Dog question

So if a Fedex guy, who is technically uninvited, attempts to make a delivery, gets attacked by your dog, and kills the dog as a result, you would have no problem with said Fedex guy? if not, I think we are on the same page.

I don't believe they are "uninvited", technically or otherwise.

FedEx guys don't usually try to deliver a package that either you didn't ask for or that someone you have some kind of relationship with needs to get to you. But regardless of whether the FedEx guy is there because you asked for a delivery or he's got the wrong house; he has an much right to defend himself from harm as anyone else doesn't he??? If my dog attacks him and is capable of inflicting real damage then, as heart-broken as I would be I would still understand what he had to do.

In other words, I believe the law would see this imaginary FedEx guy (our UPS guy or USPS worker, etc.) as an innocent party who was not doing anything illegal and, therefor, a person with the legal right to defend him/he self.

Edited by RobertNashville

FedEx guys don't usually try to deliver a package that either you didn't ask for or that someone you have some kind of relationship with needs to get to you.

People get deliveries they didn't expect every day.

But regardless of whether the FedEx guy is there because you asked for a delivery or he's got the wrong house; he has an much right to defend himself from harm as anyone else doesn't he???

One would think so, but a lot of dogowners don't see it that way. Some have the philosophy of Fedex kicked Spot/Spot can do no wrong/ Fedex must have provoked Spot. NEWS FLASH: Spot is just a dumb animal and may sometimes act unpredictably, especially when he is around someone who doesn't feed him.

If my UPS guy gets bitten by my dog ..I would strangle my dog...UPS brings me prizes.:))

Seriously..I would be very angry at myself if the UPS guy gets bitten by my dog..because it would be MY fault,for letting my dog out while he is trying to bring me my prize.

and I would have ZERO problem with him defending himself by any means.

Dang, couldn't have said it better myself! Now look at the flipside of the coin if I'm walking on my property or down a public road and I feel "threatened"(not scared) I will dispatch any animal whatsoever, pet or not disreguarding laws or seasonal restrictions on killing such animals. If man has the liberty to be on his property or a public area, he should not have to fear his life or fear in protecting his life no matter what may threaten him, rabid animal, pet, or another man.

Don't walk by my house!!!

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

TN Tacoma,

I think a lot of people do not know what it is like to be in very rural areas with no city services, like dog catchers. People in rural areas have to do a lot of things themselves that people who live in town take for granted.

TN Tacoma,

I think a lot of people do not know what it is like to be in very rural areas with no city services, like dog catchers. People in rural areas have to do a lot of things themselves that people who live in town take for granted.

I spent my summers working on my grandfather's ranch. We had issues with wild dogs and coyotes all the time. We trapped what we could and handed them over to animal control. I shot a few that were brazen enough to take chickens in the daytime. There was an instance of them trying to take down a bull as well where my grandpa took a few of them out. I have no issues putting them down if they are a nuisance or a danger, but I don't feel good about it and I certainly do not wish suffering on the animal.

• Like 1

Don't walk by my house!!!

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

JTM, I walk out my road a couple times a week for exercise its about 3 miles from my house to the main highway. I have passed several dogs and 99 times out of 100 a simple yell will put them on there way but when there is that one time when a dog attacks me, I'm gonna feed him a lead sandwich. I don't care who the dog owner is. Again ill state it, a man had the right to defend himself. No animals life is worth more than an injury to me and my family. If I get injured, I can't work, if I can't work bills don't get paid. No animals life is worth that much, especially someone's "pet." Edited by tennessee01tacoma
JTM, I walk out my road a couple times a week for exercise its about 3 miles from my house to the main highway. I have passed several dogs and 99 times out of 100 a simple yell will put them on there way but when there is that one time when a dog attacks me, I'm gonna feed him a lead sandwich. I don't care who the dog owner is. Again ill state it, a man had the right to defend himself. No animals life is worth more than an injury to me and my family. If I get injured, I can't work, if I can't work bills don't get paid. No animals life is worth that much, especially someone's "pet."

That is fine I live in the country with a fenced in yard and when I am working in the shop I will take my dogs and let them stretch theirs legs. I have the view of dolomite on this. When my dogs are out they are with me on my property and respond well to voice commands and if you came down my gravel rd they might run at you but you are in no way threatened. The way you said threatened sounded iffy to me . In fear of my life I would dispatch a dog. But now just threatened. Kinda like a knife fight inside of 20ft you are going to get bitten I the dog is serious so why not give him a chance to change his mind. If I pulled and shot every time I have felt Threatened in my life, the West Tennesee population would be alot lower.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jtmaze

That is fine I live in the country with a fenced in yard and when I am working in the shop I will take my dogs and let them stretch theirs legs. I have the view of dolomite on this. When my dogs are out they are with me on my property and respond well to voice commands and if you came down my gravel rd they might run at you but you are in no way threatened. The way you said threatened sounded iffy to me . In fear of my life I would dispatch a dog. But now just threatened. Kinda like a knife fight inside of 20ft you are going to get bitten I the dog is serious so why not give him a chance to change his mind. If I pulled and shot every time I have felt Threatened in my life, the West Tennesee population would be alot lower.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I have drawn on a couple dogs, I have nothing to hide, never had to shoot thank God. I'm not easy to scare, I'm talking about sincerely threatened like im in fear for my life sincere. My American bulldog will bark at you and stare you down but he wouldn't hurt anyone. I wouldn't have a dog that would hurt anyone

