Reading your e-mail now....

Guest Mad4rcn

[quote name='Hotrod' timestamp='1353545082' post='849287']
Does anyone have other ideas?
[/quote]

If you are truly paranoid do not use browser-based email systems. If you have the ability to setup and use Outlook or Windows Mail (sorry Apple geeks I don't know what the equivalent is) with whatever email provider you have then do so. Those programs download the message and it is removed from the hosting server.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote]If you are truly paranoid do not use browser-based email systems. If you have the ability to setup and use Outlook or Windows Mail (sorry Apple geeks I don't know what the equivalent is) with whatever email provider you have then do so. Those programs download the message and it is removed from the hosting server.[/quote]

I disagree. If you are truly paranoid, do not put it in electronic form. Also, although it can be setup to remove the message from the hosting server, many email clients do not. It is up to the user. POP3 and IMAP both allow you to delete it from the server, but also keep in mind that you are sending an email to another server. Consider also that in the computer world "deleted" pretty much never means "deleted", and if you are truly paranoid you would not use electronic means to communicate unless you have an understanding of encryption implementations.
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1353545349' post='849290']
If you are truly paranoid do not use browser-based email systems. If you have the ability to setup and use Outlook or Windows Mail (sorry Apple geeks I don't know what the equivalent is) with whatever email provider you have then do so. Those programs download the message and it is removed from the hosting server.
[/quote]

The method you use is irrelevant, a federal law was passed in the 90's that required ISP's to possess the capacity of recording and storing 100% of their total bandwidth. Any transmission can be captured, and unless you use some type of an unknown encryption or some ridiculously large algorithm that they don't have the key for, it can be easily accessed.

The laws that keep getting challenged/failing are the length of time for retention, the actual capability of it being retained has been in place for nearly 20 years. Edited by Sam1
I used to work for an ISP in the 90's, from around 98 to 2001 and I can tell you we didn't have any way to capture/retain anything. We had 2 servers, a News server and a web server. Both near capacity just doing day to day operations. I know the news server had to have files manually deleted about every day or 2 because it was feeling up. At that time email client's by default removed pop 3 from the server, but I did have mine set to leave it on the server for a personal back up.

However currently, even if you remove it from the ISP server via pop 3 or other means, there is no way to be certain it has not be captured and or at a minimum backed up by the ISP.

Couple thing I remember in the late 90's the FBI had a program called Carnivore and there was a period of time we thought it was going to be installed on us.

My boss at the time told me his other company had been investigated by the Secrete Service due to someone sending a not so friendly email to the president.

edit, corrected "last night" to "late 90's." Edited by vontar
If you've ever looked at the properties of an email you've received in a client like Outlook, you'll see that the email has passed through several servers on its' way from the sender to you. Any one of them could potentially capture your message and store it. It's also not unthinkable that Big Brother could at some time require all emails to pass through one of their servers, and they can capture and store it themselves.
  • Like 1
[quote name='vontar' timestamp='1353556009' post='849346']
I used to work for an ISP in the 90's, from around 98 to 2001 and I can tell you we didn't have any way to capture/retain anything.
[/quote]

I'll track the legislation down for you, funny thing was it was started (not sure who was initially behind it) and then E. Holder "translated" it into something that better fit his desire. Think his official proposal was late '98 or 99 but they were so tied with the DMCA that the later ones were not able to go through.