s&w sigma 40ve or 9mm, anybody have one?

Mdunntn

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a 40sigma in a trade a few years ago. I didn't keep it because I wanted a 9, but I did test it out. I found it to be as accurate and reliable as about any SW pistol.The worst I can say about it is that the trigger wasn't all that great. Long and gritty to me, but otherwise a good pistol.

The trigger is the biggest complaint you will hear. The firing pin is the biggest weak link. I've seen and heard of them breaking at 100 rounds or not having problems with 1000's of rounds. THP, Decatur PD, and Meigs Co SO used to issue the Sigma 40 for duty use but they have all switched. I don't know of a failure in the field but they did occur at the range.

My dad had one and he gave it to me when I got my HCP. Not long after that I bought my M&P. For a starter gun or a truck/home gun it is a really good gun. We put 500-1000 rounds through ours and had no problems. Yeah the trigger isn't very good compared to other stuff but its not the worst out there. I ended up selling it for another gun but now I wish I would have kept it.

My very first handgun was an OD green Sigma 40 I bought for home defense before I got my HCP. Only put about 3-400 rounds thru it but never had any problems. Got bit by the Glock bug so I traded it off. Like the others said my only complaint was the trigger, but I wouldnt hesitate to own another.

Edited by Bad_Bowtie

The capacity and price is very appealing to and was wondering if anyone had any experience with one. Weight? Concealability? Recoil? Reliability? Accuracy? Thanks guys

I have a friend that has one. I've shot it before and all I can say is it's a rough trigger. I think someone told me that the S&W SD line is like a Sigma but with a smoother/better trigger. I'd opt for that one.

Also, if you're in the Mil or Law Enforcement or a First Responder or retired Mil, you can get S&W M&P's for like $385 I believe shipped from Budspolicesupply.com.

Edited by wcsc12

I think the SD has been discontinued...and S&W has put out a newer version of the VE. Very good, dependable guns for not a lot of money. If you master the heavy trigger pull, it will make you a better shooter with a gun with better triggers. I've put over a thousand rounds through mine before I got a M&P. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting I would wait until I could buy the M&P. But, if this gun is only going to be a glovebox gun, or sit in the closet, I don't think you can make a better choice.

Guest A10thunderbolt

I had the 9mm VE, it went bang every time and I held on to it until I could get a "Better gun" I put around 1000 Rnds through it with no Malfunctions. The trigger pull is a bit stiff.

Thanks guys, I'm just looking for a primary carry gun and was wondering if I should save up or jump on one of these. Everyone keeps saying truck gun, so sounds like I need to save some more.

I've never been one to just take others' word for it when it comes to firearms or anything else that I'm going to drop a wad of cash on. What someone else doesn't like may suit me and my needs just fine and I may have a completely different experience with it.

I would encourage you to either borrow one or rent one at a local range if you can to decide for yourself whether or not you like it

Edited by DaddyO
Guest bkelm18

The Sigma, like others have said, is a good truck gun or just an all around gun to have, but I wouldn't carry it because of the trigger. Another $100-$200 puts you in M&P or Glock range (as well as lots of other great choices).

Edited by bkelm18

40VE was my first pistol and I still have it.

I carry it in the cooler months when the :tinfoil: hits and I don't feel like 8 rounds is enough.

It goes bang when I pull the trigger, hits what I'm aiming at and has never had a malfunction.

The trigger is rough, as others have said, but for $300-$350 it's a very reliable, very carry-able full size high cap pistol.

I bought one from Gander Mountain a few years ago, got the extra magazines instead of the $50 rebate. I think it cost me $400 even out the door or something like that. Maybe a little under.

I have semi-perm loaned it to my mother, but I put a box of ammo through it before I did. Shot fine, took down and cleaned just like my Glock 19.

If I were in the market for something like it again, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one. The reason we went with the Sigma over the Glock was the price factor. I didn't feel like paying $500 for a gun to give to my mother. $350 sounded a lot better. My mother was comfortable with my Glock, and she could work the action on the Sigma, she couldn't operate anything else in the case, including the double action revolvers.

If I recall correctly, Glock successfully sued S&W over the Sigma. Owning and shooting both, I understand why.

I had one in 40 S&W for a while when they first came out and didn't have any problems with it, but decided to trade it for a Glock 22 instead. I liked the trigger on the Glock better than the Sigma's but thought the Sigma had a better feeling grip.

I have the SVE9 and carried it for 4 years, shot it alot and once I got comfortable with the trigger, is was accuate and fun. Still use it as a back up. Good gun to see if you want a semi versus a revolver. No problrems with it at all.

If you felt like saving a little more money up, you can land a new Sig 2022 or CZ P-07 Duty. They can be had around 400 brand new and are fantastic pistols. (with much nicer triggers and ergonomics)

I've only shot the earliest Sigmas...can't stand them.

Guest bkelm18

If you felt like saving a little more money up, you can land a new Sig 2022 or CZ P-07 Duty. They can be had around 400 brand new and are fantastic pistols. (with much nicer triggers and ergonomics)

I've only shot the earliest Sigmas...can't stand them.

True, the Sig 2022 can often be had for under $400 and it's a fantastic gun.