Top 5 Concealed Carry Handguns

Guest adamoxtwo

OK so let do this. Give your top Five. Sure our lists will be better then this guy's.

1. Sig 229 SAS Carry (only #1 because of the Sig Anti Snag Design IMO)

2. Colt Defender

3. Glock G30SF

4. Springfield XD Sub Compact

5. Colt Python (oldy but a goody)

Disclaimer.....This in the opinion of one guy. There is no scientific proof to which is better, but there are some guns I have handled and believe would be great Concealed carry pistols. I judged them on Reliability, Size, and design.....with exception of the Colt Python.....that one is just cool.

Edited by adamoxtwo

The particular model of gun isn't really relevant as long as it fits the role and is reliable. It could be black and white with the Wal Mart Great Value logo on the side for all I care. They all fall in to broad categories.

Small Revolvers

S&W J Frame / Ruger LCR / Taurus Small Frame / Charter Arms (I omit Colt Detective etc... as they aren't in production)

Medium Revolvers

S&W K/L Frame / Ruger SP101 / Taurus Compact Frame etc...

Subcompact Semi Auto - .32 & .380

Kel Tec P32 & P3AT / Ruger LCP / S&W Bodyguard / Taurus equivalent I'm not googling right now ;)

Subcompact Single Stack Semi Auto - 9mm and up

Kelt Tec PF9 / Ruger LC9 / S&W Shield / Kahr PM9 / Walther PPS <insert your favorite here>

Subcompact Double Stack Semi Auto - 9mm and up

Glock 26 etc ... I'm drawing a blank for the non Glock equivalents and don't have time to google at the moment, you get the idea

Compact Double Stack Semi Auto - 9mm and up

Ruger SR9c / Glock 19 / S&W M&P9C etc...

These guns are probably 95%+ of concealed carry these days. Sure, there's a few guys out there who carry full sized 1911's, Hi Powers, and such, but I suspect they're a distinct minority. And yes, I know I'm leaving out someone's favorite. That's not the point. It's a matter of what you are comfortable carrying. Me, most of the time I'm carrying a Small Revolver*, sometimes a Subcompact Single Stack 9mm**, and if I ever get a chance to play with it at the range I may start carrying a Compact Double Stack 9mm***. Thing is, the model doesn't really matter. If my S&W 649 suddenly morphed into a Ruger LCR or a Taurus 85 I'd still be just as well armed. If my Ruger SR9c was replaced with a G19 by Mysterious Glock Elves, I really wouldn't worry about it.

* S&W 649 J Frame

** Kahr PM9

*** Ruger SR9c

I'll use BryanP's list with some catagories added and what i use in those catagories.

Small Revolvers

S&W J Frame Model 36

Medium Revolvers

S&W K Model 66, S&W L Model 686

Subcompact Semi Auto - .32 & .380

Split ball and a straw.

Subcompact Single Stack Semi Auto - 9mm and up

Kahr MK40, trying to get an M&P 40 Shield

Subcompact Double Stack Semi Auto - 9mm and up

Never seen a double stack I would call a Sub.

Compact Double Stack Semi Auto - 9mm and up

M&P 40C

Full Size Double Stack Semi Auto - 9mm and up

M&P 40

SW1911

I added the full size double stack and the 1911 because I would bet the numbers eclipse some of those other categories. Simply because a full size double stack is without a doubt the #1 duty carry gun, and many are used off duty concealed. And 1911 is just a highly popular carry gun.

Speaking of popularity of handguns

The number of guns on the streets of San Paolo (Brazil) is greater than number of concealed permits in our entire country. There are other places of great gun traditions. I wonder what is the weapon of choice in San Paolo, Manilla, and Monterey.

Guest adamoxtwo

The number of guns on the streets of San Paolo (Brazil) is greater than number of concealed permits in our entire country. There are other places of great gun traditions. I wonder what is the weapon of choice in San Paolo, Manilla, and Monterey.

If you really want to know I can get that answer for you easily. Give me a day or so.

Guest bkelm18

Sig P228?

The P228 is nowhere even close to being a subcompact. It's as big if not bigger than a Glock 19.

Edited by bkelm18

I would guess that its a 1911 copy in .38super.

Guest drv2fst

Pocket Carry - Kahr PM9

Shorts & T-Shirt Carry - Kahr P9

Normal Carry - HK P30

Great Cover - SW1911 (Scandium Framed lightweight 1911 in .45)

Feeling Tactical - HK45