Obamacare Upheld

Well... this sort of makes all those people who have been saying that both parties are pretty much the same seem pretty smart. Unfortunately, I haven't been one of them.

I guess it is all up to Romney now and the overturning of the Senate if there is any hope of repealing this horrid piece of legislation. I won't hold my breath on that one. So basically, we're screwed. Pitchforks anyone?

• Like 1
Guest 270win

Little Bush started the Patriot Act which gave us the strip searches at the airports, TSA, Homeland Insecurity. Little Bush also started the bank bailouts in 2008 and Obama kept the bailouts going. Now we have to purchase a service or pay an income tax with Obamacare.

The past ten years has not been good for this country and I don't see the next ten years getting any better as far as overall freedom for people. I can see people being required to use electronic payments or pay a tax. Get a bar code scanner implanted or pay a tax.

All these things are to assist in the extremely rich and the government to control the population. The illegals will be legalized to again give the rich/government more cheap labor, voter base. The border was never intended to be closed even way back because again this benefits the extreme rich and government. Gone is the common man and freedom. We'll pay a tax to avoid being searched in public.

Little Bush started the Patriot Act which gave us the strip searches at the airports, TSA, Homeland Insecurity. Little Bush also started the bank bailouts in 2008 and Obama kept the bailouts going. Now we have to purchase a service or pay an income tax with Obamacare.

The past ten years has not been good for this country and I don't see the next ten years getting any better as far as overall freedom for people. I can see people being required to use electronic payments or pay a tax. Get a bar code scanner implanted or pay a tax.

All these things are to assist in the extremely rich and the government to control the population. The illegals will be legalized to again give the rich/government more cheap labor, voter base. The border was never intended to be closed even way back because again this benefits the extreme rich and government. Gone is the common man and freedom. We'll pay a tax to avoid being searched in public.

There it is. It's George Bush's fault. We should have known.

It is 2012 and America is no longer America. We are now something else. The question is, how much further will we, The People, allow this to go?

It is 2012 and America is no longer America. We are now something else. The question is, how much further will we, The People, allow this to go?

WE will find out in Nov.

BUT there will be some who refuse to see the difference between liberty or tyranny.

Actually alot of this is Bush's fault. If he had defended himself back when the dems were using him for a punching bag. We might not of been stuck with this turkey... He lost the congress which in turn gave us ObamaCare and because he let the press and the dems just abuse the #### out of him as the worse President ever we got Hope and Change.

Edited by JG55

In my simplistic views of things I compare CJ Roberts vote as a make up call for Citizens United. He made a bad call against one team then runs down the field and makes a crazy and unexpected call for the other team.

Romney or Obama 2012....you are screwed either way. Politicians and big business will squash the working man, because they will still have you thinking like a " R or D". I like it. Maybe the people will get angry and stop pointing fingers at one another, clean house and demand that our so called reps do the people's bidding when we put them in office.

You will survive this and come out stronger,but a lesson will be learned.

Truely sad day for sure. The Supreme Court should be utterly ashamed of themselves. Obama campaigned for the healthcare bill saying over and over again that it wasn't a tax then the SC upholds it as a tax. We'll which one is it? I'll vote for freakin Kermit the Frog in November before I vote for a man who has lied and lied about everything he campaigned on, drove up our debt, decided executive orders are greater than the constitution, ect. ect. ect. Either way allowing the goverment to require you to buy something soley on the basis that you exist on this planet is the beginning of a dangerous relationship between it and the citizens. The "what's next" argument is the scary one. We'll they can push and push but eventually the people will push back and we'll see how things go then. Fortunately I don't think that day is too far away.

• Like 1

Actually alot of this is Bush's fault. If he had defended himself back when the dems were using him for a punching bag. We might not of been stuck with this turkey... He lost the congress which in turn gave us ObamaCare and because he let the press and the dems just abuse the #### out of him as the worse President ever we got Hope and Change.

I agree. If Bush had not been such a terrible president there is no way that we even know who Obama is. To make it even worse we may end up with a guy that wears special underwear, thinks that the garden of Eden was near KC,Mo and has a planet waiting for him after his death. Proud member of the blame Bush crowd.

I don't disagree with this. Bush, as well as others (McCain), was too diplomatic, too gracious, reached across the aisle of death and compromised way too much.

For what it's worth, just got this from Romney in an email...

Friend,

Today, the Supreme Court upheld Obamacare. But regardless of what the Court said about the constitutionality of the law, Obamacare is bad medicine, it is bad policy, and when I'm President, the bad news of Obamacare will be over.

It was always a liberal pipedream that a 2,700 page, multi-trillion-dollar Federal Government takeover of our health care system actually could address the very serious problems we face with health care. With Obamacare fully installed, government will reach fully half of the economy - that is the recipe for a struggling economy and declining prosperity.

On Day One, I will work to repeal Obamacare to stop the government's takeover of our health care and intrusion in our lives. I will push for real reform to our health care system that focuses on helping patients and protecting taxpayers.

We cannot afford Barack Obama's on-the-job learning, Big Government proposals, and irresponsible spending. Our basic liberties are at stake - and I will fight to restore our freedoms, renew the respect for our Constitution, and halt the government takeover of health care.

This November it's all on the line. The stakes couldn't be higher.

Donate $10 or more to put a stop to the policies of Barack Obama and the liberal Democrats.

Thanks,

Mitt Romney

I agree. If Bush had not been such a terrible president there is no way that we even know who Obama is. To make it even worse we may end up with a guy that wears special underwear, thinks that the garden of Eden was near KC,Mo and has a planet waiting for him after his death. Proud member of the blame Bush crowd.

But I don't agree with this. Bush had a few minor problems, nothing like what ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and MSNBC have pounded into your head over an 8 year period.

