Dog question

This is my opinion only not a recommendation to you.

I think I would use the same rule of thumb as shooting a person, I was in fear for my life.(Life of my dog?) There's no need to kill an animal you don't intend to eat or protect yourself from, and to keep you out of legal hot water I would think this would be a good rule of thumb.

Just my opinion but, I'd much prefer not to have to deal with it.

It's going to probably be a very fast attack, up close and chaotic. No time to consider where that bullet(s) will end up, and I'm responsible for where it goes. Myself, pepper spray would be the best and safest alternative.

• Like 2

It is the responsibility of the dog owner to make sure their dogs are contained to their property… period.

And if the dog is off their property and ends up dead; it’s their fault.

I’m a dog lover and I would never kill a dog because he came running up to me, or because a neighbor lets their dog get out. However if a dog was attacking me I have no qualms about killing it. I would probably wait long enough that if I judged its intentions wrong I would get bit before I killed it. However; the owner of the dog is going to pay dearly if I get bit on property I have a right to be on.

• Like 4

It is the responsibility of the dog owner to make sure their dogs are contained to their property… period.

And if the dog is off their property and ends up dead; it’s their fault.

I’m a dog lover and I would never kill a dog because he came running up to me, or because a neighbor lets their dog get out. However if a dog was attacking me I have no qualms about killing it. I would probably wait long enough that if I judged its intentions wrong I would get bit before I killed it. However; the owner of the dog is going to pay dearly if I get bit on property I have a right to be on.

While I do respect your view I would never let a dog bit me if I can help it. I believe in protecting myself and my family first and foremost and if a dog or any other animal has to die for my family and I to be safe then so be it. I will deal with the consequences as the arise. Also I live in a rural area, I wouldn't have to worry about discharging a firearm within city limits, and the collateral damage from my bullet would most likely be negligible. If I were walking my dog in a city/ urban environment my opinion might change. I would maybe reach for my knife instead of my pistol. Again I would do nothing unless I was in fear of my life and safety. I don't want you guys to think I would just shoot someones dog because they startled me.

• Like 1

While I do respect your view I would never let a dog bit me if I can help it. I believe in protecting myself and my family first and foremost and if a dog or any other animal has to die for my family and I to be safe then so be it. I will deal with the consequences as the arise. Also I live in a rural area, I wouldn't have to worry about discharging a firearm within city limits, and the collateral damage from my bullet would most likely be negligible. If I were walking my dog in a city/ urban environment my opinion might change. I would maybe reach for my knife instead of my pistol. Again I would do nothing unless I was in fear of my life and safety. I don't want you guys to think I would just shoot someones dog because they startled me.

I’m not saying you should wait; I’m saying I probably would. I can shoot a criminal and go eat lunch. I have never had to shoot a dog, but it would bother me a lot more. Even if I’m not bit; I’m suing the owner if I have to kill a dog. People that let their dogs run loose don’t deserve to own them, but they certainly deserve to pay when someone gets hurt because of their total lack of responsibility.

I’m not saying you should wait; I’m saying I probably would. I can shoot a criminal and go eat lunch. I have never had to shoot a dog, but it would bother me a lot more. Even if I’m not bit; I’m suing the owner if I have to kill a dog. People that let their dogs run loose don’t deserve to own them, but they certainly deserve to pay when someone gets hurt because of their total lack of responsibility.

I have never had to shoot a dog even working with the SPCA. I have a friend that has and it was because the dog had hold of his arm and started to shake. This was a bulldog and he had no choice. I personally would have to be bitten and in fear of my life. In my opinion there are no bad dogs just bad owners.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 2

TN has a state leash law. Dogs are not permitted to run "at large", therefore the owner of the dog that comes out after you has already broken the law.

If it was just me walking my dog, I'd react closer to DaveTN's posts. If my kids were involved, I grease that dog without a 2nd thought.

• Like 2

Personally; I'm not going to shoot a dog or a person unless I really feel it's necessary but I will shoot either if I believe it is necessary.

As you can probably tell from my avatar, my hound is pretty important to me and as foolish as it sounds I'd probably sacrifice myself to save her (and I believe she would do the same for me) so if a dog comes charging at "us" and it's a big enough dog to do real damage to me or my hound then I'm probably going to dispatch the attacker and deal with the consequences later.

However, discharging a firearm in that situation may not only be unwise bit not the best course of action. First of all, if it were me I'd be in my neighborhood where a stray shot could cause a lot of problems. Second, unless I can react quickly enough and given how quickly fighting dogs move around; with shooting I run the very real risk of hitting my dog either instead of or along with the one attacking.

All that to say, when I used to bicycle 200-300 miles per week I carried dog repellent..and I can tell you from experience that it was effective on many different breeds; even once, thank God, a doberman...I even used it once on a human and it was pretty effective for that as well...to this day, I carry spray with me and especially when out with my dog and that's probably what I'm going to go to first because it's likely to work and doesn't kill either the attacking dog or, more importantly, my own.

I guess in general, I like having a non-lethal option. :)

• Like 1

People used to carry 'walking sticks' to deal with aggressive dogs (or, worse, aggressive people in some cases.) These weren't, necessarily 'canes' or walking aids and in some cases might only be about two feet or so long with either a natural 'buldge' at the end or a metal head added for extra weight/effectiveness. Something more along the lines of a true shillelagh - a club or cudgel - either carried in the hand or tucked through the belt. Of course, by carrying something that is long enough that it could be used as a walking aid you would both appear less suspicious (because you wouldn't be carrying around something for which the only purpose is a club/cudgel - which may actually be illegal) as well as increase the effective range. Carrying such a walking stick/cane - or even something longer like a hiking stick - might not be a bad idea. Such a stick has uses beyond being a walking aid or a weapon. Not that I wouldn't shoot a dog if I thought it was absolutely necessary but having other options is not a bad thing, IMO.

