Thinking of getting a SCAR 17 - any reason not to?

Guest carrothospital

I've read 30k-ish.  That's what the old rep, Bob I believe his name is - the one who knew what he was about - told me.....I've also read that too.  I'm obviously no where near that but I've got thousands through mine.  Don't believe the FNForum hype about Pmags breaking SCARs either.  It's become a pet peeve of mine.  Supposition turned into fact somehow.

I mostly want a second barrel for an SBR.  One of the advantages about the SCAR is the QC barrel....but it's no good if A) there's no barrels and 2) if they're 2/3 the price of another rifle.   You tell me I have to pay $1100+ for a barrel, I'll just save the extra couple hundred to buy a whole other rifle.  One of the great things about my MRP, available barrels.

Edited by scoutfsu
Just a heads up, only store in town that had any 308's that I know of was Specialty Arms II.

Had 2 308 Bushmaster I think it was, a DPMS 308, and 1 308 FN SCAR.

I think the FN SCAR was $2999.

I recall the SCAR having "Made in Belgium" I think it was. Not sure if that makes it more desirable or not. it was a sort of desert tan color.

Get it while its there! Bet it won't last long! :) Edited by JohnC
$2999 is reasonably priced for a SCAR atleast over the last 48 hours ...

Just watched a FDE SCAR 17s on Gunbroker go for $4k+

Yeah, I was shocked he was keeping honest and not price gouging like some of the online retailers were doing.

I picked up my Sig Sauer SIG716 ODG for $1999 + tax and FFL at Specialty Arms today.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig716-patrol-odg.aspx Edited by JohnC
I carried one in Afghanistan my last trip, I wasn't sure about it at first, but wanted something in .308 so it had some a$$ behind it at distance. I found it to be a lot easier to shoot standing out to 700m than my M24 (Remington 700) or my Barrett M107. Going to a prone situation I'd take the other 2 in a heartbeat, not that it's bad but have you ever tried to shoot a Barrett standing? If I could stomach the cost I'd get one, but it comes with more sticker shock than my wife will allow.
Guest drv2fst
Oh, there is a significant LEO or military discount for scars. The guys at ontarget were telling me about it. They had a scar 17 on the wall for $2599. I asked why it was priced so low and they said it was the Leo / military discount offered by fn.
Does anyone have suggestions on the best/cheapest place to buy 308 around Nashville or online?

They're out of stock everywhere I called and looked except Specialty Arms II.

Like I said, last night when they closed they had 2 Bushmaster 308's, 1 DPMS 308, and 1 FN SCAR 308.

I can't say how long they'll last since stores are all selling out AR's fast! The AR's in 308 are the most scarce.
Just a heads up, only store in town that had any 308's that I know of was Specialty Arms II.

Had 2 308 Bushmaster I think it was, a DPMS 308, and 1 308 FN SCAR.

I think the FN SCAR was $2999.

I recall the SCAR having "Made in Belgium" I think it was. Not sure if that makes it more desirable or not. it was a sort of desert tan color.

Get it while its there! Bet it won't last long! :)

All the Civvie versions are made in Belgium.  The Full-Auto Mil versions are made in South Carolina.  Flat Dark Earth is the popular color, because its Flat Dark Earth, but they don't typically command much of a premium over black. 

T&T is the name of the outfit that comes to the Knoxville Shows that usually has a couple, but I am not sure what area of TN they are based out of. 

Guest carrothospital

The one at specialty arms has gone up $500 since Monday. They are getting snatched up like hot cakes. Wish I could pay for one in advance and just pick it up when it comes in.

I think they are great rifles... Although I sold my 16s recently I would have preferred a 17s.... I am currently in the market for an ar10 or similar platform rifle. I really want a Larue OBR but the $3300 + price tag and 6-8 month wait doesn't sit well with me. Although the LaRue is an amazing gun I am impatient especially with whats going on lately.

Edited by mcordell
Guest drv2fst

All the SCAR's that OnTarget had are gone.  Also almost every other gun that "looked" like a military style gun is gone also.  I've never seen their wall so bare.

The price tag is redonkulous. Get an AR10; it should work just fine. Not that SCARs aren't fine rifles, but I can't justify spending that kinda cash for something that is just as good as something 2-3 times cheaper.

But then again, I have kids. If you're a single guy, go ahead and buy it. You'll get to be the first kid on your block with one and everyone is gonna want to finger bang it on the range. They are sexy rifles.

I do understand they are pricy but they aren't just sexy, they are sexy but not just sexy. ;)

I took a two -day fighting rifle class a couple of months and used one of my SCAR 16s - I purposely didn't clean it between days to see if it would start to malfunction but it went through the entire class without a hickup; everybody's ARs and AKs started having multiple feeding problems/malfunctions; some really bad problems.

I realize that's just my example and not something you can make sweeping generalizations nor am I saying that there is anything with an AK or AR but I was very pleased with home mine performed.

I do understand they are pricy but they aren't just sexy, they are sexy but not just sexy. ;)

I took a two -day fighting rifle class a couple of months and used one of my SCAR 16s - I purposely didn't clean it between days to see if it would start to malfunction but it went through the entire class without a hickup; everybody's ARs and AKs started having multiple feeding problems/malfunctions; some really bad problems.

I realize that's just my example and not something you can make sweeping generalizations nor am I saying that there is anything with an AK or AR but I was very pleased with home mine performed.

I'll not argue mechanical reliability Robert. Clearly the SCAR is designed better in that regard, however, having used all three of the rifles you mentioned in a combat environment, attending over half a dozen intensive shooting courses (much longer than two days) with the AR platform and expending hundreds of thousands of rounds through that same series rifle I believe I can speak intelligently on it.

