M1 Carbine

Sniper23

I have an IBM M1 Carbine that I know next to nothing about. It's in great condition and shoots flawlessly. I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping around. Also, I'm considering the idea of trading it for an AR-15. Let's hear everyone's opinions.

From a dollar for dollar position, the M1 is equivalent to many entry-level ARs. Difference being, the carbine isn't current production, whereas the AR is, and is common as dirt.

For HD, the carbine is a better choice, in my opinion. It will hit harder at HD/SD ranges (with soft point ammo). It is lighter and handier. It doesn't scream 'tactical ninja' should you wind up in court for shooting someone with it.

You can get another AR easily. Getting another carbine in good condition won't be so easy.

Honestly, I would hang on to it. There is no shortage of companies that are producing ARs. If money is the issue, go and just buy a stripped AR lower. At least you can piece it together as you get cash, and if you get one now you don't have to worry about a BS ban coming out in a few years that would prevent you from making it "scary" looking. I plan on buying a couple of AR lowers myself for just that purpose. I know there are a few builds I would like to do, but will have to piece them together over a year or two to keep it off the wife's radar. I would gladly dump one of my ARs for an M1 if I wasn't emotionally attached to my rifles. I actually planned on doing that with an extra one I built, but ended up giving it away as a gift.

If it were me, I would hang on to it. I can promise you that you will regret it if you dump it for an AR.

Edited by TMF
Guest 6.8 AR

I saw a rough looking carbine in a gun shop, yesterday. I think it was around $700. I also saw a very rough

looking Garand at the same shop for around $800, I think.

I would keep it for all the reasons everyone else said.

From an investment perspective, I feel the carbine would be a far better choice than an AR. I believe the market has been flooded with ARs. I expect one of two things will happen with ARs in the next couple of years; 1)they will be illegal to own, or 2)the dust will settle after this election, and there have been so many purchased out of fear that you'll be able to pick them up for peanuts at any neighborhood yard sale.

In the interest of full disclosure, I own two m1 carbines, and no ARs, so I am biased.

I am usually of the opinion that if you're unsure; get both.

Edited by gregintenn

From an investment perspective, I feel the carbine would be a far better choice than an AR. I believe the market has been flooded with ARs. I expect one of two things will happen with ARs in the next couple of years; 1)they will be illegal to own, or 2)the dust will settle after this election, and there have been so many purchased out of fear that you'll be able to pick them up for peanuts at any neighborhood yard sale.

This! Hopefully the dust will settle after the election!

This! Hopefully the dust will settle after the election!

Oh, it'll be temporary, but it will calm down. I've seen it happen to one extent or another for several election cycles now. Remember the 2008 election? You couldn't find a box of 380 ammo or a primer anywhere! I saw one asshatl at a gun show selling 380 ammo for $100 per box....and people were buying it!!!!

From an investment perspective, I feel the carbine would be a far better choice than an AR. I believe the market has been flooded with ARs. I expect one of two things will happen with ARs in the next couple of years;

1)they will be illegal to own, or

2)the dust will settle after this election, and there have been so many purchased out of fear that you'll be able to pick them up for peanuts at any neighborhood yard sale.

or:

3) You'll need a functioning rifle when the State of Tennessee activates the Unorganized Militia to form a Local Regiment to defend the County Courthouse.

:pleased:

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1

You know what the problem is? I've actually shot the thing. I never should have done that! Back in the safe she goes. Maybe I'll get rid of something else less fun. Thanks for all the input guys.

Now you're talking! An m1 carbine is the favorite of my wife and children for plinking around here. Shooting one always brings a smile.