Wild Hog

This wild Boar was taken on a hunt on Fort Campbell on Monday 1 Oct 2012. Piggy weighed in at 311 pounds. Had 3 1/4 inch tusk and 2 1/2 inch whesks. His neck is 37 inches around. I am currently in the process of preparing him to mount.

davepic077.jpg

Another shot...

davepic074.jpg

A shot of him on the floor...

davepic075.jpg

....A whole damn bunch of sausage!!! Oh yeah...and another one on the wall!!

Dave S

very light colored.... almost looks like an albino ..

Or maybe a wild boar x domestic?

and its HUGE..Grats :)

My friend took a sow last year from the same area. She was blonde also. I think I got her 'old man' this year. These are the only two blonde hogs I've ever seen. I believe they are cross. I've gotten some off the refuge that were pure "russian boar". Transplanted from some where!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

What are the regulations for wild hog hunting on base? Also, what did you take him with?

Fort Campbell (un-like the state of Tennessee) wants the hogs gone. They are legal to take by any lisenced deer hunter on post. Bow, Muzzleloader and shotgun is legal. There are alot of hogs on post and they want you to kill everyone you see!

Dave S

That there is a fine looking pig. How much sausage so you think a guy could get out of one of those things? That's one thing that's stopping me from hog hunting, I have no idea how much freezer space to designate for something like that.

Good job!

Very nice hog!

Humm... I've seen a number of charts indicating where wild hog populations were located in Tennessee and didn't notice Ft. Campbell as one of them?

Any idea how long the pigs have been there and if they are expanding their range?

Based on your descriptions, I'm a guessen a pair of domestics must have escaped captivity not long ago in that area and are going, "wee, wee, wee all the way home"?

Reading the TN. regulations on wild hog hunting, it appears to me they're not serious about eradicating them from the state, but rather regulating them as a sport game. Another thing I've noticed here in my neck of the woods, we're being invaded with those nasty armadillos.

One other question. Taste wise, is there much difference between a wild bore or domestic raised?

Very nice hog!

Humm... I've seen a number of charts indicating where wild hog populations were located in Tennessee and didn't notice Ft. Campbell as one of them?

Any idea how long the pigs have been there and if they are expanding their range?

Based on your descriptions, I'm a guessen a pair of domestics must have escaped captivity not long ago in that area and are going, "wee, wee, wee all the way home"?

Reading the TN. regulations on wild hog hunting, it appears to me they're not serious about eradicating them from the state, but rather regulating them as a sport game. Another thing I've noticed here in my neck of the woods, we're being invaded with those nasty armadillos.

One other question. Taste wise, is there much difference between a wild bore or domestic raised?

Domstic hogs and wild boar? HUGE difference..

Domestic raised wild boar ( no X) and domestic raised hogs.. ( still HUGE difference )

even if its a X of wild boar and domestic pig.. still HUGE difference

Food has a lot to do with it...

TN will lose out on revenue if we eraticate them... they will regulate it until kingdom come..UNTIL it becomes so bad and we end up like TX or FL.. then they will realize they messed up.. but then its to late..

Very nice hog!

I like wild hog over domestic. Wild hog is much leaner and doesn't have the fat "farmer Browns's" pig has. You are right. I'm seeing more and more hogs than ever. Tennessee is full of crap when they say their new hog policy is working! I'll say it to their face!!

There have been feral hogs on Fort Campbell for about the last 8 to 10 years!

As far as taste goes? I prefer Wild over Domestic! Whole lot better taste!

Dave S

Domstic hogs and wild boar? HUGE difference..

Domestic raised wild boar ( no X) and domestic raised hogs.. ( still HUGE difference )

even if its a X of wild boar and domestic pig.. still HUGE difference

Food has a lot to do with it...

TN will lose out on revenue if we eraticate them... they will regulate it until kingdom come..UNTIL it becomes so bad and we end up like TX or FL.. then they will realize they messed up.. but then its to late..

Your right but, I don't think they'll ever realize they messed up.

I called TWRA years ago and asked why was Feral hogs a big game animal if they're such a pest? This was back when hogs were 1 of the 4 big game animals. I asked the guy that answered, why if they're such a pest and so destructive, why don't TWRA just let the legal hunters go crazy on'em. He said, yeah they're pretty destructive but, didn't have an answer. He just talked around it. Sounded like a crooked politician.

I called TWRA years ago and asked why was Feral hogs a big game animal if they're such a pest? This was back when hogs were 1 of the 4 big game animals. I asked the guy that answered, why if they're such a pest and so destructive, why don't TWRA just let the legal hunters go crazy on'em. He said, yeah they're pretty destructive but, didn't have an answer. He just talked around it. Sounded like a crooked politician.

And they still talk like polititians when the subject comes up.

Dave S

I'm not criticizing TWRA with my following comments, as to maintain a hunt-able population of wild game we need someone to establish bag limits and regulate the sport, but...

Every state I've lived in, you have to take at least an hour prior to hunting / fishing, especially if you're hunting a new area, to read all the hunting / fishing regulations and follow all the asterisks and pound signs around from page to page, not to be in violation of anything.

Many of the regulations make no sense to me and I'm of the opinion politics are influencing regulation more than necessary. In addition, make a minor small error and get caught by a Game Warden, such as for example a few inches less of blaze orange on when required in the field, and you're going to get a ticket. It seems all Game Wardens follow the law to the "T" and seldom cut a break for a minor honest to goodness silly mistake.

If I were King of Tennessee fish, game and wildlife regulations, here's what I would do...

I'd appoint a non political panel of maybe five or so hunters and or fishermen because they would have a horse in the race. The panel would be rotated and replaced every 3-5 years as not to get stale or too comfortable in the position so that they look out for the best interests of our sportsman and bring fresh view points to the table.

No new rules or regulations would be implemented or changed without the approval of say... 3/4 of the board. The regulations would be simplified down to specific intent.

And speaking of intent... If not immediately obvious to a lay person upon reading the rule / regulation, a simple explanation of why the rule / regulation was implemented would accompany the change.

My logic? The vast majority of wildlife habitat is privately owned. We pay property taxes on the use and management of that land. Game and wildlife are considered the property of the people (State). The game and wildlife are on the welfare food stamp program getting a free lunch on my garden and crops :rofl:

Hunters, fisherman and property owners should have more input and influence on sport regulations, not just writing in your comments for consideration.

• Like 1