My new SA Revolver

Well I just went and bought a new single-action. Wasn't meaning to today or even a new one for that fact but hey, life is short. I just fell in love with this Uberti/Cimarron "Evil Roy" .357 stainless with a 4.75" barrel. The gun is modeled after the 1873 Colt I understand. It has "Evil Roy" engraved in the barrel. It is the alias of a SA cowboy shooting champion Gene Pearcy. I had heard the name but didn't make the connection til I did a little reading. The gun was a little over my budget but once I handled it I just fell in love. The action is the smoothest of any gun I have ever handled. I had never heard of the gun but have been doing a little studying since I bought it. Haven't fired it yet. Almost a shame to being so beautiful. I took a few pics. Anyone else have any dealings with this gun or know anything more about them? I think it'll be a good one. a6f84d9e-d366-0f33.jpga6f84d9e-d36e-5e4b.jpga6f84d9e-d377-0e76.jpga6f84d9e-d382-a252.jpga6f84d9e-d38b-95b9.jpg

Edited by glowdotGlock

Gorgeous gun. I don't know anything about that, particular gun but I really like SA revolvers and I really like .357s. My only SA revolvers at the moment are a Heritage Rough Rider .22 combo and a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag but a .357 single action (probably a Blackhawk) is pretty high up on my want list (along with a Rossi .357, 16 inch barreled lever gun.) I don't shoot SAA or Cowboy Action, either - like you, I just really like those guns.

Edited by JAB

Me neither. I have bought and sold so many over the years that I have gained self control. I have even bought and sold some without even firing a shot. I believe this one will be with me a while though. Looks like it's gonna be hard to find grips though.

Edited by glowdotGlock

I don't know about the Ubertis, but the Colt grips supposedly vary so much that most custom grip makers prefer to have the gun in hand in order to fit them properly. I would expect grips for a Colt SAA would roughly fit, as it appears to be an exact copy.

What kind of grips are you looking for?

You know, there's a Colt SAA in my safe that I've never fired. No one else has either, since it was made in 1967. I may have to change that one day soon.

Well I just went out and put some lead down range for the first time with it. I am extremely pleased with it. The only .357 rounds I had were a box of hollow point 132 grain Fiochi. I took a 50 round box out and was really impressed. I shot anywhere from 8-25 yards and stayed on mark every time. I will probably take it out this weekend and shoot it off the bench at some of the shoot-n-see's I have. Can't wait to see how it really shoots when I get down to the nitty gritty. But so far, I'm in love.

Glad it's a shooter. I can't help by like the looks if that loading gate. What's the deal there? Can it be loaded/unloaded without opening? Or just cosmetic? Either way great looking piece.

I like single actions for the same reason Hipower isn't in love with them. Like a single shot rifle, after taking the time and going through the motions of loading I tend to take a bit more time with the shooting. Plus I find the whole process relaxing, probably because I don't do it competivaly. Also helps with another problem I have of going out and burning through 50 rounds in 15 minutes.

Glad it's a shooter. I can't help by like the looks if that loading gate. What's the deal there? Can it be loaded/unloaded without opening? Or just cosmetic? Either way great looking piece....

??

Traditional single action revolvers have loading gate with manual ejector rod, loaded/unloaded one chamber at a time. The cylinder does not swing out as with double action revos.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

??

Traditional single action revolvers have loading gate with manual ejector rod, loaded/unloaded one chamber at a time. The cylinder does not swing out as with double action revos.

- OS

Yup.

That's why I'm curious as to why the loading gate is cutaway like it is. It almost looks as though you wouldn't have to swing it open but I can't imagine that being too practical.

The loading gate on mine is solid covering the cylinder.

OK I'm officially on the short bus.

It looked to me as though the gate was closed with a notch cutaway. Upon reevaluation the gate is in fact open and what I'm seeing is the frame.

Sometimes viewing on an iPhone has it's advantages, this was not one of those times.

• Like 1