Need advice on what and how for my wife to carry

Guest DarylDixon

Guest DarylDixon

My wife has pretty much decided she wants to get her carry permit. I am thrilled about that. I carry a 9mm XD subcompact, but I can't be with my family when I go to work. My wife is a stay at home mom with 3 kids under the age of 6. I was trying to think of what would be the best strategy for her to carry while making sure that the kids can't just get ahold of it. We don't want to just stick a gun in her purse because obviously, it could be easily encountered by a child.

My wife is fit and hot. :rock: She doesn't dress in baggy clothing.

I have an extra XD 9mm sub compact that she could carry if she wants to. She likes to shoot it, but I worry that it may be uncomfortable for her due to its thickness. Any advice about what and how she should carry is greatly appreciated.

Well the first thing I told my wife was carrying a gun will be more comforting than comfortable. With that said she will have to make some clothing compromises to carry unless she goes with a pocket pistol. Even then you can't have small pockets. There are belly bands but you can't really where skin tight clothes. Same goes for hip holsters. If she is not going to change dress she will just have to strap on an OWB holster and OC. Good luck man! :yuck:

• Like 1

I have the same problem.  Fit hot wife with tight cloths  :rock:  lol.  And she is very small framed. 

We wen't through this a few years ago.  I could not get her to decide on one gun.  she liked the Ruger lcp, Lady smith, and the Taurus slim.  She was very good and comfortable with semi-auto but didn't want to eliminate the revolver. 

Very long story short, we'd been shooting for a while.  She was opening up her business at 6 a.m. and in my PHO (paranoid husband opinion)   :taunt: I could see 10 places for a BG to wait for her if one wanted to cause trouble.  I bought her the Taurus slim because it was inexpensive (why spend a lot of money on a nice pistol that she may end up not liking) and our only other handgun at the time was a 9mm.  2 months later I bought myself the LCP ... and you could probably finish the story. 

She decided she liked the LCP better the moment I brought it home so my new "pocket pistol" ended up being the taurus...

She wears the LCP in an iwb holster and you wouldn't even know it was there unless you knew what to look for.  I've just told her if anyone asks what the bulge is to tell them it's an insulin pump. :rofl:

Other's will tell you no because it's a 380 but she wouldn't carry the taurus because it was too obvious ("big").  The LCP was perfect.

Guest RobThatsMe

If budget is of no concern, take a look at the Sig P238, .380 cal, or the Sig P938, a real compact 9mm.

These are comfortable to shoot, have night sights, and dependable.

Rob

Sig P238 is what my wife ended up with after a long search. She had trouble racking most pistols due to arthritic hands, but she can rack the P238 easily. I've carried a few times and it is really nice.

I think the Bersa Thunder has a keyed lock and has a special key to unlock, so it might be a good choice because of the kids.

My wife carries an XD9 Service model.. She has one of those fancy purses that has a special zippered pocket holster that has a lock and key for it. While carrying she leaves it unlocked to gain fast access. Other times when in a more safe environment and the kids are around it gets locked or taken out and put on the shelf for easy access for her but not the kids..

My Kids know better than to go digging into her purse now (son 6 daughter 14). If you educate your children on proper gun safety then you won't have to worry as much. I allow my 6 year old son to help when I clean our guns and let him handle them and teach him the proper and safe techniques. We have even tested him by leaving an unloaded gun out in the open and he passed the test. Now, with saying that you still have to exercise extreme caution with children around.

Guest mellowglock

My wife is a big fan of the Bersa 380 Thunder that I got her. She doesn't have a carry permit yet, but I've carried it multiple-times in situations where I legally can but discretion is advised (my family hates guns!). Slips into a pocket holster, inside the waistband holster, or on an ankleholster for max-out-of-site.

It's a .380 so recoil isn't terrible, small, and has an external safety which was a requirement for her. Haven't had any jams or problems with it and they're not very expensive.

most of my lady friends carry a walther p22 in pink fashion (one even has a digital camo pink).   I of course had to shoot it, and hopefully those pictures will delete themself from my facebook, and they are nice and shoot straight.  The only downside was the size and loudness, and most of them place it inside their purse rather than on their person.

Guest RonM0710

A lot of good advice above. 

1. Make sure she can manipulate the gun.  Some semi-autos are hard to rack, hard to release slide, so on. A revolver might be better.

2. Make sure she can carry it on her person to her satisfaction.

3. Make sure she likes shooting it and can hit the target.  Some guns fit the hand better than others.

She has to be comfortable with shooting, carrying and manipulating the gun.

The bra holster and the smart carry holsters are both good for women that do not want to wear men's clothing. If she wears a belt, then something like the Crossbreed Holsters might be good.  There is also the Remora holsters that are clip-less.

As far a caliber goes, I carry a 9mm or a .380 but bigger is better if she can do all three of the above.

Ron

Guest bluecanary25

When DA BOSS is on her personal time, she is now using OWB/w thumbbreak holster for a Bersa 380. 

Much more comfortable than the IWB. 

Concealment is a problem for most women as they are built differently. (VIVA LA DIFFERANCE!!  :woohoo: )

You stated she is a hottie and likes to dress nicely.......... any non-biological bulges may be easily seen.

Perhaps boots and an ankle holster?  or my personal fave... OWB open-carry.

As someone stated earlier: very appealing.  :2cents:

Daryl, I always suggest a woman or a guy that doesn't shoot often to use a revolver. Minimum .38 special and mine uses a .357 snubby, hammerless. They can train with .38's and occasionally shoot the .357's so they build up confidence in their shooting skills. Start at 2 yards and a IPSC mansize cardboard target. Tell her it is just like playing cowboys and indians, there are no safeties or buttons to worry about, just pull the trigger until it clicks. I think alot of people like the little semi auto guns and they are great, I carry a Keltec P-40, but there is always a revolver in close proximity to where I am.