Stand back folks... I'm improving on perfection here!

TGO David

• Administrator

image.php?u=2&dateline=1210599643&type=profile

I know what you're saying. "Whoa there, buddy! That's crazy talk!" But I am going for it. I'm improving on perfection and have ordered a few new tweaks for my Glock 19 based on some things that I experienced and learned this past weekend in the defensive handgun class.

First up, a Vicker's Extended Glock Mag Release. Not as short and stubby as what it was born with (aww... wookit at how cute it is) but not as long and cumbersome as the ninja commando mall warrior Glock Extended Mag Release that the Tactical & Practical models come with.

No sir, just right. Big enough to get the job done, small enough you can still tuck it away without a ... um ... premature ... discharge? ;)

Next up, a reduced weight (15lb) recoil spring and steel guiderod. I got to shoot Todd@CIS's Glock 19 with this setup and the difference in splits between followup shots was surprising. Apparently Glock saves a little cash by using the same heavy recoil spring on the .40SW Glock 23 as they do on the 9mm Glock 19.

You tell me... do you use the same shock absorbers on a Kenworth as you do on a Toyota Tundra? I. Don't. Think. So.

After I do all of this, the only logical thing left to do is glue on some velcro so that it can be uber tactical. :mad:

Thanks for the advice, Todd! Oh, and I was just kidding about the Velcro.

Or was I?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Was the gun not working properly?
I still recall my NRA instructor's advice: Leave the !@#$% thing alone. I don't think I've ever seen a modification that really added much, and they all detract to some degree.

It ran fine. However the lack of a ambidextrous mag release is one of the Glock's flaws. We did several one-handed (injury simulation) drills in class and it was made very obvious that the Springfield XD and the Glock 21SF both have the advantage for weak-hand shooting because of their ambi design.

The extended release can be manipulated with your one weak hand even if you have to physically lay the weapon down, mag release downward, and push it against a hard surface to eject the mag.

YES, that is an extreme situation. But **** happens and usually at the worst possible moment. I already had difficulty manipulating the mag release with my strong hand because of a real bitch of a case of tennis elbow (tendonitis). I'm going to stack the deck in my favor any way I can.

The recoil spring and guide rod are just improvements to help cut down my split times (faster follow up shots while retaining accuracy) and avert a known problem with the plastic Glock guiderods splitting and failing over time.

BTW: I agree with your NRA instructor but there are cases where minor improvements make sense. These are two such cases.

Guest Todd@CIS
Was the gun not working properly?

His worked just fine.

I'm pretty conservative with defensive firearm modifications.

But, there are things I like as long as they don't degrade reliability.

For instance...what do I do to my personal G19s?

1. NightSights

2. Wolff steel guide rod and 15lb recoil spring. ZERO loss in reliability (personally, I feel reliability is gained as I have NEVER had a malfunction with this set-up in thousands of rounds...I can't say that with the stock set-up) and reduced felt recoil. Ask Tungsten, he did a side-by-side with my G19 and his (stock).

3. Vicker's mag release. Perfect length, IMO.

4. G17 trigger. I like smoother vs. serrated.

I do these 4 things to every G19 I own. Are any of these things "mandatory?"

Probably not, but none of them degrade reliability and they enhance my weapon's shootability.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Todd@CIS
I still recall my NRA instructor's advice: Leave the !@#$% thing alone. I don't think I've ever seen a modification that really added much, and they all detract to some degree.

Most of the time I'm completely on board with this...

but your second sentence is not correct.

Edited by Todd@CIS

A magwell on a fighting pistol helps

I like flat mainspring housings on 1911s

I didn't get a chance to do the side by side that Tungsten did...I was too busy playing with the suppressed full auto goodies, but I don't agree that a pistol can't be improved upon. Too many compromises made in order to market them to the largest possible market.

The right changes can make a good gun better.

Guest Mugster
His worked just fine.

I'm pretty conservative with defensive firearm modifications.

But, there are things I like as long as they don't degrade reliability.

For instance...what do I do to my personal G19s?

1. NightSights

2. Wolff steel guide rod and 15lb recoil spring. ZERO loss in reliability (personally, I feel reliability is gained as I have NEVER had a malfunction with this set-up in thousands of rounds...I can't say that with the stock set-up) and reduced felt recoil. Ask Tungsten, he did a side-by-side with my G19 and his (stock).

