38 super or 357 sig

BJB

38 Super or 357sig  

23 members have voted

1. 1. 38 super or 357 sig

• 38 super
    • 357 sig

I am planning my next toy. With the help of a good friend i am planning on building a 1911. This is something i have been wanting to do for a long time. I use to own a Colt series 70 38 super with a 5" slide and I loved that gun but it disappeared during my divorce. So tell me your thoughts, i am hoping to use it for IDPA type shooting.

Edited by BJB
  • Like 1

I voted for "Why" because I'd like to know why you put the question in the choices and the choices in the subject line.

Let me take this time to ask everyone to support your local chapter of D.A.M. Mothers against dyslexia.

BJ:_________

If i liked the 1911; i would do a 38 super. There aint a nickels worth of difference between them (...the super or the 357 sig, that is. ...). The main thing if ya get a 1911, ya need a barrel that headspaces on the case mouth. I like the super. Would like to have one myself.

If ya decide to build a 1911; let us know what parts ya use.

leroy

Edited by leroy
Guest kingarmory

I would go with the .38 Super, mags and gun components are more widely available. If you go the .357 route you'll have to use a .40 S&W slide, mag, etc which gives you a lot less options.

I voted for "Why" because I'd like to know why you put the question in the choices and the choices in the subject line.

Let me take this time to ask everyone to support your local chapter of D.A.M. Mothers against dyslexia.

First time i did a poll and it was on my phone.....slow day at work. And i could not see everything at the same time. And wouldnt that be M.A.D. LOL. SORRY CASTER

It takes a GOOD smith to get .357sig to work in a 1911, dont ask me why but thats from the research i did.

They are both good with similar velocities but the sig is limited to 9mm bullets and the super can use resized .357mag bullets if you reload.

Personally between the two, do a super if in a 1911. But if given another caliber choice id do 9x25dillon or 9x23 winchester

Well I got the Poll fixed, SoRrY again CASTER...............and yea I got it.

You all are confirming what my original plans are. I really miss that Super, it was a fine shooting pistol and much moe accurate then I ever was. I do know that most of the parts will be Les Baer and some will be custom made by a friend. Its going to take some time but looking forward to the process

I went with 38 super. IIRC factory ammo would be cheaper, better parts selection, and as mentioned if you roll your own you should be able to get pretty darn close to 357 sig.

I had done a little research awhile ago and believe the 38 super lends itself well to 9mm conversions with just a new barrel and a few other parts swapped so that's cool too.

@ Patton, no the 1911 was designed to accomodate the .45acp round. I believe you may be thinking of the .38acp in the colt model 1900 and later models and the .38super was developed in late 20s early 30s to combat the lack of power in the .38 special and the need to penetrate the new automobile bodies that criminals were starting to use. Of course when the .357magnum came along, .38super wasnt as hot anymore

• Like 1

^. I contacted my source that agreed with what you said. Apparently I got confused because the first auto loading pistols were 38 caliber but the Army requested their new pistols be .45 min. I also thought the grip safety was added after the original design but apparently it was the thumb safety.

• 7 months later...