After Action Report on CIS Defensive Pistol class

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

The idea of a Defensive Pistol "Level Two" class makes me kind of giddy. It would be awesome if they would do that. Almost as awesome as it would be if I can get an AR together before September and take the carbine class. :shrug:

The idea of a Defensive Pistol "Level Two" class makes me kind of giddy. It would be awesome if they would do that. Almost as awesome as it would be if I can get an AR together before September and take the carbine class. :shrug:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's my goal!

• Administrator

We've got some really good pictures from the class. Plenty with brass flying, slides cycling, etc. As soon as I get an OK from the guys at CIS to post a link to them, I will. :)

PS: My wife took all of those pictures that I've linked so far, and all of the others in the gallery. She got tired of hanging out around the house on Sunday and decided to come hang out with us on the firing line and take pictures. She's pretty cool like that sometimes.

Guest earthworm

PS: My wife took all of those pictures that I've linked so far, and all of the others in the gallery. She got tired of hanging out around the house on Sunday and decided to come hang out with us on the firing line and take pictures. She's pretty cool like that sometimes.

Thank you ma'am.

Guest bkelm18
I love the choice of a red life jacket for body armor.

It's really not considered enough. LOL!!!

Nah, he's just afraid he will drown in the blood of all his victims from rockin his 'K.

I took a similar class back in February at Rangemaster, except we were indoors and got to blow black crud out of our noses each night. :death:

The training I received was easily worth the price of the class. When fellow shooters asked me why I thought it was so worthwhile, all I could come up with was shaking my head and telling them they needed to see for themselves (stupid on my part, I know). Competitive shooting is great for testing yourself and your gear, but you learn very little in IDPA or USPSA.

BTW, where is CIS? (I'm too lazy to dig up the atlas and find Smyrna).

• Administrator

Photos have been posted for your enjoyment. As I said before, I hope these inspire you to take a quality defensive handgun class if not from CIS from someone. Do some research before choosing your training provider and make sure that you're really getting education from someone with a good reputation and solid knowledge.

Backflips and ninja commando crap look good in the movies but they won't help you any in the real world. :hat:

Guest Natosha

Thanks so much for posting this. this is exactly the type of class that I wanted to find. :) I hope to talk my mom into this next year. I can't leave the baby yet for three days (Since I live far away) so I will have to wait a while.

Great Pics!

I would like to add a caveat for you folks that are going to take these courses that advocate kneeling, rolling etc.

get yourself a comfortable pair of knee pads.

all it takes is ONE rock, and your knee is toast...and as we all know, they don't heal as well as the rest of our bodies....

I haven't given much thought to reloading a pistol without both hands....that looks interesting and looks like something I need to learn.

• Administrator

I wanted to share some of the things that have really stuck with my since I took the class a week ago. These are just some things that I've either made it a point to do differently or have noticed myself doing automatically as a result of the training we were provided at the CIS class.

Spare Magazine -- I have found myself carrying a spare magazine anytime I am carrying my Glock now. Before I would rarely carry a spare mag as I felt that it was unnecessary for the average Joe and reserved for people who wear a badge or put themselves in high-risk environments. The only times I would carry a spare mag 100% of the time were when I was carrying my 1911. And only then did I do it because I realized that 8 rounds of ammo was not likely to be enough.

The CIS class really drove home how essential it is for you to have enough rounds at your disposal to take care of multiple attackers and/or deal with equipment failure. Even with my Glock's 15+1 round capacity, I no longer feel comfortable carrying just enough ammo to fill the gun. My daily carry now incorporates a single additional mag carried on my weak side.

Combat Reloads -- When I shoot at a range that allows movement, I have always changed magazines within 1-3 rounds of depleting the current magazine's inventory rather than run it dry. This is a holdover from shooting competition. But now I have begun doing my reloads and cycling the slide each time I ram the next magazine into the gun. It's a good habit to get into and definitely Murphy Proofs the situation.

I have to give Todd and Dustin 100% credit for this gem of wisdom, and they give 100% credit to their own sources of training. This is good stuff.

Checking Your 360 -- I caught myself subconsciously checking my perimeter at the range the other day after doing a few moving fire drills. I hadn't made a mental note to do that, I just was. This was something else that Todd and Dustin hammered into us at the class and it very obviously "stuck" with me and has become a part of my shooting habits.

Maglula UPLULA -- Seriously. The guy who invented this should win the Nobel Peace Prize. It's the best $30 piece of plastic and metal that I've ever bought. It makes loading a lot of high-cap magazines suck soooooo much less. :)

And in the "Things I need to be doing more" category...

More work on drawing the spare magazine from concealment! It's amazing how difficult it can be to pull a spare mag out from under an untucked polo shirt. You think it's going to be easy and then you play tug of war with your clothes just to get the #$%&* magazine out and lined up for insertion into the gun.

Practice one-handed reloads, both strong and weak hand. Who knew it could be that much fun?

Practice fast transition between hard and soft sight picture. I need to get my splits between shots back down to what they were when I shot USPSA regularly, but keep my accuracy up as high as possible. Pushing the envelope is really frustrating... but fun. B)