3. Vicker's mag release. Perfect length, IMO.

4. G17 trigger. I like smoother vs. serrated.

I do these 4 things to every G19 I own. Are any of these things "mandatory?"

Probably not, but none of them degrade reliability and they enhance my weapon's shootability.

I don't know anything about glocks, but

Its true a reduced power recoil spring will reduce felt recoil and probably up reliability because the slide will move faster. If your going to be shooting alot of hot ammo out of it, i recommend putting the stock spring back in to save the frame. If your shooting mostly WWB 115gr/124gr or M882 or even milder steel cased stuff, then carry on.

Most of the time I'm completely on board with this...

but your second sentence is not correct.

You're right. The Radom P64 absolutely is made whole again by substituting a reduced power Walther PPk hammer spring, reducing trigger pull from about 20 lbs to 5.

But other than that I am right.

any firearm can be tweaked to improve performance, imo, simply because no 2 shooters are the same.

everyone generally holds their pistol/body in some different manner to allow them to shoot comfortably.

the recoil spring change makes sense, as does mugsters' observation as to what ammo you can shoot out of it without dinging up the frame..

Usually, when I get an automatic pistol (we all know I'm a fan of JMB's designs) I will use an emory cloth to smooth both the hammer and the back of the slide so that it cycles more effectively...as well as doing a few other things depending on the type of pistol.

Those changes make sense to me though! Nice touches!

Off topic: good to see ya Reef!

Edited by towerclimber37
It ran fine. However the lack of a ambidextrous mag release is one of the Glock's flaws. We did several one-handed (injury simulation) drills in class and it was made very obvious that the Springfield XD and the Glock 21SF both have the advantage for weak-hand shooting because of their ambi design.

The extended release can be manipulated with your one weak hand even if you have to physically lay the weapon down, mag release downward, and push it against a hard surface to eject the mag.

YES, that is an extreme situation. But **** happens and usually at the worst possible moment. I already had difficulty manipulating the mag release with my strong hand because of a real bitch of a case of tennis elbow (tendonitis). I'm going to stack the deck in my favor any way I can.

The recoil spring and guide rod are just improvements to help cut down my split times (faster follow up shots while retaining accuracy) and avert a known problem with the plastic Glock guiderods splitting and failing over time.

BTW: I agree with your NRA instructor but there are cases where minor improvements make sense. These are two such cases.

Is manure so much more of a dirty word then a female dog? ;)

Hmm...an extended mag release for a Glock is often a standard accessory for short-fingered right-handed Glock shooters. A cheap, simple mod is to get a Glock 21 mag release (aka 9/40/357 extended mag release) and an emery board and custom-fit your own. $2.49 + an emery board. I am left-handed, and actually prefer the mag release to be on the left side. Reaching around the grip and hitting a mag release with my thumb is awkward as hell to me. When I try it right-handed, I see why so many people say Glocks are too thick.

Guest sling

+1 on the mods Tungsten.

If you get ballsy and want to go at making that trigger a smidge smoother you can add the infamous "3.5 connector" and polish the key contact points within the action. Makes a difference like night and day on gritty triggers. :) Let me know if you'd like help.:koolaid:

• Administrator
+1 on the mods Tungsten.

If you get ballsy and want to go at making that trigger a smidge smoother you can add the infamous "3.5 connector" and polish the key contact points within the action. Makes a difference like night and day on gritty triggers. :) Let me know if you'd like help.:koolaid:

If it were a "gamer" gun I'd be all over the lighter trigger. Since it's my carry weapon, the heavier trigger is fine.

General agreement here. I have made most of the mods on my G19 that Todd suggests, and have found slightly increased "shootability" along with no decline in performance or reliability. I also use an (Glock) extended slide release -which helps my stubby little fingers adn does not impede the draw or the holstering.

I do suggest to my beginning students that they leave the gun alone, as after-market mods can be confusing, overwhelming and many not useful (or even harmful.) However, in an advanced class with experienced handgunners, I see no reason not to discuss some. (The question always comes up anyway.)

YEMV

+1 on the mods Tungsten.

Guest sling
If it were a "gamer" gun I'd be all over the lighter trigger. Since it's my carry weapon, the heavier trigger is fine.

Agreed. Just thought i'd throw it out there. :koolaid: