What is this kid holding?

monkeylizard

It's a toy. Kids there run around with these things all the time. Lucky the first time I saw one of these little bastards with their real looking pistols they were playing cops and robbers with each other, cause if they had pointed it at us while we were riding by it would have ended badly.

Thanks. Sig was my gut feeling, but it doesn't quite match up with any that I know of. I thought it might be an older discontinued model, or some Iranian made knock-off shipped in to Hezbollah.

Toy makes more sense because the guy on the edge of the photo doesn't seem worried that a 3 year old kid has a gun pointed at his head.

Edited by monkeylizard

Toy makes more sense because the guy on the edge of the photo doesn't seem to worried that a 3 year old kid has a gun pointed at his head.

Haha, there is a video I saw of a 3 year old at an Iraqi wedding who is handling a BHP while the owner of it sits there and allows it to be pointed at him. It gets really funny when the three year old gut shoots him. These folks are the rednecks of the middle east... no offense to rednecks. I come from a family of them so I know the stereotype well.

Guest rebeldrummer

Haha, there is a video I saw of a 3 year old at an Iraqi wedding who is handling a BHP while the owner of it sits there and allows it to be pointed at him. It gets really funny when the three year old gut shoots him. These folks are the rednecks of the middle east... no offense to rednecks. I come from a family of them so I know the stereotype well.

I saw that too! pretty funny....

i agree that this is a toy....pretty cool looking one at that!

I could not get any of the markings to pop out of the pic, its not quite good enough. Almost though. Darn wavelet damage made it hopeless.... if I could get the precompressed file, I bet I could read it.

Unscaled by the HTML:

mysterygun1.jpg

Upsampled and blown out:

mysterygun.jpg

Unless they were digitally zapped on purpose, I don't believe there are any factory markings on it. Think it's a toy.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

It's a toy. Kids there run around with these things all the time. Lucky the first time I saw one of these little bastards with their real looking pistols they were playing cops and robbers with each other, cause if they had pointed it at us while we were riding by it would have ended badly.

We had a very exciting day when a kid did the "squat" and pointed a rifle in our direction. Almost turned out real bad except our terp waved us off. Turns out the kids were using a pellet rifle to hunt birds for dinner. Talk about a "Oh S**t" moment when the kid produced a rifle as we were out in the open.

I think he did it as a joke and that is why we tore into the kid then turned him over to the local cops for a bit of Afghan justice. I swear that kid had 20 dusty boot prints on his ass.

Dolomite

We had a very exciting day when a kid did the "squat" and pointed a rifle in our direction. Almost turned out real bad except our terp waved us off. Turns out the kids were using a pellet rifle to hunt birds for dinner. Talk about a "Oh S**t" moment when the kid produced a rifle as we were out in the open.

I think he did it as a joke and that is why we tore into the kid then turned him over to the local cops for a bit of Afghan justice. I swear that kid had 20 dusty boot prints on his ass.

Dolomite

The first ones I saw were in Iraq around 2005ish, before airsoft became a big thing for the Xbox'ers that didn't have the balls to enlist. We were just going from point A to B in the city when I saw a few kids chasing each other with very realistic looking pistols, so I'm like "WTF". One of the other guys in the truck said he's seen them in the market before being sold. My next thought was how jacked up the parents were considering the security situation and how trigger happy the ING, CF and random security forces were. I'm sure there were dozens of kids that got ventilated over those things. I mean, I'm not the most trigger happy person I know, but I woulda mowed those kids down had they been pointed at us.

The absolutely biggest "OH S**T!!!!" moment I ever had was in Bosnia. We had established a check point and some kids came up begging for stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary until a few days later when they got comfortable. One kid, probably 8-10, came up holding a stack of AP mines. He was struggling to hold them because he had so many. He wanted us to buy them for like 5 Marks each. The "OH S**T!!!" moment came when I asked if they had been disarmed and got a blank stare. Evidentally the kids had went out into a field and dug them up in hopes we would buy them. The kid was struggling to hold them and almost dropped them right in front of me. I thought long and hard about that day and realized that may have been the end had the kid dropped them. We calmly told him we weren't interested but called EOD to come take care of them.

Bosnia was a strange world. I met a 12 year old arms dealer, saw AK's and SKS's stacked like cord wood and the biggest sniper rifle I have ever seen. It was either a 20mm or 25mm bolt action. It was about 8 feet long and had to weigh 150 pounds. Tuzla and the surrounding area wasn't that bad. Yeah things were obliterated but not like the ZOS. The ZOS was such a wasteland that any time we entered my pucker factor increased.

Something else kind of funny. I collected "bikini babies" stickers that came in local packs of gum. I would trade what was left of my MRE for a pack or two. They were marketed to kids but had scantily clad women on stickers. The inside of my helmet was filled with them until an overzealous LT told me to remove them.

As much as deployments suck I actually didn't mind that one too much. Fun times.

Dolomite

• Like 1

As much as deployments suck I actually didn't mind that one too much. Fun times.

Dolomite

I have no clue why but I miss Afghanistan. I was there at a great time and with a great group and I think about it a lot. I believe a lot of it had to do with hopes of the future and thinking about what to do when you get back.

Off topic, but I miss my deployments. Even the MEU, which was way to many months out to sea on a Navy ship. I got to see places I may never see again, and do things that a lot of people will never have the chance to experience. And the tax free pay checks weren't to bad either lol But, I did have a kid in the Philippines try to sell me a USMC issued M9 with ammo. I got him to hang around and called the LT for our unit, and we confiscated it when he showed up. Turned out he had snatched it from a SNCO's room about 2 hours prior in the hotel where all the officers and senior enlisted were living.

Edited by Spots