Low Budget AR Trigger

rab

I would say this has been ask so many times,But I could sure use some guidance on this . I have a S&W M&P 15 and I would like to have a little better trigger pull What is the cheapest way and still be the right way to lighten the pull? Would like to try this myself so don't make it to endepth.

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to ask what is your current trigger pull like now, and what don't you like about it.

Then what would you like your trigger to be like ideally.

There are some small little things you can do on your own to make the stock trigger better, but depending on the type of trigger pull you want your only choice might be to get a new drop in trigger. Answer those questions and that will be easiest way to guide you, as I am sure others will chime in as well.

• Moderators

Perhaps you have already read about them, but I will mention it just in case. 

Dolomite provides trigger improvement kits for $13. I have personally never tried one, but I have also never personally read anything negative about them. More details here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/54250-ar-trigger-improvement-kits-13/

For $13, I think it might be a good place for you to start if you are on a budget.

• Moderators

Dolomite provides trigger improvement kits for $13. I have personally never tried one, but I have also never personally read anything negative about them. More details here:

For $13, I think it might be a good place for you to start if you are on a budget.

I have one on my AR. They do not reduce the weight of the trigger pull. What they do is reduce/ eliminate the creep and grit of trigger pull by getting rid of the pretravel. They are a bargain at twice the price. I mean that literally.

Thank Guys, When I first got the rifle a friend change two of the springs for me. Don't know if it means anything but the stocks one were black in color the new one are yellow. Don't know what the pull is now but would like it lighter for it it quite heavy now. I am comparing it to a Remington 22 that I shoot all the time It has a 2.38 lb pull

Thank Guys, When I first got the rifle a friend change two of the springs for me. Don't know if it means anything but the stocks one were black in color the new one are yellow. Don't know what the pull is now but would like it lighter for it it quite heavy now. I am comparing it to a Remington 22 that I shoot all the time It has a 2.38 lb pull

You may just need a high end trigger. Semi-autos are kinda tough. If you do it wrong, the rifle can wind up doubling. That can get you some jail time.

This is my favorite. Not quite as light as you want, but it makes me happy...

http://geissele.com/pdfs/ssa-e-flyer.pdf

You may just need a high end trigger. Semi-autos are kinda tough. If you do it wrong, the rifle can wind up doubling. That can get you some jail time.

This is my favorite. Not quite as light as you want, but it makes me happy...

http://geissele.com/pdfs/ssa-e-flyer.pdf

That sure sounds like it would fit the bill But is out of my price range today How does a two stage trigger work Does it stop at end of the pull of the first stage and you feel a reset or what

This sounds like this may help for I just checked my trigger travel and it is about 1/8in. may be a little more

You may want to try this.

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

I've done it to a couple AR triggers with a couple of my own modifications for enhanced safety.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried one of Dolomite's trigger kits.  But I'm guessing that his kit combined with this trigger job will make a pretty nice trigger.  1/8" of take-up is pretty significant.  His kit should take care of that.

For that matter, I would recommend simply using some polishing compound on the sear engagement along with Dolomite's trigger kit.

Different weights, different colors. I though JP had yellow ones. Maybe it's another brand

JP= Yellow the 3-3.5# red 4-5#
with spring only
when done right red can give you a under 4# feel

with a factory trgger and doomlight (sorry) style kit and some tuning can can be awesome.
On the 15 minute trigger job DO NOT clip any legs. Just bend both to the same angle. Also bend the trigger spring to an angle slightly shallower that the hammer. The reason is if you clip a leg and get light strikes you have to buy a new spring. If you just bend and get light strikes you can add more pressure.

In person I go a bit farther but I will not get into that on a public forum.

Dolomite

My vote would be:

No1-Geissele combat trigger

No2-RRA two stage national match

I have bought one Geissele and it is smooth as glass.

I have bought two RRA's and one was smoother than the other. One close to the Geissele, the other about 3/4's way there but way better than the stock trigger.

Shop around for both and quality doesn't come cheap.

And just so you know my kit improves any trigger with pre travel. I have installed them on two stage triggers with great results. They work on AR10's, machine guns as well as standard AR's. You will not find a kit like mine shipped for cheaper.

If you place your gun on safe and the trigger moves my kit will remove that movement. Doesn't matter the trigger type except maybe the self contained units.

And they also help the bump fire stocks work better.

And did I mention there is a 100% no fault and no questions asked money back guarantee. If you ask for your money back you will get a refund.

Dolomite

My vote would be:

No1-Geissele combat trigger

No2-RRA two stage national match

I have bought one Geissele and it is smooth as glass.

I have bought two RRA's and one was smoother than the other. One close to the Geissele, the other about 3/4's way there but way better than the stock trigger.

Shop around for both and quality doesn't come cheap.

No need to shop the Geissele. I've never seen them discounted anywhere. I have ordered two direct, because you get free swag direct from Geissele, and the same price as everywhere else.

On the 15 minute trigger job DO NOT clip any legs. Just bend both to the same angle. Also bend the trigger spring to an angle slightly shallower that the hammer. The reason is if you clip a leg and get light strikes you have to buy a new spring. If you just bend and get light strikes you can add more pressure.

In person I go a bit farther but I will not get into that on a public forum.

Dolomite

Dolomite,

I hope that your head does not get to big,

But to know and live near you would surely be a God Sent!