Thinking of getting a SCAR 17 - any reason not to?

Guest carrothospital

Guest carrothospital

So, I've wanted a SCAR 17 for years and with Mr. President backing another assualt weapons ban, now may be the time to do it. I don't own any other assault rifles, so this would be my first. Are there any good alternatives to the SCAR that aren't $3k? I don't really want something .223 and would prefer .308 or something similar. The only bad thing I've heard about the Scar 17 is that the trigger sucks, or takes a while to break in.

That being said, any suggestions or should I just be a man and pay up?

Thanks for the input.

Sad part about Scar's (both the 16s & 17s) ... Back in August -- They were running about $2000 - $2100, even for the FDE one's.

I was about to pick one up back then but decided to hold off ... If I decide to get one now, it looks like it was a $1,000 mistake :(

In all seriousness...they will have to use surgery to get the smile off. 

The trigger can be improved a great deal in a few minutes with some high grit sand paper.  Don't let the trigger stop you.  The gun is capable or sub-MOA accuracy with about any decent factory ammo ( I shoot 1.5 with Tula! 

It is pricey, but if you ever want one, now may be the time to get it.  If the fears turn out to be true, it may be your last chance.  The price spikes will hit them later than AR types because they are higher prices already, so most buyers won't look at them anyway.  I only paid $2500 for mine back in Feb, but I would still want it at $3k, no question.

So, I've wanted a SCAR 17 for years and with Mr. President backing another assualt weapons ban, now may be the time to do it. I don't own any other assault rifles, so this would be my first. Are there any good alternatives to the SCAR that aren't $3k? I don't really want something .223 and would prefer .308 or something similar. The only bad thing I've heard about the Scar 17 is that the trigger sucks, or takes a while to break in.

That being said, any suggestions or should I just be a man and pay up?

Thanks for the input.

Availability.

I bit the bullet and picked one up today .... Tough $3k pill to swallow, but I just couldn't wait anymore.  I picked up the black version -- I found nothing in FDE except $3500+ on GB.

I tend to prefer black rifles anyways.  I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

I bit the bullet and picked one up today .... Tough $3k pill to swallow, but I just couldn't wait anymore.  I picked up the black version -- I found nothing in FDE except $3500+ on GB.

I tend to prefer black rifles anyways.  I'll let you know what I think when I get it.
Well, if you decide you don't like it maybe we can talk about a trade/cash...your SCAR Heavy for my FNH AR10. ;)

I like mine in green :usa:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/50415-foliage-scar-17/

I regret that I am not at the range shooting it right now.  I'd punch my mother in the face before I'd sell it.

LoLoL!  I've read this many places.  People baulk at a $3k price tag, but then you talk to owners, and they say they would happily spend that money all over again.

I can't wait to give mine a whirl.  Do you have any specials shops to get mags at?

I found mags on gunbroker back in feb when they were hard to find for $50 each. They are starting to catch up now, but this most recent run will hurt. Palmetto had some yesterday. People sell them on fnforum.net. You can convert fal mags to work with a dremmel, and they are still dirt cheap. The scar17 forum on fnforum.net tends to update with info a lot.
Guest drv2fst
On target had a couple in stock last time I was there

I love mine. I wish I could afford another one to have a pair of 17's. as it is I only have one 16 and one 17 Edited by drv2fst
I hear they are hard on optics. Something about the recoil impulse is brutal. Need extremely tough optics.
I would look at the lwrc repr or larue obr or even a new armalite that takes magpul mags

The optic thing is a myth. The trouble was with eotechs with longitudinal battery mounts. The batteries would lose contact, but they didn't break. Problem fixed with transverse mounts. There were rumors of trouble with the early spectre DR's and their throw levers holding zero when changing magnification, but elcan addressed it. Rumored to be a qc issue at raytheon.

I ran a konus on mine for 500 rounds and it never missed a beat. Its a $150 scope! I run either a Vortex viper HD or aimpoint compM4 now with no issue.
Guest carrothospital

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I checked with HR and it seems that surgically removing smiles is covered under my healthcare, so I should be good to go. I also talked with my wife and got the go ahead. Now I have to figure out where to get it. I called a few stores around town yesterday and got some prices. I was also thinking gunbroker, as I saw some for lower prices on there, but you're *supposed* to pay sales tax to the state if you buy from out of state, correct? I know you have to have it shipped to an FFL and all that, but I'm not sure how the tax thing works.

I'd be interested in suggestions on optics and accessories too. I've never had a rifle to add accessories to (just my trusty M1), so I may leave it plain jane for a while and go iron sights, but I'd like to try out some add-ons.

Guest drv2fst
I hear they are hard on optics. Something about the recoil impulse is brutal. Need extremely tough optics.
I would look at the lwrc repr or larue obr or even a new armalite that takes magpul mags

Obviously you have never fired one. The recoil is extremely light. If there are optics that can't handle the recoil of this gun, those optics don't belong on anything more powerful than a .22.

I see you are in Manchester. I plan to take my 17 to Walden Ridge in Manchester in the next few days. Let me know if you want to come out and try it for yourself. You will be impressed by the gun.
On target had a couple in stock last time I was there

I love mine. I wish I could afford another one to have a pair of 17's. as it is I only have one 16 and one 17

Well then what you need to do is buy one of my 16s and I'll buy your 17...that way you'll have to alike; I could sell you the one I bought from you and if you really want a 308 we can talk about my AR10 ;)

Obviously you have never fired one. The recoil is extremely light. If there are optics that can't handle the recoil of this gun, those optics don't belong on anything more powerful than a .22.

It's not the recoil, it's the mass of the bolt.  It has a completely different impulse than standard variant rifles.  The optics issue is a confirmed problem....but it rears its head randomly.  From what I understand, the glass manufacturers are/have worked on it.

I've also read of .22's ruining high dollar optics.  The engineering/physics is beyond me though.

The ONLY thing that gives me angst about the SCAR is the spare barrel problem.  I've been waiting years for barrels, sure that they would come out eventually...and now that they're on the cusp of release, they are stupid expensive.  There is no way I will pay $1100+ for a spare barrel....its sad that I would consider $700 to be a "cheap" price on a spare barrel...