Check this magazine out

WEIGHT– 3.95 lbs. dry: a fully loaded 150 round CL-MAG and an M4 are lighter than an unloaded M249.

It may be lighter but an M16 does not fill the role of a squad support weapon no matter the magazine capacity.

It may be lighter but an M16 does not fill the role of a squad support weapon no matter the magazine capacity.

+1 or at least not in a closed bolt gun. There are several variants of the AR that fire from an open bolt and those would fill the role well providing the barrel was heavy enough. Another gun this might work really well with is the Shrike which is a upper I have drooled over for a very, very long time.

I know my next AR build is going to be a "crew served" type gun capable of extended firing times. I am probably going to use a .960" barrel with cooling fins machined in for more surface area. It will also likely be a gas piston setup to prevent the gas tube from become plasticized and blowing up with the increased rates of fire.

Dolomite

I've been on the fence post to buy one of these mags for awhile, I've talked to a couple of people and they said it runs great only with 55g bullets, 62's drag, there is a newer verision coming out soon called the saw light, it is one drum with 70+/- round capacity...

The Shrike while its rated for the M16 platform, it's very hard on the lower, heavyer bolt/ heavyer buffer, with a ROF around 850+, all that cycling mass is very hard on your $12000+ lower, now if you were using a RDIAS I wouldn't loose any sleep.

I'm trying to see the practical application for this passed the "cool factor." First off, if you try to run that amount of ammo through an M4, the way the description reads, as a SAW you're going to have some big problems around the end of the second drum. There is a reason you have to change out barrels every so often on a MG. I don't see LEO or Military guys buying these up for use for a lot of reasons: 1. price; 2. potential mockery; 3. weight; 4. lack of practical application. Any organization that needs some kinda support by fire capability already has something that eats its ammo on a belt.

Besides, with an MSRP of $1,000 I could just buy another AR and dual wield them the way they do in the movies. That's about as realistic as this drum is. Gay.

• Like 2

It doesn't cost $1000, it cost $390

http://www.armatac.com/?page_id=158

I'm not a drum fan, I just don't like the look, if someone would build a true saw mag (hard shell,not the cloth zipper one) that looks like a M249 and it inserted into the mag well I'd buy it...

I didn't Google it or anything, I just saw the MSRP at the bottom of the page:

The CL-MAG can replace some of the M249 belt-fed weapons with a lighter, high-volume firing automatic rifle that is a better logistical fit within military units.

Patents Pending, MSRP $997.00

Even at $400 it is far from worth it. This is one of those things that I'd be like "hey, here's a bunch of parts and crap that I don't use... sure I'll trade for this obnoxious drum so I can show it off at family get togethers." Plus they misused the term "force multiplier" in the advertisement. I expect to see this on a YouTube channel with a couple of half-wits killing soda cans and zombie targets, having no less than 5 major safety violations in the process.

Edited by TMF 18B
  • 2 weeks later...

I predict they sell each and every one that they make before the next election. I have one glorious morning's experience shooting an MP5 a Colt Commando clone. The owner had 20 mags for each weapon fully loaded upon our arrival at the berms. Only catch was I had to load the empty magazines while we shot, and pack all of them away fully loaded as I found them. Anyways I spent every moment non-shooter second, besides safety instructions, loading magazines. My friend predicted that I'd get tired of loading magazines before he ran out of ammo. A BoyScout troop showed up around noon, to our suprise, there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground. I've always worked with my hands and my right thumb was feeling a little burnt. To the few lucky people.who have the means and opportunities to shoot M16's etc... I can see how an 150 round capacity mag would be extremely appealing. Especially when it could be a long time until we can buy non-reduced capacity magazines again. Remember last time? I'm not being political, the GOP attacks my job every chance it gets. BUT if I purchase what I want now I can vote for my paycheck later. Unfortunately I'm in no position to buy any more goodies right now. Strayed a little off course, if Dolamite says something is cool. It Is.