I'll take a Bush Presidency and a Bush economy for the next 1,000 years over what we have now. This is Obama's economy, deficit, national debt and unemployment btw, just so your clear on that.

• Like 1

I'm heartbroken to see the old girl go. RIP, United States of America.

235 years, not a bad run. You started with huge energy and potential, peaked well into middle age, and spent about the last 60 years in decline. From here on out it is life support until someone gets tired of paying the bill.

• Like 1
Guest 270win

A lot of this had the foundation groundwork in the 1930's with FDR. Social security, NFA firearms (pay a tax to own or go to jail), abuse of commerce clause to control farmers, appointment of progressive justices to supreme court, and also making AMERICANS of Asian ancestery go to camps during WW2.

What next, if you live in a floodplain and don't buy flood insurance for your own good, you pay a tax? Cell phones are for your safety, if you don't purchase a plan, you pay a tax. But right now if you are on govt assistance you get a free cell phone. Gotta pay for the free cell phones by forcing people to buy cell phones.

But if you can't pay your mortgage you get the principal balance cut down. If you can pay your mortgage you pay the whole thing and then an extra tax on that. Mess up in business you get money but if you are successful you pay more.

If you live in a populated area and do not take public transit, you will pay a tax on your income you make when not taking public transit. How will the .gov know that you didn't take the bus or subway? You will have a card to swipe (already there) linked to your social security number to tell the IRS.

Live on your own property, make good money, and don't choose to live in government approved apartments, then pay a tax Live in the .govt apartments and no tax. If you choose Mazda over GM, Ford, or Chrysler, you pay another tax.

Very dangerous court precedent for the wrong idiot politicians to really abuse people.

Some are more equal than others. As long as politicians and the extreme rich are never held to the same standards as the common man this is the path we will continue to go down.

Edited by 270win

Don't think this is a slam dunk for O in November. They will cheer it like they won, but if Romney and the ® s can force feed America the fact they just raised taxes on the middle class, (and every class for that matter), just like O promised he wouldn't do. And as a fact went on national tv with George Stephanopoulos and said " this is not a tax". Well apparently the SCOTUS says differently.

There are provisions that specifically prohibit keeping records or databases based on the ownership of firearms or ammunition.

Right cause we all know that'll stop them from doing it. If it wasn't prohibited, think of all records the ATF would have..oh wait :doh:

• Like 1

Well, it mainly shows that elections have consequences. The opposite of the "makes no diff who's in office" sentiment.

ObamaCare was passed with a duly elected majority of House and Senate supporting it. The People sent those reps and senators there, and theoretically, they did the will of their constituencies.

As far as Roberts, part of his philosophy is to find a way to allow the will of the people to prevail through finding a way to allow laws coming from the Hill to constitutionally prevail if at all possible.

It is very likely that had ObamaCare been passed with the "individual mandate" defined as a "tax" instead of "penalty", the SCOTUS would never have even heard it.

The one thing that folks are underestimating is the Medicaid part that was thrown out: it is going to have some very decisive effects on the states and consequently back on the feds as the states react and don't or simply can not comply.

At any rate, I'll say it again: ObamaCare passed under the 111th Congress. It would not have passed under the 112th.

Whether the US eventually becomes a failed state under either party is an extended debate. However, in real time, elections have consequences.

And though it's a different tack on the topic, the decision today may in an ironic way be quite the boon for the GOP this Nov. ObamaCare alone was certainly a big reason the GOP made historic gains in Congress in the midterm elections, so we'll see.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 4

I, too, have been reading the opinion and concur with Chip's assessment. To me this is a very strange ruling. In essence, it says the federal government can tax us, as individuals in any way it chooses. For example, if Congress decided every adult, for the general welfare, needed, for example a firearm and that anyone who refused to purchase said firearm was subject to a tax, it could do so under the reasoning of today's decision. This has to be seen as one of the most outrageous erosions of individual liberty in the history of the republic. There is nothing the government cannot now force us to do through the taxation power. This is no longer any limit on federal power over us as individuals. Truly a sad day.

I really think this signals the end of America as we know it. Obama now knows he can do anything he wants. If he declared himself God and required everyone to bow down to him, he could get 50% of the people and 4 justices to support him. If he gets one more justice, he will be our fuhrer.

Glenn

Just received from Ron Ramsey (I was hoping he was going to say that TN was going to fight it):

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=98803e3ce6864075cbd1f5f26&id=3d873068cd&e=7a4f168065

STATE OF TENNESSEE

state_seal.jpg

OFFICE OF THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR

SPEAKER OF THE SENATE

Dear Friend,

As you likely have heard by now, today the Supreme Court upheld Obamacare's individual mandate calling it what the Obama administration had always asserted it was not: a large new tax. In a shocking move, Chief Justice Roberts sided with the left - betraying the high hopes so many conservatives had for him.

It is intensely disappointing that this court failed to recognize what constitutionalists and conservatives know deep in their hearts: A federal government which can coerce its people to buy a product is a government unrestrained and out of control. Democrat Governor Phil Bredesen called Obamacare the 'mother of all unfunded mandates' and stated it will cost Tennesseans 1.1 billion dollars in the next few years.

However, the fight does not end here. The court may have made its decision today but the people have yet to speak. When they do, Mitt Romney will be elected president and I will do all I can to aid him as he fulfills his solemn promise to repeal this insidious law.

I hope you will join me this election season and work hard to elect true conservatives committed to preserving our liberty. This is not an end. This is a beginning. The final battle for our liberty has just begun.

Sincerely,

RRSignature_crop.gif

Ronald L. Ramsey

Lieutenant Governor

Speaker of the Senate

1 Legislative Plaza

Nashville, TN 37243

(615) 741-4524