Am I Wrong About TN Law?

Clod Stomper

Guest stovepipe

+1 on presenting your permit at the same time as your DL... When the officer runs your license, It's going to show-up that you have a permit, so better to start the conversation on the front end.

I’m no lawyer but I don’t see anything that would cause anyone to think there is a duty to inform. I would be curious to hear from a Shift Commander why he thinks there is. Is there case law or something?

I’m a former street cop, so I’m going to inform out of courtesy, respect, and for the safety of everyone involved......And to try to get out of a ticket. biggrin.gif

Cops get the law wrong all the time; they are just people. Now is your opportunity to have a friendly discussion with him again at your follow-up. If he finds he was wrong he may pass it on in the form of training.

It's gotten me out of a ticket, Dave. Keep doing it. :D
Guest mcgyver210

Some states are must inform, others are not.

TN is not a must inform.

However I understand if stopped, provide my DL and HCP. If ask if you have any firearms, don't lie, answer correctly.(they almost always ask, I have heard this question in their fishing trip before)

Many people here have said their firearms have been taking back to the police car, SN ran for stolen and returned.

I think it is crossing the 4th amendment when they take it and run the SN when for example they only have you for a minor traffic stop.

Some here have said, sometimes the officers tell you to leave it alone and don't check it, while others have it temporary removed, checked, unloaded and returned with bullets.

So policy seems a bit grey, at least different in different areas of the state or depending on how the officers feels.

However, things are changing. In the past, when I have been stopped for minor traffic violations, they only checked me, the driver and never checked ID or anything of my passenger.

Friends tell me now, at least in Oak Ridge, they run checks on everyone in the Car for warrants and stuff.

here is a good handy link

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

You can check every state, for a pretty fair run down of the general laws.

TN

All this is because as far as these types of LEOs go you have no rights because they are above any laws while on the side of the road & nothing will happen if they are challenged & found to be wrong.

We live in a Police State where they can do anything they want & call it disobeying a Lawful order even though in many case it is really contempt of cop & not even close to a lawful order.

Going to a supervisor is a joke IMO & could open you up to more harassment & intimidation. IMO we make too many excuses for wrong doing by the ones that are supposed to be the good guys. This does a disservice to the Good ones.

I’m no lawyer but I don’t see anything that would cause anyone to think there is a duty to inform. I would be curious to hear from a Shift Commander why he thinks there is. Is there case law or something?

I’m a former street cop, so I’m going to inform out of courtesy, respect, and for the safety of everyone involved......And to try to get out of a ticket. biggrin.gif

Cops get the law wrong all the time; they are just people. Now is your opportunity to have a friendly discussion with him again at your follow-up. If he finds he was wrong he may pass it on in the form of training.

This ^

The couple of times that I have been stopped while carrying over the years, I have always informed and presented my permit and DL at the same time. LEOs are just people doing a thankless job, for less money than they deserve.

If you treat them as equals, you will normally be fine. They don't have any authority over you unless you give them a reason to believe that you are committing a crime or are endangering their safety.

I have run across a couple of hot heads that think their badge makes them some sort of deity. In those cases, just ask politely to speak with their supervisor.

Edited by quietguy

I've never heard of one but it could be a city ordinance to inform. I really doubt it but it's possible.

Unless it was in effect prior to 1968, Tennessee does not allow local laws regarding firearms or their transportation other than the exceptions listed in 39-17-1311 (Parks).