Blade 2012- Who's going?

The Blade Show is only a couple of weeks away. Who's planning on making the short drive from Knoxville? Mrs Kong and I will be there all weekend. If you have an interest in knives and haven't ever been it's definitely worth the trip to Atlanta, even if you just go for one day. Hope to see some folks there.

First round or three is on me.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scramasax

I'll be there all weekend. No extra money, but a lot of friends to catch up with. Last time the response was "I thought you were dead".

Felt like I was in a B movie after awhile. I'll be checking in at Gary Wheeler and Kim Breed's table.

Cheers,

ts

Must've been rigged. Seriously, wow, just wow, congrats!

I should have probably clarified better. My wife won in the lottery. She just let me pay for it. She was a lucky charm all weekend. We won two free knives from Busse, won a $100 shop credit with Busse, got two discount coupons on future releases, and then hit the Hinderer lottery. I should have bought a Powerball ticket on Saturday.

My luck ran out today however. Leaving Atlanta I hit a traffic jam that took about 20 minutes to get past. No big deal. Got through that, cruised on for about an hour then had a blowout on the interstate. Tire changed back on the road. Got home and turned on the gas grill to cook some brats and my tank ran out of fuel (luckily I had a spare). I think I'm just going to bed:)

All in all it was a fantastic weekend. Hung out with some great buddies, talked knives, bought knives, watched demos, ate lots of meat and drank lots of beer. Can't wait for next year...

So I went to blade show to try and win a chance to buy a Hinderer XM 18. The first three names were bogus or absent. Then they called the fourth name, "Chris Byrd." My heart nearly stopped! So excited. It was a fantastic experience. I was able to get the knife I picked out from Rob Orlando's blade show preview. I know its just a production model and most people probably would have gone for the customs but I chose this as my daily carry knife and as a user.

So here is the knife, my hat and a Fletcher Operator 575 that I picked up right after the lottery.

dc3b08c5.jpg

And I didn't really dig the light grey scale so I bought the Blue/Black scale to put on it.

5228cd3b.jpg

The reason that I chose this knife, was the blasted/anodized lock side. I love this look.

85f8e900.jpg

And Rick himself was kind enough to install my scale for me. (I consider this above and beyond). And I just happened to look behind him and I noticed the dry erase board that Rob had mentioned for daily drawings. Down at the bottom was my username. So I said, "That's my name." Everyone just kinda looked confused until I pointed out what I had seen. I waited for Rob O. to get back and he handed me a brand new Copper Investigator Pen. This thing is great.

7e591d9d.jpg

So overall, it was an absolutely incredible first Blade Show experience. I'm so glad that I made the trip down from Memphis. It was worth every second of the drive.

I want to say thanks again to all of the Hinderer crew. It was great to meet and speak with Rob, Rob, Rick, and everyone really. From the time I spent with them today, I'd say that they are all a bunch of stand up guys. Can't wait to see everyone again.

Awesome Chris, congrats. I picked the production Hinderer too. I like the customs but I'd never be able to bring myself to use one of them. That Fletcher is sweet too. We walked by his table a couple of times and admired his work. So many great knifemakers there, it's really hard to choose who/what to buy.

If you were at the Saturday lottery, I was the first name they called that was actually there. I was in shock for a minute. It was awesome.

As for the Fletcher, I've known Dylan for about a decade now. So buying one of his knives was a no brainer.

Post pics of the knife you picked out.

Chris,

That is an awesome Hinderer production or not makes no difference whatsoever what makes that one special is you won the lottery and got to see for yourself just how good of people the Hinderer crew are, I will do everything in my power to make it there next year,

I really like your Fletcher as well congrats!

They are awesome people. What I left out in the story is that I took my mom with me. She is recovering from a broken ankle and has bad knees so she couldn't walk around the place all day. So I pushed her around in a wheelchair. She is now also a Hinderer fan and is in love with Damascus. She had a great time as well. She already ordered a Rainbow Kershaw Leek for herself. It truly was a fantastic weekend.

Here are a couple of my acquisitions from Blade. A black on black handshaped G-10 Flat Fat Fusion Battle Mistress from Busse (full flat grind, .32 thick), a BanTang BT6 (probably the sharpest knife I have ever owned), and a 3.5" Hinderer XM-18 (raffle ticket actually won by my wife).

IMG_1202.jpg

I will make it next year as well. I spent my new blade purchasing money Saturday on a new lawn mower and trimmer. While I would have liked a new blade, I needed some new lawn care equipment. I guess I will just have to wait on my 777 to hit production, whenever that is. :(

By the way, nice purchases there Fred. I love that Battle Mistress. Is that XM-18 bead blasted?

Edited by mav