A little known fact about blackberries

Where did you buy them?

Dolomite

Lowe's. They have (had?) several varieties with indian names - Apache, Navaho, etc. The labeling recommends planting more than one variety for the best pollenization. The way this plant has taken off, I figure if I plant one more variety, I'll have blackberries coming out my ears.

Yes, they're really blackberries. Huge ones that taste the same as wild ones, to my taste. Wikepedia says they were developed at the University of Arkansas.

Edited by enfield

They aren't the same.

I can tell you that my wife makes the best blackberry cobbler ever made.

We also have wild raspberries here. They mature a few weeks earlier than the blackberries, and are much better.

Will you share the recipe? A neighbor gave me a simple recipe and it didn't turn out very well. In my neck of the woods most the rain everyone else received by-passed us, so our wild blackberries are very small. In fact, the chiggers bites are bigger than the berries.

I just wanted to try one lousy mayapple..just once..

Same with the pawpaw fruit..but i did have some and those are really good

I don't recommend eating even ONE may apple, but to at least see one, maybe you've been looking too early? Flower is in May around here, actual fruit is maybe just now in place, maybe still not fully formed, can't remember exact time of summer. I really don't know if various wildlife eats them or not, I've seen whole groves in less dense parts of forests with fully formed "apples" off and on my whole life (they aren't red btw, just stay green AFAIK). Have seen plenty where I used to live right around side of the mountain from you all, too, just can't remember exactly what time of summer.

Never have identified and eaten a paw paw, but have eaten lots of persimmons, a real treat in the limited time they are perfectly ripe (late August around here, I think?)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Hell, next you will tell her there is no such thing as a snipe...

Snipes are in fact real, just not native to the continent.

Small birds from Asia, "back in the day" someone who could take one on the wing would be known as a "sniper"

Ain't learning fun?

Also blacker the berry, sweeter the juice. Giggity!

Snipes are in fact real, just not native to the continent.

Small birds from Asia, "back in the day" someone who could take one on the wing would be known as a "sniper"

???

The primary (maybe only?) snipe in the US is the Wilson's Snipe, and seems to be a New World only species?

- OS

???

The primary (maybe only?) snipe in the US is the Wilson's Snipe, and seems to be a New World only species?

- OS

Learning IS fun! I wasn't aware of any snipe native to the US. Parts of Asia and New Zealand I was aware of but not here.

I guess I'm not really that surprised we have one as well.

"The Gallinago snipes have a worldwide distribution, the Lymnocryptes Jack snipe is restricted to Asia and Europe and the Coenocorypha snipes are found only in the outlying island of New Zealand. The three species of painted snipes are not closely related to the typical snipes and are placed in their own family, the Rostratulidae."

So there we have it.

Still the origin of the term sniper though.

BTW not claiming to be some kind of snipe expert, I'm sure many of you knew already they were real animals but I'm sure some had never heard of them beyond the summer camp connotation as well.