If you are thinking about Blackthorne AR's, look inside

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how it's possible for the barrel to be wobbly like that. It's threaded into a barrel extension which fits (typically very tightly) into a threaded hole in the front of the reciever. Then, a nut is torqued onto the hole.

It seems, the only way for it to wobble would be for that hole to be severely reamed or they installed a barrel blank sans extension in which case the barrel should just slip back out.

I just don't know how they could eff that up??? But, the loctite was the clencher, for me.

And yes, Hesse is to be avoided. I bought my first FAL from them in the mid 90's when it was featured in American Survival Guide. It had too many issues to mention but cases kept separating in the chamber. Being somewhat new to guns at the time, I didn't really know how to diagnose it so I called, sent it back, they looked at it, sent it back to me saying it was fixed...the first time I fired it it happened again only this time, it blew the top cover off in my face and the bolt/carrier jammed up in the rails so bad I couldn't budge it. (in retrospect, I'm glad it jammed instead of continuing rearward under those circumstances.)

Frustrated, I visited a friend at a shop who took the handguards off and immediately observed that the barrel could be turned in the reciever by hand.

I just don't know how one can stay in business like that.

You're just an elitist. All AR's are the same....I mean, they all look alike right? You're just a tacticool snob.

Blackthorne/Hesse represents everything that is wrong with low budget AR's and their low budget partners who advertise to the unknowing and cheap. People that think they're getting over on the suckers that pay 1k for a good rifle. The same type of people who will buy a $80 clone red dot and think they're smarter than the crowd.

That video has been around for a while.....and people still buy from them :down:

A loose barrel can happen even with "supposed" fair quality builders. I say fair quality because it just does NOT happen with top shelf folks like LWRC for example. I won't name the company, but I got an upper not long ago that had the gas block misaligned. No possible way to line it up either as it was hitting the hand guard before it bottomed out. The barrel nut was also not torqued, when I put the wrench to it, the weight of the wrench turned the barrel nut. These people were profusely apologetic and in the most polite way possible, demanded it be returned. I did not though as I had it fixed in less than an hour and am to date, very pleased with it.

Just saying, as I have said SO MANY TIMES: cry now or cry later. Pay the money, get the best you can afford, don't cut corners with a "good deal" and research. If you read several bad reviews, there's a reason for it. Yes Larue tactical is ungodly expensive, but you don't read people bitching about their inferior quality either.

You're just an elitist. All AR's are the same....I mean, they all look alike right? You're just a tacticool snob.

Blackthorne/Hesse represents everything that is wrong with low budget AR's and their low budget partners who advertise to the unknowing and cheap. People that think they're getting over on the suckers that pay 1k for a good rifle. The same type of people who will buy a $80 clone red dot and think they're smarter than the crowd.

That video has been around for a while.....and people still buy from them :down:

And besides, the handle won't fit :rofl: . Crappy company meets crappy buyer. Match made in heaven.

A loose barrel can happen even with "supposed" fair quality builders. I say fair quality because it just does NOT happen with top shelf folks like LWRC for example. I won't name the company, but I got an upper not long ago that had the gas block misaligned. No possible way to line it up either as it was hitting the hand guard before it bottomed out. The barrel nut was also not torqued, when I put the wrench to it, the weight of the wrench turned the barrel nut. These people were profusely apologetic and in the most polite way possible, demanded it be returned. I did not though as I had it fixed in less than an hour and am to date, very pleased with it.

Just saying, as I have said SO MANY TIMES: cry now or cry later. Pay the money, get the best you can afford, don't cut corners with a "good deal" and research. If you read several bad reviews, there's a reason for it. Yes Larue tactical is ungodly expensive, but you don't read people bitching about their inferior quality either.

why not name the company? did not seem like you were bashing them, just good to know that you should check all things prior to just shoving ammo in them and firing away.

I don't see what's wrong the rifle in the video? Wouldn't looser tolerances make for more reliability? Similar to an AK? :) Sarcasm.

I've avoided many companies based of of reviews but take said "reviews" with a grain of salt. After thorough research I decide one way or the other but tend to stick to ones I know and trust. There's plenty of quality AR parts out there and I truly don't understand how someone buys from Hesse/Blackthorne/Vulcan for a minimal difference in price vs say PSA.

On the flip side I have bought parts from reputableish companies (DPMS) and been disappointed. It was only an extractor missing the claw in a repair kit but that marked my first and last purchase from them. When asked by friends about DPMS I inform them that I had one small bad experience and won't touch their stuff but that there has been plenty of good ones and not to let my opinion sway them one way or the other.

I don't see what's wrong the rifle in the video? Wouldn't looser tolerances make for more reliability? Similar to an AK? :) Sarcasm.

I've avoided many companies based of of reviews but take said "reviews" with a grain of salt. After thorough research I decide one way or the other but tend to stick to ones I know and trust. There's plenty of quality AR parts out there and I truly don't understand how someone buys from Hesse/Blackthorne/Vulcan for a minimal difference in price vs say PSA.

On the flip side I have bought parts from reputableish companies (DPMS) and been disappointed. It was only an extractor missing the claw in a repair kit but that marked my first and last purchase from them. When asked by friends about DPMS I inform them that I had one small bad experience and won't touch their stuff but that there has been plenty of good ones and not to let my opinion sway them one way or the other.

That was pretty rare. I don't know if any of my rifles don't have a few DPMS parts.

That was pretty rare. I don't know if any of my rifles don't have a few DPMS parts.

I figure it is pretty rare. I probably didn't give them a fare chance but I'm kind of peculiar with these things. I've always wanted to try Model 1 Sales but still leery about em.

I figure it is pretty rare. I probably didn't give them a fare chance but I'm kind of peculiar with these things. I've always wanted to try Model 1 Sales but still leery about em.

I mostly use DPMS parts kits. I have one each of their upper and lower receivers (on different rifles). My first AR was a DPMS upper. I've just never had a problem with their stuff. Not the best, but real OK.

DPMS parts kits are probably the best out there when cost is considered. I try to use them exclusively. Are there better kits? Of course but not in the same price range. And because I have a LONG track record with DPMS parts kits I will recommend and use them without worry.

Now on to everything else DPMS. They are a budget builder and it shows once you actually use the gun. For 90% of the AR owners out there, who won't shoot but a few hundred rounds a year, a DPMS will serve them just fine. But once you take a DPMS and shoot thousands of rounds over the course of a weekend they fail pretty quickly. Would I turn down a DPMS? No because everyone needs to own an AR and they are a perfect way to get into the game.

The M&P Sport which is magnitudes better than any DPMS rifle and cheaper in most cases.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly