Bugin out on Bug out guns

Guest betobeto

Guest betobeto

Over the years I've heard various opinions on what guns one should own in the case of all hell breaking loose and so on. I've met some people that own just one all purpose gun, and others that have to many guns with no purpose. I'm looking to see what every ones opinion is on gun/gun packages make up the perfect protection plan for the bug out situation and why. For example here in SE TN it would call for a different plan than if you lived out west some where ect. Thanks for your input;)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

If you want to get all technical about it... I'd go with a reliable 9mm carbine.

Reason?

1. Ammo is everywhere

2. It's the same caliber as my carry handgun

3. You're not likely to need to shoot beyond 100yds for self defense

4. If #3 proves to be untrue, the S has HTF beyond what you're likely prepared for

All of those things being said, I still prefer 5.56mm because AR platform rifles kick ass. :)

if I had to do the bug out thing I would take the SKS as it is my only semi auto battle rifle. And whatever semi auto handgun I currently have the most ammo for.

Like tungsten said ammo for all of my choices would be common. 7.62X39, 9mm or .45acp

Depending on scenario I would be buggin in.

Guest Revelator

Many different ways you could go here. Tungsten has a good point about getting something that's the same caliber as your handgun. If not that, then an AR, AK, or SKS. That's pretty much all you need. Some folks might say a lever gun, and those would work good too if that's what you're in to.

Guest darkstar

Gotta agree with the 9mm Carbine for all the reasons Tungsten stated. Most pistol caliber carbines are inherently very accurate. For example I have a Kel-Tec sub2000 in 9mm and (all kidding aside) I have to try really hard to miss with with it. Also a carbine is useful if you are in a more closed in area because of it's smaller size. A 9mm round coming out of a say 16 inch or so barrel is gonna have a lot more energy behind it than it will coming from a pistol barrel so it's pretty decent fire power to boot.

Guest betobeto

I've been thinking about making my "Package" up of a Glock 19, 12Gauge Shotgun, and a Sub 2000. But I was out on the range the other day and had the pleasure of shooting a 30-06 at some steal plates. After seeing the holels left in em, it got me thinking if I really do need a large calliber weapon.

Like Mike, I am much more likely to fort up than bug out. If I had to bug out, it'd be with a pair of 1911's (1 for my belt, 1 for the vehicle console), my wife's two favorite pistols, her m-1 carbine, a 12 ga. pump gun, and an M1A. A single .50 can should hold all the ammo I'd realistally need, a second would hold a bit more and cleaning supplies. That sounds like a lot, but I'd be in an SUV (the most fuel-efficient vehicle I own - avg 30mpg) and it would be a negligible amount of space. If I had to, I'd drop the M1A.

Mark where you are at I am not sure any scenario would be better to leave than stay. You have plenty of wood for energy, a river and high ground to defend.

When shtf I am trying to make it to your fort!

I don't plan on going anywhere...but I have a "get home" bag I toss in the truck...holds my carbon 15 AR pistol with several extra mags, 6 or 7 10 round 1911 mags, 1st aid, MREs, that kind of stuff.

Guest strelcevina

mainly .22lr Ruger with hollow out stock, inside couple hundred rounds :)

and of course just in the case, more guns in any other caliber to from .22lr to .50BMG:cool:

Guest bkelm18

It would really depend on the situation, but I guess if I had GTFO quickly, my AK and my HK USPc would be the first I would grab. I have a .308 Savage rifle that I could grab if I thought I might need to hunt for food or if I had the need to reach out and touch someone....

Obviously it will depend.

If there is some law enforcement I would hate to be explaining to the nice officer why I have a loaded long gun in my car, in contravention to TN law.

So I think 1 hi cap 9mm (SIG P226 or 228 in my case), 1 .44mag for those heavy weight shots and probably an SKS with strippers.

If there is no LE around then an AR-15 because they are just so tacticool.

Me? I've got my mind made up and my bag is packed. I have a glock 22 (sorry Mars) and 2 (count em 2) sub 2000's in 40 that take the glock mag, along with aboiut 30 mags. As a "reach out and touch somone" weapon I have a PLR 16 with about 15 mags.

I know the 40 ammo is not as accessable as say a 9 or 45, but I plan on carrying enough in my bag to take care of what I need until I can runb across some more.

BTW, my primary carry is a S&W M&P40c and I have at least 15 mags fully loaded for it as well.

Dang I just figured out why my back hurts sometimes.:rolleyes:

Guest Revelator
Any one now anything about urban survival? what would you need to stock pile, arms, ammo, food water ect?

I don't think there's anything special to know; just have common sense and the foresight to prepare. Get whatever gun works for you--whether that's a 9 carbine, AR, bolt action, whatever--and plenty of ammo for it. As for the rest, I pretty much follow the Red Cross plan. Lots of food and water (I've got about 10 days worth for my wife and I), flashlights, a radio, batteries, etc.

If I'm at home, I'm taking them all and heading north toward my extended family depending on exactly what hit the fan. If it's Oak Ridge doing a Chernobyll then I'm heading out of the way of a West wind just as fast as I can! Regardless, I'm not staying in Knoxville!:rolleyes:

I most likely would be bugging in. I am surrounded on three sides by ex-jarheads and the neighbor on the remaining side is ex-army I am ex-navy and we have already decided we will be banding together to police our own neighborhood in event of SHTF. I might have a Norinco"paratrooper" SKS as the truck gun. This along with a small BOB(jumbo versapak) with 200 rounds on strippers a blow out kit, fixed blade knife, compass, small binoculars, multiplier tool, 100 feet black paracord, couple of powerbars, magnesium firestarter and a bottle of water would be a good starting point. I might also carry a Glock 23 and a S&W 442. My main concern would be getting from work to my wife and kids and then home. If I could only choose one rifle it would be a FN FAL but anyone who has read any of my posts know I am a huge proponet of the deadliest battle implement ever devised the Avtomat Kalashnikov. Hard to argue with the superior barrier penetration of a 7.62 rifle. What is considered cover from a 9mm and 5.56 is merely concealment from a 7.62.

Lately I have been into Asians:

P6020001.jpg