I have drawn on a couple dogs, I have nothing to hide, never had to shoot thank God. I'm not easy to scare, I'm talking about sincerely threatened like im in fear for my life sincere. My American bulldog will bark at you and stare you down but he wouldn't hurt anyone. I wouldn't have a dog that would hurt anyone

I had a AB ..he was my baby and they can and will protect you to no end..mine was a bit on the slow side but he would gladly chew your leg off if anyone came to close to me....He was a once in lifetime dog.He lived to be almost 12 years old before he passed .I have a 82lbs boxer now and he is the same way.

TN Tacoma,

Like going to jail because you shot someone's dog?

Dave S

Like going to jail because you shot someone's dog?

Dave S

I'm no lawyer but I don't know of anywhere on the tca where it says you can't kill a dog with the exception being cruelty to animals. Which is more cruel being left for starvation or put down. I refer back to the stray that showed up at my house the other day. He got sick and vomited in the bed of my truck, you know what came up? Gravel and some grass no lie. How pitiful of a life.

You cannot shoot a dog unless you are in fear of your life. If it is on your property & it is threatening your livestock or family you CAN shoot it. If a dog show up at your house & you choose to feed it, under TN, law you are caring for that dog & if it gets sick you must provide vet treatment. If you see a dog roaming around & he looks sick & out of the kindness of your heart you choose to "put it out of its misery" you can be prosecuted. Will you be? That's for the SPCA to decide. The local police have very little jurisdiction of animal cases. The local dog catcher cannot come into your yard without an invite, & can only pick up a stray if reported or seen running around. While the SPCA can investigate & prosecute animal cases.

How does this apply to shooting a dog in self defense? IF someone chooses to investigate you must be able to prove it.

Asst Director,

TN S.P.C.A.

Gibson County Humane Society, 501 c (3).

Sent from iPad in the woods.

I agree with all the laws in the link and haven't broken any of them. No where on your link does it refer to animals that are obviously abandoned or strays. In my opinion strays fall into the category of feral or nuisance animals. Coyotes, a cousin to a dog is considered a nuisance animal, and there is a year round open season on them. What's the difference in a coyote or stray dogs, they will both form packs, breed, and kill livestock, pets and wild game species like deer. In my opinion there is no difference.

• Like 1

And also 2 words that should be reitterated "Leash Law." be a responsible dog owner and there won't be any strays so this whole arguement wouldn't exsist. Why should I as a responsible dog owner have to bear the burden of properly dealing with someone else's abandoned pet?

Edited by tennessee01tacoma

How about the spca go after the real criminals that abandon and neglect their dogs. I have two happy healthy spoiled dogs at home. I am not a dog hater. But if I can't feed my dogs outside because the stray won't leave then they are deffinitely a nuisance.

Then call the SPCA and have the stray picked up.

Dolomite

That's a great idea when shelters are already overrun and struggling for funds. Most dogs would just be euthanised. End of the road either way. But that's what they get paid to do so that makes it ok? It's probably ridiculous what it costs to euthanise an animal and then what happens to it. The disposal cost is probably astounding.

Update: I finally caught the owner at home. Had a good talk with him. He seemed surprised his dog would attempt to bite anyone. I thanked him for tying his dog, and we parted on good, neighborly terms.

As for all the other garbage overtaking this thread, I'd say those of you who wouldn't put a suffering stray dog out of it's misery are more cruel than those that would. If Macon county has an SPCA, I'm not aware of it. Here, we still take care of matters ourselves rather than relying on the government. That's the way the entire country used to be.

Thanks to those of you who offered suggestions and advice. I am pleased I didn't have to shoot the guy's dog. However, I will lose no sleep over it if I need to in the future, as he has been informed of the problem. I don't feel like it will come to that, as he still has it tied.

Edited by gregintenn

Back when I was a kid I was all over the neighborhood either walking or by bike, the 70s. Most people let their dogs run loose and thought nothing of it. As kids, we knew how to deal with it: don't run, don't show fear, pick up a stick or rock, or just act like you've picked up a stick or rock.

Kids and dogs both survived.

Glad to hear you've worked it out

Edited by -Bristol-
That's a great idea when shelters are already overrun and struggling for funds. Most dogs would just be euthanised. End of the road either way. But that's what they get paid to do so that makes it ok? It's probably ridiculous what it costs to euthanise an animal and then what happens to it. The disposal cost is probably astounding.

Never once have I made a single penny working for the SPCA. And they aren't funded by the government. Judgements don't even pay the costs of running a shelter... Even with half priced vet care.

I was only posting the laws as they are written. I understand that you consider a stray as a nuisance like a coyote but according to the law it isn't.

You're right, the disposal cost are astounding… after being euthanized we dig a hole & burry them…it breaks the heart.

Again, my posts where just to to state the laws.

TNBrat :) Hiding in the woods… ;)

Edited by TNBrat