Question about shotgun shells

Is there a major difference between #7.5 and #8 shotgun shells. I don't hunt, shoot skeet or anything like that. I mainly picked up the shotgun as a HD gun and possibly shooting matches.

I know I would pick buckshot for the HD loads but for general shooting around at a match is there a difference or recommendation between the 7 and 8 shot? This would be shooting cardboard and some steel.

Thanks

No. Neither one is truly sufficient for home defense.

There's so many lies and gimmicks, smoke mirrors and BS with shotguns. They won't blow people apart. Birdshot is a paltry excuse for a defense load. Those whizz bang super gimmicks you buy at the gunshow are just that, gimmicks.

But that's not what you asked.

IMHO, go buy a buck load or even a heavy turkey load will suffice. Slugs will ALWAYS work. My preference is good 9 pellet load of .30 or .32 caliber lead.

For casual blasting, buy what's cheapest, there's not much difference.

Edited by Caster
Guest Broomhead

I would recommend getting the cheapest shells you can find for general target practice, just as you would with any other caliber. For HD, though, get a good brand's 9 pellet '00' (called double aught) or 15 pellet '000' buck load. I have Remington 9 pellet '00' buck shells in my 870. Slugs will work for HD but there is a little more accuracy required.

Make sure to buy some of the HD loads for practice too as they generally recoil harder than target loads and you may need to get used to them and how the recoil will affect follow-up shots.

+1

For shooting cardbord or steel there would be no difference between 7 1/2 and 8s. Handicap trap shooters might pick 7 1/2s for long shots due to slightly higher retained energy.

Another myth still encountered with HD shotguns is they "throw a wall of lead". At bad breath distance most any shotshell will make a pattern less than the size of your hand; only hits count.

Some skeet ranges will only allow #8 shot or smaller...ie larger number like 9, 10 or 12.

In my SD shotgun I have things loaded in this order.

1. 00 buck

2. 00 buck

3. #4 steel shot

4. 00 buck

5. #4 steel shot

6. Slug

7. Slug

All of them are high velocity, high brass loads. No reduced recoil/velocity stuff. The slugs are for the longer distances. Because I am likely to encounter problems at shorter ranges that is why I use shot with slugs being the last. I also believe that the shot will not overpenetrate like slugs so those are also a reason why I chose them first.

With that being said even #8 can be very, very devastating at close range like in most homes. Here is a very telling video.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 1
Guest KCampbell
Some skeet ranges will only allow #8 shot or smaller...ie larger number like 9, 10 or 12.

In my SD shotgun I have things loaded in this order.

1. 00 buck

2. 00 buck

3. #4 steel shot

4. 00 buck

5. #4 steel shot

6. Slug

7. Slug

All of them are high velocity, high brass loads. No reduced recoil/velocity stuff. The slugs are for the longer distances. Because I am likely to encounter problems at shorter ranges that is why I use shot with slugs being the last. I also believe that the shot will not overpenetrate like slugs so those are also a reason why I chose them first.

With that being said even #8 can be very, very devastating at close range like in most homes. Here is a very telling video.

Dolomite

I have all ways heard not to mix loads because you need to know exactly what kind of shot is coming out of that shotgun at all times.Only way to do that with a potpurri of loads would be to keep count and I don't how well I could do that when severely stressed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by KCampbell
Guest KCampbell

Why do I need to know what is coming out of my shotgun at all times?

Regardless of the shell type I will be aware of my target and what is behind it. I will fire until the threat is removed whether that is the first couple or the last couple of shells.

Dolomite

I would just not want different or unexpected results every time I pull the trigger is why I wouldnt do it.I believe this is called Dutch loading.If I find the need for a slug or different load then I should be training doing changeovers I think.This is just my opinion and does not mean a thing.I am just trying to learn and mean no disrespect.

Edited by KCampbell

"birdshot".....7.5 or 8s are devestating at close ranges under 10 yds. and IMO much safer in a home where other friendlies may be. Generally much safer if you have neighbors as well. Buck shot or slugs are going to go through the walls of most homes and possibly into a neighbors. Not saying I wouldn't use them, but can't argue that your use of them would be ineffective.

Before you start listening to a lot of opinions, go to the Box O'Truth website and see their test results of bird, buck and slugs on drywall. Also look at the results of handgun and rifle ammo on drywall. You WILL learn some surprising things.

Also search for ballistic gelatin testing of bird shot vs buck. Then make up your own mind.