Through all the rounds I've fired from an M4/AR platform, I have never once had a malfunction that wasn't due to magazine, ammo or boot breakage. It is an incredibly dependable rifle. It just requires lube, which is a difficult concept for some (too much/too little), and that is operator head space and timing. I've stressed tested my service rifle putting at least 3,000 rounds over a two day period through it without issue. I don't believe that anyone here can carry that much ammo or will ever encounter a scenario where that much ammo must be fired in a life/death situation.

Therefore, it leads me to conclude that, although it's mechanical reliability is top notch, there is no advantage for the weekend warrior having a SCAR vs an AR platform, whether in 5.56 or .308, other than cool factor. Not to say that isn't a good enough reason... I got a lotta cool stuff, but I'm not kidding myself into believing that my ARs, SKS, MSAR, AK have any reliability advantage over the other so long as I have access to lube every few thousand rounds.
  • Like 1
Guest drv2fst

+1 TMF

I own both the SCAR 16 and SCAR 17.  I bought them because I like the design and features.  I agree that there are plenty of AR, AK, M1A, and FAL rifles that could give me all the reliability that I (hopefully) will ever need at half the price.  I tend to overanalyze every detail of a weapon that I'll probably only use at a class or at the range.  But that's part of the fun of the hobby.  

It's like comparing minute details of high end sports cars.  Unless you spend MANY hours per week driving on a closed race track, you will likely never see the difference between car A and car B.  But it's still fun to do.

I think that the SCAR platform is the best battle rifle platform on the market today, and I have owned almost all of them.  However, for what I need, a 10/22 works well enough.  But I didn't buy them because I needed them.  I bought them because I want them.

I really love this hobby and I hope the government does not take it from us.

Edited by drv2fst
I'll not argue mechanical reliability Robert. Clearly the SCAR is designed better in that regard, however, having used all three of the rifles you mentioned in a combat environment, attending over half a dozen intensive shooting courses (much longer than two days) with the AR platform and expending hundreds of thousands of rounds through that same series rifle I believe I can speak intelligently on it.

Through all the rounds I've fired from an M4/AR platform, I have never once had a malfunction that wasn't due to magazine, ammo or boot breakage. It is an incredibly dependable rifle. It just requires lube, which is a difficult concept for some (too much/too little), and that is operator head space and timing. I've stressed tested my service rifle putting at least 3,000 rounds over a two day period through it without issue. I don't believe that anyone here can carry that much ammo or will ever encounter a scenario where that much ammo must be fired in a life/death situation.

Therefore, it leads me to conclude that, although it's mechanical reliability is top notch, there is no advantage for the weekend warrior having a SCAR vs an AR platform, whether in 5.56 or .308, other than cool factor. Not to say that isn't a good enough reason... I got a lotta cool stuff, but I'm not kidding myself into believing that my ARs, SKS, MSAR, AK have any reliability advantage over the other so long as I have access to lube every few thousand rounds.

I've shot quite a few rounds myself - through an M1 and M14...they were pretty reliable too. ;)

Don't misunderstand; I'm not dissing the AR...if I had already owned two or three ARs a few years ago I don't know that I'd have bought an SCAR but I didn't own any and saw no reason to get one once the SCAR became available.  I've nothing against the AR platform...I've shot many from various manufacturers; even an M16 a number of years ago as M14s were being retired.

The SCAR is cool...it's also a hell of a lot of fun to shoot!

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest carrothospital

So, considering the shortage of any sort of assault rifle, including the SCAR, what might be some good alternatives in case I can't get one for under $5k? I'd still really love to get a 17S, but will the prices jumping like they are, I don't know if I can take it.

So, considering the shortage of any sort of assault rifle, including the SCAR, what might be some good alternatives in case I can't get one for under $5k? I'd still really love to get a 17S, but will the prices jumping like they are, I don't know if I can take it.

Assuming you can find one, there are a lot of great 308 semis out there.  If I didn't have the SCAR 17 I would look for an AR10 style (maybe a DPMS since prices are going so high) or a SIG 716.  After that I would probably look for an M1A, FAL, or CETME/HK Variant.  I would also consider a Keltec RFB.  Of all those though, you are probably most likely to find an FAL or CETME at this point.  Don't they make VEPR's in 308?  That could be interesting.  It is not going to be in the same class in terms of accuracy as a SCAR, AR10, or M1A, but it will probably do as well as an FAL. 

The only 308 semis I have ever owned are an M1A, M1A SOCOM, and now the SCAR 17, so I have no first hand experience with the others.  Well, I did own a CETME for about a day once, but didn't get it to the range before someone offered me more than I could pass up.  My Aunt had a Browning BAR BOSS in 308 that was awesome that I shot a few times.  Not at all tacticool, but a hell of a rifle nonetheless.  I also sited in a REPR for a fellow one day.  it was a great rifle, but I wouldn't take it over a SCAR.

Guest The Dude

About the only other rifle I would take after a SCAR would be either an FAL or Vepr in .308. I could care less about the others. The FNH AR looks pretty slick, but I dont care for no iron sights, and the reason I never got into one.

And Ive seen groups of the Vepr .308's go sub MOA, but with better ammo and good optics and a non factory trigger.

About the only other rifle I would take after a SCAR would be either an FAL or Vepr in .308. I could care less about the others. The FNH AR looks pretty slick, but I dont care for no iron sights, and the reason I never got into one.

And Ive seen groups of the Vepr .308's go sub MOA, but with better ammo and good optics and a non factory trigger.

I have an FNH AR10 and love it...never thought the lack of iron sights to be a problem although I understand why that would be important to others. My only complaint with it and it isn't much of one, is that it's not as easy to take down and clean as my SCAR...other than that it's unbelievably accurate and a ball to shoot.  :)