Son asked me a question to settle an argument

Cannot, Can't and Can Not are all the same.

The difference you were looking for was May Not.

No, I was thinking the difference in the word combinations.  cannot != can not.  cannot has a specific definition, just as the words can and not have specific definitions.  Was taught that "can not" implies a decision to not do something, though I hastily said allowed previously, which was a mistake.

Edited by sigmtnman
  • 3 weeks later...

i will have to look up the tennessee code...but it totally makes any gun buster sign or any where your not suppose to carry hog wash... really stupid if u ask me... but it says you can not be charged if you where in the act of protecting yourself or a third party from bodily harm or death blah blah blah... so if i carried into a movie theater that has a gun buster sign up and i have to use my gun to protect myself or someone else i can not be charged... but i guess if im caught in the movie theater and nothing happens while im there and get caught with a hand gun on me i could be charged...WTF!

i will have to look up the tennessee code...but it totally makes any gun buster sign or any where your not suppose to carry hog wash... really stupid if u ask me... but it says you can not be charged if you where in the act of protecting yourself or a third party from bodily harm or death blah blah blah... so if i carried into a movie theater that has a gun buster sign up and i have to use my gun to protect myself or someone else i can not be charged... but i guess if im caught in the movie theater and nothing happens while im there and get caught with a hand gun on me i could be charged...WTF!

It’s better than the alternative of needing to act AND being charged.

[quote name="carter" post="880408" timestamp="1357819325"]i will have to look up the tennessee code...but it totally makes any gun buster sign or any where your not suppose to carry hog wash... really stupid if u ask me... but it says you can not be charged if you where in the act of protecting yourself or a third party from bodily harm or death blah blah blah... so if i carried into a movie theater that has a gun buster sign up and i have to use my gun to protect myself or someone else i can not be charged... but i guess if im caught in the movie theater and nothing happens while im there and get caught with a hand gun on me i could be charged...WTF![/quote] Considering that no one has been charged for carrying past a gunbuster it isn't something that keeps me awake at night or obsessively eyeballing an entrance way to a building for 5 minutes looking for a sign.

You unfortunately cannot have a loaded handgun in your car here without a permit.  Most of the surrounding states you can in some form keep a loaded handgun in your vehicle.  I know in Mississippi (i am just across the state line from there) you can keep any loaded handgun in your vehicle without any sort of permit if you are 18 years old.

Edited by 270win

I currently am a Ms. resident and yes the castle law here states wherever you are you can have your loaded gun. When you leave home in morning you carry it to the car and lay it on the seat loaded if you want or put it under the seat. But so I can carry one when we come to our Tn. home I have a carry permit. Al. isn't keen on not having a carry permit either you have to have the gun and ammo separate. Now what good is that???

39-17-1322.  Defenses. 

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.

Edited by carter
Guest higherpowerracing

39-17-1322.  Defenses. 

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.

So carry just don't get caught unless you shoot somone in defense???????????

As a LEO, I really don't care if people carry illegally as I just assume everyone I come in contact with has a weapon anyway. But there is one huge problem with this: the way a jury persieves you carrying without a permit when you supposedly acted in self defense.

I got arrested for carrying a gun in my car in Illinois. I was much younger and thought I could make a 2nd amendment argument if caught. I found out very quickly that contrary to what anyone thinks; I didn’t have that right. Tennessee has exactly the same laws as Illinois unless you buy the privilege.

I don’t suggest anyone try this. The chances are much greater that you will get caught carrying than they are that you will need one. You live in a state where you can get a permit; there is no reason not to take advantage of that.

As a LEO, I really don't care if people carry illegally as I just assume everyone I come in contact with has a weapon anyway. But there is one huge problem with this: the way a jury persieves you carrying without a permit when you supposedly acted in self defense.

Very good point. If you are at trial chances are very good you screwed up or are going to be convicted of screwing up; perceptions are as important as facts in a jury trial.

yea you could... and if you do have to shoot someone evidently you can't be charged or convicted of a crime if you where the victim... i have my carry permit so I'm not worried about it... where i am originally from ( NC ) you can carry in plain sight without a carry permit... but to carry concealed you have to have the permit... but buying a handgun is a chore unless its changed