Show Me The Law

I really wish someone would show me evidence of a Federal and/or State of Tennessee law that prohibits truck drivers from carrying a handgun. I can not find one.

I keep running into these people who insist that it's against the law for a truck driver to carry a firearm, but none have been able to show me proof. I am fully aware that some cities/states have laws against carrying firearms, and I could see there being an issue for drivers who travel in those jurisdictions, but for someone like myself, I can't find the issue.

I only drive my semi in Tennessee and Kentucky, and I have a valid HCP. Where is the law that says I can't carry?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam
I really wish someone would show me evidence of a Federal and/or State of Tennessee law that prohibits truck drivers from carrying a handgun. I can not find one.

I keep running into these people who insist that it's against the law for a truck driver to carry a firearm, but none have been able to show me proof. I am fully aware that some cities/states have laws against carrying firearms, and I could see there being an issue for drivers who travel in those jurisdictions, but for someone like myself, I can't find the issue.

I only drive my semi in Tennessee and Kentucky, and I have a valid HCP. Where is the law that says I can't carry?

Thanks in advance.

Trip Ive been told that by many folks myself. Ive yet to see any proof though.

Guest jp79

I listen to a radio show called guntalk. At least once every 2 weeks this comes up. I have yet to hear of anyone being able to point to anything that sayes it is illegal to have a gun in a commercial vehicle. Most of the people that call in seem to think it is a lie propagated buy the trucking companies so they dont have to listen to drivers complain about their policy.

As far as finding something in the law that sayes its legal. Since its not illegal i doubt you will find it.

the website were you can download past shows is www.guntalk.com

Guest sermon8r

PHMSA Interpretation #06-0165

Aug 24, 2006

PHMSA Response Letter

Aug 24, 2006

Mr. Richard B. Loden Reference No. 06-0165

3959 Chestnut Avenue

Concord, CA 94519

Dear Mr. Loden:

This responds to your letter regarding the applicability of the Hazardous Materials Regulations

(HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171- 180) to the transportation of a loaded personal firearm lawfully

carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator while in the performance of his or her duties.

Specifically, you ask whether the transportation of

such a firearm is prohibited by the HMR under the “forbidden explosives†clause in

§ 173.54(f).

The answer to your question is no. Unless otherwise specified in § 173.54(f), a personal loaded

or unloaded firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator is not considered in

commerce and therefore not subject to the HMR. Under this scenario, a commercial motor

vehicle operator who carries a personal firearm while in the performance of his or her duties is

subject to local or State jurisdiction regarding such matters. This response has been coordinated

with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

I trust this satisfies your inquiry. Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Hattie L. Mitchell

Chief, Regulatory Review and Reinvention

Office of Hazardous Materials Standards

173.54(f)

As far as finding something in the law that sayes its legal. Since its not illegal i doubt you will find it.

I'm trying to find the written law that states it's ILLEGAL to carry in a commercial vehicle, not 'legal' to carry in a commercial vehicle. Because there is no such law (I presume), I'm not likely to ever see it.

I'm trying to find the written law that states it's ILLEGAL to carry in a commercial vehicle, not 'legal' to carry in a commercial vehicle. Because there is no such law (I presume), I'm not likely to ever see it.

You're right, You won't find a law that says it's illegal, because there isn't one.

See this from Handgunlaw.us

I think it is pretty much the same thing sermon8r posted. Although I don't know about all trucking companies not letting you.

Thanks in advance.

No law. Used to be many (and I do mean many) years ago. It was in the commercial carriers handbook, I've actually seen it but it is no longer there.

Who says it is illegal to have a gun in a commercial vehicle? That's news to me.

And if it is true I am guilty from time to time.

And with what you are hauling I would NOT go unarmed.:rolleyes:

Guest shortfri

If anyone wants to do the leg work. If the law is still there it will be in the Tennessee motor vehicle annotated, not the T,C,A, book. I don't own a copy, but i would look thru the michie version.

If anyone wants to do the leg work. If the law is still there it will be in the Tennessee motor vehicle annotated, not the T,C,A, book. I don't own a copy, but i would look thru the michie version.

Not sure what you mean by "Tennessee motor vehicle annotated". Now Title 55 of the T.C.A. deals with Motor Vehicle Laws.

But I'm sure the old law was a Federal Reg, not State anyway. ...and maybe 15 years ago it was true....but times change and I'm sure not everything told in driver's school is 100% correct. :D

Guest nraforlife

This is akin to the Pizza guy not being able to carry per company policy. If it is a company truck maybe they should post the doors. Otherwise frick em

Guest grimel
I'm confident that this law doesn't exist, but other can;t seem to be swayed.

I was talking to one of our drivers, and he swears that when he went through Schneider's driving school 15 years ago, they told him it was against the law. :screwy:

That might be far enough back. Remember, that isn't the type of law anyone is going to jump at updating in the school work.

Guest db99wj
My Father-in-Law was pulled over a few years ago by a female D.O.T. She asked him what he used for protection, to which He replied "A condom...". After the microscope treatment, he was on his way.

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are! ROFLMAO

Guest kwikrnu

I've not heard of any law. I think the only time it would be illegal to have a handgun would be if you entered property which was posted. The company I work for has banned guns and all employees have signed a document stating that.

Guy's it used to be in the Fed.D.O.T handbook many,many Year's ago Don't know about now though .

Yep, but things change... No 55 speed limit, to a 55 speed limit, to back to no 55 speed limit. $1.00 per gallon diesel, bad interstates through AR..oh wait....I-40 is still bad the AR....lol :D

Guest shortfri
Not sure what you mean by "Tennessee motor vehicle annotated". Now Title 55 of the T.C.A. deals with Motor Vehicle Laws.

But I'm sure the old law was a Federal Reg, not State anyway. ...and maybe 15 years ago it was true....but times change and I'm sure not everything told in driver's school is 100% correct. :eek:

I guess it has been a while. Ten years ago tickets and arrest were made from two books the Tennessee Criminal Laws Annotated and the Tennessee Motor Vehicle Laws Annotated. Both published by Michie. Most troopers carried the mvl and locals carried the tca. But laws change from year to year. I was always told by the CVE that you couldn't carry in a comerical vehicle. I never read the law myself, Really didn't care if they carried one or not. Things do change in law enforcement.

When i was a deputy a trooper didn't fool with commerical only Comerical vehicle enforcement (tdot). Now troppers are doing it and there's a Tdot again that fools with everyone.

you know, we could probably save A LOT of money if we kept one of those departments and let the other one go away.....say, fold the tdot into the state and let them become troopers...

or is that a bad idea?

and just why exactly are truck drivers denied the right to keep and bear arms in the effort to protect themselves?

I never understood that one either!

Not sure why the TDOT folks that are cutting grass on the highway, filling pot holes, etc...really need to be LE personnel.

As of now CVE is just a division of the THP, CVE officers are troopers, they just deal with commercial vehicles.

...and I'm still of the opinion truck drivers can carry (as far as the law is concerned.)