Looking for gun safe thoughts

I've been looking at gun safes, specs are: a 2 hr burn rating(no fire depts. nearby), around 12-15 cubic feet interior(probably listed as a 24-26 gun safe). This will hold important papers inside as well as a few rifles. Am looking at a Winchester Legacy Premier with electronic lock and a "Protector" 1880 L.E.O. Special. Any thoughts on either brand? Have contacted some dealers from this site but safe would have to be delivered, cannot be picked up unless in ne Tenn.

Robert

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TNSovereignty

I can't answer your question specifically, but a couple of thoughts.  1)  I bought a Liberty safe & love it.  Consider the option if you're able.  2)  Delivery will likely be curbside, or if you're lucky, to your doorstep.  Usually it's up to you to get it to it's eventual/permanent location.  A safe of the size you're considering is heavy.  Getting my safe from carport to MBR - about the same size you're looking at - was an all-day affair.  Because of my hallway angles & the turn into my bedroom, I ended up having to remove door/frame & 1 stud to get my safe in the room.  Bottom Line - have a plan on how you're going to get it to its final destination.  And make sure your floor - usually the corner of a room - is well supported for this relatively large load.  Good luck.

Safe will be on a concrete pad in an outbuilding, all level. Can move to building by tractor/front-end loader, then from there hopefully can use dollys. Just wondered if any brand has a better reputation than another. Or if there was a brand to stay away from.

Thanks for advice.

Robert ...

I wouldn't look at the brand so much as the actual materials and thickness of the materials being used.

At the end of the day, a safe is a big steel box -- brand aside -- they are the same thing.

I went with a Fort Knox -- the biggest one they make.  I'd go with the biggest, thickest safe you can afford.  I went with the Fort Knox because it came with a redundant lock (both electronic & manual)

What's your budget like if you don't mind me asking?  I researched for a good 2-3 months prior to going with what I went with and can certainly help :)

Edited by xRUSTYx

Safe will be on a concrete pad in an outbuilding, all level. Can move to building by tractor/front-end loader, then from there hopefully can use dollys. Just wondered if any brand has a better reputation than another. Or if there was a brand to stay away from.

Thanks for advice.

Can't help you with advice except to talk to dealers and manufactures but I would like to hear if you have concerns about moisture and humidity in this outbuilding and if you addressed them?

Am not too concerned about moisture and humidity. The room this is in is well insulated and will be kept from freezing in winter. This safe may hold computer backups so I may have to look about humidity issues.

Budget for this? For the size and burn rating, I may have to spend around $2,000. The 2 safes I mentioned in my first post are being offered around $1,800+ on the internet. I am ready to purchase, as I would like to get the safe in place and then framed around(it will be hidden by a wall). But before I spend that kind of money I would like to be sure I have crossed all my t's. Always one more question.

i use a 24" dehumidifier rod and it has been working fine.  For the install I routed the wire through the anchor holes in the bottom of the safe. Ditto on my bad experience with damprid (doesn't work that well) and evadry solutions (doesn't work that well plus i knocked one down and it broke open and sent beads all over the place).  Make sure your safe comes with some sort of a lighting setup.  Most safes also come with a door organizer for pistols and some even have a rifle setup on the door.

Good discussion about safes, Agree with getting a bigger safe than you think you need. In over 20 years of selling safes, I have never had someone call me and say their safe was to big but get numerous customers calling to say they have outgrown their safe.  On the moisture control issue , either a moisture absorbort product ( Eva Dry is a good product) or a heating bar (Dri Rod or Golden Rod) work well. Just remember that all safes are not created equal, so compare the features of the safes and get the biggest one that you can afford.

If you are in the Middle Tennessee area drop by our showroom and we would be happy to show you the over 300 and 8 different brands of safes we have in stock and compare.

We have some special pricing on selected safes through the end of the year.

NRA Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

I do have to disagree about getting the biggest safe possible. I decided too get 2 medium size safes instead of one big one. Reason being have you ever tried to move one of those monsters?

Like he said better to have two safes, more trouble for the crooks, especially if they are bolted together. 

I just got a good deal on a Liberty Lincoln 50 on Craig's List so there's an option.

I was originally looking at 35 gun safes thinking that they would be enough space but now that I finally have my Liberty 50 installed I am very glad that I got the bigger safe.  

Once I put all my wife's stuff and my guns in there I could see the space disappearing quickly and my gun collection is nowhere near where I would like it to be (and the dang scoped bolt guns take up a lot of space).  Also, the door organizer is a must, I would hate to have to put handguns on the shelves too and the pockets are nice too.

Oh and I was mistaken, It's a Franklin that I have, very good safe though.  At almost 1200 lbs, I want to see someone try to move it!