Pocket Pistol Training?

One thing that has always interested me is the area of training with a pocket pistol. Sure, it seems pretty simple on it's face value. Just put a gun in your pocket and viola, you're packin'. The problem is I think there is more to it than that. Perhaps there are some good instructors who have studied this application of carrying a pistol for self defense, but I'm yet to find anyone teaching a class for it.

I have taken a Tactical pistol class from Range Masters and had a great time. The problem is, my work place prohibits me from carrying a full size handgun (most days). This means most days I must rely upon smaller pistols carried either in my strong side front pants pocket or in an ankle holster, and frankly I've not seen many classes which address this type of carry. All of the classes I see are for full size weapons carried in a strong side holster. I carry both a Sig P238 and a S&W 642, either alone or as a tandem. I wonder if someone has any experience with any sort of formal training with this topic?

Anyone have anything?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure where you would get training specific to this.

The 2 big differences are obvious, though. First is how you draw the gun. If you are left handed, some of these guns and the p238 specifically are not left hand friendly, so that may mean weak hand shooting skills need to be honed. If you are right handed, not a big deal. Pocket draw takes a lot of practice and I am just not sure that you can draw the weapon as fast this way, fast but not AS fast. So on top of needing more time, or because of it, you might look into some martial arts to kick, push, and punch to buy the time needed to draw your weapon and to get the space you need as well. This is true for any gun, IMHO, just a little more handy for pocket carry.

Second issue of course is the lower ammo capacity and reduced caliber (even my 938 is weaker than a real 9mm, barrel is shorter and that reduces the power a bit). So you want to focus on actually hitting with each round, rather than spray & pray of a 20 round full size. You want to practice reloading drills and carry of a spare mag. Again, you do that full sized too, but its critical for a 5-6 shot pistol!

One way to "train" some cheaply is to visit your local IDPA when they do a "backup gun" match.

I would also guess that, apart from the way you draw the gun, a regular training class would cover much of what you need to know.

There is some liability with pocket draw: it is not allowed in most competition sports, and not allowed at many ranges, and is in general considered to be unsafe when practiced by unknown shooters of unknow skill, and a possible danger to everyone in a 1 mile radius. I don't get it, people shoot theyselves all the time with regular holsters, but there is a stigma on pocket draw that may make finding a session and instructor more difficult.

You might find someone willing to one on one teach you. You might find someone willing to let you in a regular class with the understanding that your platform is a little different. Can't hurt to ask, and who is going to turn down $500 bucks of your money? If you are willing to pay with the understanding that your platform will not 100% mesh with the class content, someone will be glad to go there I bet.

• Like 1

You are welcome to come to our pistol classes and use a pocket gun. We have one coming up in Knoxville Nov 17......http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/nov17-2012-combat-pistol-marksmanship-knoxville-tn.aspx

While it is easier to fight with a full size pistol, we also realize that often due to wardrobe and Non Permissive Environments, you cannot always get away with a full size or even a midsize pistol. We simply make some concessions to where we have to access the pistol from and run the pistol how we need to to make it work. On a personal note I have carried a pistol daily in public for 20 years and most of that time has been using less than full size pistols from pocket carry. So I do know what the advantages and pitfalls are of carrying that way.

So if you decide you want to attend a class with us we can certainly accommodate you on your pocket pistol.

• Like 1

A good pocket holster is a must so the grip presents itself at the same position and angle all the time. After being dissatisfied with several pocket holsters, I decided to make my own. After trying leather (too thick) and kydex (not easy to work with), I used plastic pieces from a 1-gallon water jug held together with gaffer's tape (like duct tape, but not gummy). Decent trigger protection, stays in the pocket when drawing the weapon, weighs next to nothing, and add less than a sixteenth of an inch in thickness so I can carry in dress slacks.

A good pocket holster is a must so the grip presents itself at the same position and angle all the time. After being dissatisfied with several pocket holsters, I decided to make my own. After trying leather (too thick) and kydex (not easy to work with), I used plastic pieces from a 1-gallon water jug held together with gaffer's tape (like duct tape, but not gummy). Decent trigger protection, stays in the pocket when drawing the weapon, weighs next to nothing, and add less than a sixteenth of an inch in thickness so I can carry in dress slacks.

now that sounds interesting.... pics and even more how to, if you don't mind?

I have never heard of a pocket pistol class but it sure makes sense. Have you ever tried drawing from your pocket while sitting down? Or crouched behind cover? I had one instructor tell me that a pocket pistol should be used one handed. I would take a class in "tactical pocket pistol"!

You are welcome to come to our pistol classes and use a pocket gun. We have one coming up in Knoxville Nov 17......http://www.suarezint...oxville-tn.aspx

While it is easier to fight with a full size pistol, we also realize that often due to wardrobe and Non Permissive Environments, you cannot always get away with a full size or even a midsize pistol. We simply make some concessions to where we have to access the pistol from and run the pistol how we need to to make it work. On a personal note I have carried a pistol daily in public for 20 years and most of that time has been using less than full size pistols from pocket carry. So I do know what the advantages and pitfalls are of carrying that way.

So if you decide you want to attend a class with us we can certainly accommodate you on your pocket pistol.

Randy,

Thanks for the invitation. I am certainly interested. In fact, I have been watching the thread on this class for several weeks now. I've also been a longtime lurker over at WT and I have wanted to take a SI class for quite some time now.

I need to check with the wife to see if she will travel over to that side of the state that weekend. Since our first grandchild will be born over there in January, I doubt it will take much arm twisting to get her motivated to go with me. Thanks again for letting me know about this, and offering to let me run my pocket guns in your class. I think it would be very enlightening, to say the least, vs going to a class like this with a full size pistol.

• Administrator

Tremendous offer from Randy. :up:

A few years back another local training group, CIS, did a "deep concealment" class which centered primarily around using pocket guns, J-frame revolvers, that sort of thing. It seemed like a pretty popular class but I never got the chance to attend personally.