Ankle Carry

herr.baer

I am fairly happy with the Uncle Mike's ankle holster. They come in different sizes for universal fit. No other brands I've seen online seem to be any better.

I use one of those and it's pretty comfy. Have pondered lots about the Galco ankle glove but can not bring myself to change for change sake.

Edited by strickj

Inside weak leg with a Galco ankle glove. Added the calf strap. It really works well. I've been carrying a g33 in it for about 3 years.

I also bought one of Galco's ankle accessory bands for the other ankle. I carry a spare mag in it. It doesn't work as well as I would like as the mag has a tendency to work itself out. I need to put a Velcro loop over the top to help secure it.

I had one of our manufacturing reps with me one day making some customer calls. As we approached one of my customers the mag worked free and skidded across the floor. My customer grinned, picked it up and made me show him my rig. My rep (from Boston area) looked like he had swallowed something really sour. He was mortified.

My customer told him to get over it as that was how we rolled in the south... He got a discount on his next order from me.

Mark

Yours is an interesting story and I'm sure it's true. That said I've been in Industrial sales since 1986 calling all all sorts of businesses. Most businesses today don't allow their own employees to bring a gun onto company property, so they would be even less tolerant of me a vendor carrying on their premises. I've got plenty of customers that I have fished with and some I have hunted with. They have guns just as I do but because I want to maintain our business relationship and I don't want to get them in trouble either, I don't carry on their premises. You might say It's kind of a respect thing. Respect of the customer and respect of the law. If a company has a policy which forbids weapons on their premises and I bring one anyway, I am liable to lose my weapon and my carry permit. We fought too long in this state to get our carry permits for me to put mine in peril.

• Like 1
If a company has a policy which forbids weapons on their premises and I bring one anyway, I am liable to lose my weapon and my carry permit.

Only if the property is posted. If it's just some crap in an employee handbook, it's not breaking the law. It might be a bad business move to carry there, but it's not breaking any law.

Anywho...back to ankle carry. I'm not so sure that ankle is a big improvement over IWB when driving. I did some practice drawing with mine and found that the steering wheel is really in the way when trying to use my left hand to pull up my pants leg to expose the gun, leaning forward, and drawing with my right hand. I have long legs, so maybe that won't apply to everyone.

It's definitely not my first choice in ways to carry. It's a little more awkward having the weight at my ankle instead of my waist, it takes longer to draw, and I'm much more self-conscious when using the ankle holster. Still, I'm glad I have the option when IWB/OWB/AK-47-across-the-back isn't feasible.

having said that there is at least one benefit to carrying inside weak if your a righty, that being if you need to get at your gun while driving you wouldn't need to take your foot away from the pedals to do it without having to noticeably reach for it.

You may or may not find one of them much easier to accomplish, you just have to try both to see what works.

I'm just thinking about the 40 acres I would need to practice this particular feat!

What do you guys think about a belly band? I have a J Frame that I want to use for deep concealment and I was considering something like a kangaroo carry holster (see below link). Ankle carry seems problematic to me due to difficulty of access if you need it in a SHTF situation.

Link: http://www.kangaroocarry.com/

I used the belly band pretty regularly until I started (and have yet to stop) gaining weight. Middle-aged spread has definitely redefined my options.

Dave, I totally understand and agree. My carrying at a customer location is completely dependent on knowing the customer. If I am not sure or don't know their views I unstrap before I go in. This particular guy I've known for years and have gone shooting with him many times.

The result of that particular event is that I don't use the mag carrier currently. One of these days I will get around to figuring out a solution in keeping the mag in place.

Mark

I use a kangaroo holster pretty regularly. I normally wear it with a button up shirt and I often undo a middle button on the shirt when I walk around. I don't use one with a Glock or M&P because I can squeeze the trigger through the holster intentionally. I normally carry a j frame with it.

Guest Wildogre

For a mag carrier I use a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster with the trigger guard area glued shut with some silicone glue. It fits in my back pocket just behind my billfold. It will hold mags for my BDA and 92FS easily plus it does not show unless you are standing right behind me in the checkout line, looking into my back pocket and know what a mag baseplate looks like.

Edited to fix font size

Edited by Wildogre

I prefer to carry inside ankle of my weak side. I really like the Galco ankle lite. I carry my Kahr PM9 in one. My DW was nice enough to customize it to hold a extra mag for me.

C360_2012-10-24-20-24-44.jpg

C360_2012-10-24-20-22-27.jpg

C360_2012-10-24-20-22-02.jpg

I also have one for my G26 but it is already very heavy so I did not get DW to add a mag holster.

C360_2012-03-12-21-54-49-1.jpg

Edited by swim615

What do you guys think about a belly band? I have a J Frame that I want to use for deep concealment and I was considering something like a kangaroo carry holster.....

While I plan to keep all my toes with ankle carry, the thought of an accident using a belly band scares me.

Inside weak side, J frame when I use that method.

I use a Galco Cop Ankle Band (CAB2S) when I do ankle carry and have been satisfied. It says put and is comfortable IMO. They have some that are higher quality that have a molded section for the gun but it is more bulky IMO. On the model I have it has padded suede section up against your leg and an elastic pouch the gun slips into.

I wear a similar one, securing my P238 on the inside left ankle and I'm right handed.

Edited by kieefer
  • 1 month later...