is almost sig line worthy. The same is true of me.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Police in TN can carry off duty anywhere except court when it is in session.

Off the OP topic, but since we're on it, schools are off-limits for off-duty LEOs too, unless the principal (or next available adminitsrtaor) is informed upon arrival.

39-17-1350(c )(1)

Edited by monkeylizard

For that matter, there are plenty of other places to buy Coleman products. I know Bass Pro sells Coleman stuff. I am pretty sure that Academy does, as well. The last time I was at the 'blue mall' there was still a Coleman store there (but that was before that mall was, apparently, sold to new owners.) Heck, even Wally World sells some Coleman stuff.

That statement is almost sig line worthy. The same is true of me.

So does Dick's Sporting Goods.

So does Dick's Sporting Goods.

I thought so but since the Knoxville location stopped selling guns, ammo and fishing gear I don't really go in there. I couldn't remember for sure if they stocked Coleman stuff or not.

Edited by JAB
Guest ab28

Coleman gear is too heavy for hiking anyways. I make my own or order it from custom ultralight manufacturers. I got a 0 degree down bag that weighs a pound and a half, wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it. I have bad knees from carrying a ton of crap in the Army, so I gotta really watch my pack weight.

Edited by ab28

Coleman gear is too heavy for hiking anyways. I make my own or order it from custom ultralight manufacturers. I got a 0 degree down bag that weighs a pound and a half, wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it. I have bad knees from carrying a ton of crap in the Army, so I gotta really watch my pack weight.

Yeah, I think Coleman stuff is more for us 'weekend warrior' camping types who drive to our camping spot, set up camp and then walk a trail or two without all that gear on our backs. For such applications, the Coleman stuff I have works pretty well.

Guest ab28

Yeah, I think Coleman stuff is more for us 'weekend warrior' camping types who drive to our camping spot, set up camp and then walk a trail or two without all that gear on our backs. For such applications, the Coleman stuff I have works pretty well.

Yeah, I tend to hike like 100 miles in a week, when I go out.

Guest President Fernatt

Yeah, I tend to hike like 100 miles in a week, when I go out.

Holy Cow! 100 miles per trip? Not me lol; I go on day hikes around the park. The hikes are usually only anywhere from 8-15 miles. But nah, I just went to coleman cuz I was bored and wanted to buy some lil backpack clips, fire starting kit, and a compass...just a couple small things.

This incident did happen. It involved a police officer from Alabama. I know this because a friend works there and asked me what they should do. I told her to call the city police. hThe police officer in question should have this on his record .

• 2 weeks later...