Bristol Tenn. and Bristol Va. getting Bass Pro and Cabela's

waynesan

Earlier this week it was announced that Bass Pro would be coming to Bristol Tennessee and that dominated the local news for several days. Yesterday it was announced that Cabela's would be coming to Bristol Virginia (just 5 miles from where the new Bass Pro is going to build). I enjoy going to the Bass Pro in Sevierville and the Cabela's in Billings Montana that I visited 3 years ago blew me away. I loved that store. I just can't see this area being able to support both stores being that close together. I guess we'll see.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not at all excited about Bass Pro, but Cabelas would be really nice. They built a Cabela's about 1.5 hrs from my hometown in Wheeling WV. That place gets people to drive there from 3+hrs away. I don't doubt they can support both. Think about the distance to the next nearest BP or Cabelas from rural East Tennessee, Virginia, NC, and even Kentucky. They will be busy.

I thought BP and Cabelas would not build that close to each other. I guess that was just speculation.

Been to 3 different BPS they all were pretty cool. Even though they never have anything they advertise in their fliers. But when I went to a Cabela's outside of Chicago, Thats when I saw what a mega outdoor store should be. I wish they would build one closer to Knoxville.

I love any store with lot's of great camping, hunting, fishing and shooting gear. I've only had the opportunity to visit Bass Pro but I've bought a lot of stuff online from Cabella's so I'm looking forward to my fist chance to get to one that is a reasonable driving distance. I probably won't go just for that specific purpose but I'm in that area now and then so I'll definitely be stopping by. :)

I imagine both will be packed with the NASCAR crowd when there is a race.

Which would make them pretty much like every other store in the area during race week.

Apparently, there was quite a bit of "Here, stick this in your eye" when it came to timing of the Cabela's announcement - which was the day before BPS was due to ceremoniously break ground on the Bristol TN site, since a bunch of the BPS folks are in town for the race. And mysteriously enough, Cabela's commercials ran with incredible frequency during last night's broadcast of the truck race (which featured a BPS-sponsored truck that ironically ran out of gas on the last restart).

I find it hard to believe they would both build in a market the size of Tri-Cities.

Maybe Cabela's just wants to test the waters in the S.E., then if it works out, move into larger markets.

I would think that a one million MSA would be required to support one, much less 2.

Would LOVE to have Cabelas come to the Nashville area, maybe out in Murfreesboro or Hendersonville. . . . wishful thinking.

They have a Cabelas in Buda, Texas just outside of Austin, and people drive from San Antonio and further to get to it. The Hampton Inn and other hotels built up near the store to serve the overnighters.

Edited by QuietDan

There's a lot fewer 1 mill MSA's than you might think. And typically if they reach that number they may not support hunting and fishing. I am acquainted with the guy doing the BP development. He has had some degree of success in the SE by targeting suburban/semi-rural areas that are accessed by more than one major roadway within a 100 mile radius. There's some magic population number he favors.

Seems to me that both retailers are ascribing to a similar theory

There's a lot fewer 1 mill MSA's than you might think. And typically if they reach that number they may not support hunting and fishing. I am acquainted with the guy doing the BP development. He has had some degree of success in the SE by targeting suburban/semi-rural areas that are accessed by more than one major roadway within a 100 mile radius. There's some magic population number he favors.

Seems to me that both retailers are ascribing to a similar theory

Exactly! It's not the town market, it's available access from rural America. If its easy to access, people will come. Like I said above Cabela's built outside Wheeling, WV which makes the Tri-cities look like a grand metropolis.

I would love a cabelas around knoxville.

Sent from secret underground bunker

Me too. I do not make it to Bristol at all these days. Not sure if I'm willing to drive a couple hours just to visit Cabelas. We already have a huge selection of sporting goods stores in and around Knoxville. Maybe that's why they chose Bristol.

Me too. I do not make it to Bristol at all these days. Not sure if I'm willing to drive a couple hours just to visit Cabelas. We already have a huge selection of sporting goods stores in and around Knoxville. Maybe that's why they chose Bristol.

I think you'd be surprised at the amount of hunting gear they have in-store. Now if that's not your thing then it wouldn't be worth the drive. I've lived in Knoxville for a while and frankly if I'm gonna buy new hunting clothes or gear I'm buying online because Knoxville's selection is limited.