Gun range receives alcohol permit

The same kind of people that think guns jump up and shoot people all by itself must be the same kind of people that think no man is capable of stopping at one or two drinks.

If I have a Guiness or 2 while throwing darts at Mulligans, that doesn't mean I'll be hurling my Bottelsens at the other patrons or assaulting folks in the parking lot with them when I leave.

...boy, some Scotch eggs would be good now.

I hate to be the naysayer, but places like this actually exist all over. I've even been to one outside DC a few times that caters to the pol types and has a very, very upscale bar less than 100 ft from their ranges. No one has been shot there, and no one has been on the range shooting drunk. Not a big deal so long as the operators of the facility are responsible.

To put it in perspective, what is to keep someone from nailing back beers before going to any of the local ranges you frequent? Think it doesn't happen? Oh yes it does.

EDIT:

It is also is a cigar bar, so yes, it is the absolute ATF model. It also happens to be just down the road from ATF headquarters. How the world hasn't spun off its axis in the years after its opening, I dunno.

Edited by TMF

Come on now fellas, don't be like Gail Kerr and the rest of the media when the TN legislature was trying to get the restaurant carry bill passed into law. "Blood in the streets!!!" "Shootouts in bars!!!!".

Ain't nothing gonna happen.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

Back in Ca we'd load up the car with guns, ammo, beer and some sandwiches and make a whole day out of shooting in the desert. No one got hurt and everyone had a great time.

To paraphrase what's been said already, guns don't just go off and if you can't safely operate one after a few drinks you either can't handle your booze or shouldn't be handling guns.

Governors Gun Club has been granted permission to obtain a serving license in our members lounge. The lounge is not available to the general public or all club members. The lounge is only accessed by key cards issued to a limited group of members (Full Metal Jacket Members). All food and beverage services will be charged to the member’s account allowing tracking of their beverage purchases. Once a beverage is purchased on the customer’s account, the account is flagged and they cannot be checked into the range that day. Full Metal Jacket Members who wish to have a drink after shooting have available to them Gun Valet Service. This service allows their firearms to be stored in the facility vault until a future visits. Additionally, the members with the required level of access to the lounge have member lockers available to them.

Georgia law provides that persons with permits may carry firearms in restaurants and bars that serve alcohol; however, more stringent rules and measures are being implemented in the club. Service is not available to the general public or all club members, it is only available to a limited group of members. Members CANNOT drink and shoot, drink then shoot, or drink while in possession of a firearm. Members have strict contractual rules of their membership privileges that address facility conduct including drinking. The members lounge is not a bar and will not be used as one. This is a relaxing social atmosphere for members to enjoy food and limited drinks responsibly. Irresponsible and excessive drinking will not be tolerated by members, and will not be served by the staff. Members must be responsible firearm owners and responsible drinkers; otherwise they will not be patrons or members at the facility.

Most of the City Council Members and the Mayor are satisfied with guidelines and measures we are taking to insure a safe environment. Opposition was from council member Nancy Hudson who votes against ALL alcohol applications. Two citizens spoke in opposition to the application. One simply stated that “Alcohol and firearms do not mix.†The second person to speak did not address the application, rather their interpretation and opinion of a specific council member’s comment.

We know that unfortunately not everyone who owns a firearm exercises the necessary responsibility, but most firearm owners accept the obligation and grave responsibility that goes along with gun ownership. We also know that alcohol can and is often abused by many; however, it is unfair for some to assume that everyone who drinks is incapable of exercising personal responsibility and restraint and would choose to make that decision for everyone.

doesnt sound bad.....maybe

the place where I shoot has a bar. I could go and shoot, go have beers and then go back and shoot some more. Of course I could get rocked somewhere else and then go to the range. There is nothing stopping me from doing that other than personal responsibility.

I see this whole deal as a non issue.

• Like 2

Yep. I have loaded guns around me all the time when I'm drinking at home. I drank enough Maker's Mark one night (by accident) to shave off a 30+ year old mustache, but didn't shoot anything. Alcohol + guns doesn't automatically mean tragedy. Gotta have some stupid in there somewhere as well.