got laid off

Guest nysos

It depresses the hell out of me to think of the #### I have gone through trying to find a job in Memphis. I am finally employed doing something I was never trained for nor ever though I would be in. My wife is active duty and should have been able to retire two years ago. But due to my lack of employment she has had to stay in and transfer over seas for two years. Unemployment is an ego and self esteem crusher.
[quote name='Lumber_Jack' timestamp='1352480457' post='842514']
No shame in filing for unemployment. That's why it's there, it's when you live on it permanently that it becomes shameful. Hope you find something soon.
[/quote]

Well said, having been in a similar position I can say from experience you will have mixed feelings when your first payment comes in. You will most likely feel like a cad for taking a "handout" but on top of that comes a seance of relief knowing that rent will be paid and you will have food in your stomach. One of your happiest moments will be when you cancel your claim and get on with your life.

Good luck with this losing a job can be very trying experience for the best of us and I wish you well.
[quote name='nysos' timestamp='1352382238' post='841727']Went in this morning and my company is "restructuring", so I got laid off due to what will be a lack of work. (their words)

So if anyone knows of any IT opportunities in the knoxville area, please forward them my way. Help desk, jr level server admin, system engineer, system/support analyst, etc.[/quote]

Look up "Premier Staffing Partners" in Knoxville. They've got me a few really good interviews in the past. Very low pressure folks to work with too.

[quote name='jcj' timestamp='1352519542' post='842904']
Look up "Premier Staffing Partners" in Knoxville. They've got me a few really good interviews in the past. Very low pressure folks to work with too.
[/quote]

I've met with Premier Staffing, and also have had a good number of interviews over the last few months from Teksystems as well.
[quote name='babelt' timestamp='1352516266' post='842870']
Have you heard of a company called calaris networks in knoxville?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Yes, Claris networks - I have a friend from high school that works for them and am going to be feeling them out to see if they have anything available.

[quote name='TGO David' timestamp='1352517392' post='842879']
If I lost my job today and had to move to follow better opportunities, I'd be packing my crap tomorrow.
[/quote]

I just bought my first house last year, so it is a little harder to just up and move. As I said before, all my family and friends live in knoxville, so I am going to try to stay in the area but will move if I have to. It will not be my first choice though.

As mentioned before I might have an opportunity to go overseas for a project for a local company and pay would be really good. I should be finding out more about it next week along with 2 other leads I have for local positions. I will probably give it a month to see how these pan out before I look at middle tennessee for a job, although I have a few close friends from college that would be ecstatic if I moved out there near them. :)

[quote name='MacGyver' timestamp='1352487202' post='842582']
I have recruiters calling me weekly. [/quote]
So do I. I haven’t been on a Headhunters list for a few years, but all of a sudden I’m getting calls about Machinists and Toolmakers jobs in Murfreesboro. I don’t know if something new is moving in or what, but if any of you are skilled trades in manufacturing you might want to give Aerotek in Nashville a call.
Just got back from a job interview and it seemed to go pretty well. Towards the end of the interview the director that was interviewing me kept trying to see if the CEO could come sit in for a little bit towards the end, but the CEO wasn't available. He actually had one of the other managers go check 2 times, and called him throughout the interview. According to my friend that works there, meeting with the CEO is usually their final step in the hiring process - so hopefully that is a good sign that they liked me and wanted to get him in there.

Here is to hoping I get a job offer soon. >_<
Was just doing a search and it looks like the VA and FBI have openings in Memphis, one in forensics and one in networking. Air force and navy also have positions open there but you need to be a member of the guard. they're listed on usajobs
Guest dfsixstring
Look into TVA - great opportunities there. You may consider contracting. I am in IT management and frequently hire 6 month to perm contractors in the Nashville area.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S
  • 3 weeks later...
I just had a second interview with a company this morning. My tech recruiter touch based with them this afternoon and they will be making me an offer for the position, but were unable to today due to one of the CEO's being out of the office. So come monday I should have a job offer at a company that is about 7 minutes from my house, with plenty of room to grow.

The best part? about a 40% pay increase from my last position. I won't be rolling in money, as I was extremely underpaid at my last position, but I should no longer be struggling month to month. This also frees things up for if I get a roommate to be able to put a good portion of money in savings.
[quote name='nysos' timestamp='1354313713' post='853068']
....The best part? about a 40% pay increase from my last position. I won't be rolling in money, as I was extremely underpaid at my last position, but I should no longer be struggling month to month. This also frees things up for if I get a roommate to be able to put a good portion of money in savings.
[/quote]

Wow, dude, loan me fifty bucks.

Seriously, that's rare good news these days, hope it all pans out.

- OS
Started my paperwork today, got my salary/official offer letter, and have a start date. All I have to do is go pee in a cup sometime this week, finish the paperwork and drop it off in order to start. Edited by nysos
[quote name='nysos' timestamp='1354754578' post='855477']Started my paperwork today, got my salary/official offer letter, and have a start date. All I have to do is go pee in a cup sometime this week, finish the paperwork and go in against next week in order to start.[/quote]

Awesome.