Just a thought.

Edited by JAB

TN has a state leash law. Dogs are not permitted to run "at large", therefore the owner of the dog that comes out after you has already broken the law.

If it was just me walking my dog, I'd react closer to DaveTN's posts. If my kids were involved, I grease that dog without a 2nd thought.

The entire state? Most people here where I live let their dogs wander freely. I don't mind, except for this one moron who has the vicious dog.

I was curious so I started looking around; while I can't say with 100% certainty, based on the various sites I looked at the tracks leash/loose dogs laws by state, Tennessee has no such requirement at the state level. That said, most if not all cities do as do some counties/metro areas plus in most states, any loose dog can be picked up by the dog warden.

Whether a dog, per a state or local ordnance is supposed to be leashed or not, I think the only salient point is whether or not the dog is presenting a real danger to you/your dog...if it is then I believe you can use whatever amount of force is necessary to stop the threat.

I have called LE about vicious dogs. They referred me to the SPCA. They said they would not respond to a vicious dog. The recommended I kill it. So the next time I seem the dogs on my property I took some shots. Fortunately for the dogs and their owners I missed.

I spoke to the owners after their dogs had killed animals of ours. Their response, "dogs will be dogs". My response, "they won't be dogs anymore if I see them on my property again".

You have the right to protect yourself and your animals with any means needed to remove the threat.

Dolomite

• Like 2

I was curious so I started looking around; while I can't say with 100% certainty, based on the various sites I looked at the tracks leash/loose dogs laws by state, Tennessee has no such requirement at the state level. That said, most if not all cities do as do some counties/metro areas plus in most states, any loose dog can be picked up by the dog warden.

Whether a dog, per a state or local ordnance is supposed to be leashed or not, I think the only salient point is whether or not the dog is presenting a real danger to you/your dog...if it is then I believe you can use whatever amount of force is necessary to stop the threat.

See TCA 44-8-408 dogs can't run at large. I would think if you can show you were in fear of serious bodily injury from a dog attack (which is very likely) using deadly force on a dog is ok. I think the breed of the dog will make a difference. A Jack Russell doesn't quite put the fear in somebody as a larger breed does. OC spray seems to work very well on most dogs and it's only temporary.

• Like 1

I will only say this....

Me and a Clarksville Police Officer friend of mine was deer hunting one time and we had two dogs approach us in a very aggresive manner. I'm talking they were in "attack" mode. We shot both dogs in prevention of being bitten.

Well, this whole ordeal cost us hundreds of dollars a piece in legal fees...it's not funny!

Dave S

When James and I shot the dogs because we had been backed against his truck by these two dogs, who were snapping their jaws at us...the owner of the dogs (so he says)came by. Seen us and his dead dogs there and called the sherriff who in turn called TWRA. We were cited at the time for "unlawful killing of a domestic animal". Both of us hired the same lawyer...by the time it was said and done, and our lawyer worked up a deal...it cost James and I hundreds of dollars we never got back. The only thing that worked out for us was when our lawyer requested his dogs vet records to prove ownership...Wendal Kirkland dropped the charges against us. We never got a dime back!

Dave S

I couldn't find any statute about killing domestic animal other than poisoning. If the dogs weren't on the guys land I would have went afterwards and sworn out a warrant for allowing a dog to run at large. TWRA shouldn't have been involved unless they were hunting dogs.

I walk my dog quite a ways every day to get her the exercise that she needs and have fortunately never had mine get into a full on fight. There have been a couple who got a little too close and aggressive for my taste and while mine was up on her back legs "gaining the upper hand" I gave it a good kick to the mid section. Shortly there after they figured out that they were out numbered and backed off.

I'm inside the city limits so I think twice before drawing down on one and there's usually another way around it.

I love dogs but if yours is attacking mine, there will be repercussions.

Edited by Tedro2022

People used to carry 'walking sticks' to deal with aggressive dogs (or, worse, aggressive people in some cases.) These weren't, necessarily 'canes' or walking aids and in some cases might only be about two feet or so long with either a natural 'buldge' at the end or a metal head added for extra weight/effectiveness. Something more along the lines of a true shillelagh - a club or cudgel - either carried in the hand or tucked through the belt. Of course, by carrying something that is long enough that it could be used as a walking aid you would both appear less suspicious (because you wouldn't be carrying around something for which the only purpose is a club/cudgel - which may actually be illegal) as well as increase the effective range. Carrying such a walking stick/cane - or even something longer like a hiking stick - might not be a bad idea. Such a stick has uses beyond being a walking aid or a weapon. Not that I wouldn't shoot a dog if I thought it was absolutely necessary but having other options is not a bad thing, IMO.

Just a thought.

A golf putter works well... or a 2 iron depending on the mood. "FORE!"

Edited by Batman

Sometimes its just better to employ SSS...

Shoot, shovel and shutup..

ETA...IF there is a reason for it..

I dont advocate killing any dog but if you need to protect your loved ones or even your own animals, because someone lets their dog roam and he is agressive....

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

OC spray seems to work very well on most dogs and it's only temporary.

It can be lethal though, as some dogs have reactions to it (*edit* Per my vet. I am not a spray/animal expert). I had some *deleted* spray my dog on my property as they walked by and she wound up at the vet.

FTR, had a conversation with them about it the next time they came by and when it was clear they couldn't grasp the concept of property laws etc, I told them the next time they sprayed my dog I would take up the legality of it with their next of kin. Took a second for that to sink in and for some reason I haven't seen them walk in front of my place anymore.

Edited by Makiaveli