What is the cheapest revolver handgun for daily carry?

Guest Benkharr

Guest Benkharr
I am about to purchase my wife and myself a revolver to carry. We are both getting our permits this month and need something to carry thats cheap! Thanks friends. Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Guest bkelm18
Something you are going to trust your life to isn't where you want to cheap out.

Sometimes it can't be helped. A Taurus or Charter will do fine and are certainly better than nothing.

I have carried a Charter since 1973. First as a off duty and now as a ccw, same one all these years. Don't know how many rounds has gone through it, but it has always gone bang. Trigger is not the smothest in DA, but it won't quit you.

you can get a new junker or a solid used gun for about the same price.   An older s&w 10 (I think?) --- the classic 1960s or 70s era 38s ---  fairly cheap as they made a ton of them, everyone had one, and a lot of them were shot little and carried to death (finish and all are trashed but gun is sound). 

Taurus makes a solid gun at a reasonable price, but you can still do better in the used arena IMHO.

• Like 1
I think th OP is wanting s more concealable revolver than a 4" k frame. From my experience 2" k frames aren't cheap.

I maybe had the wrong model.  Ive got a pair of old 38s that have short barrels and have little value, I would say its a 2 inch barrel but thats a guess.  Or maybe I am wrong about the value,  but if a finishless, heavy old pistol is worth more than $300 or so, I am surprised.

Edited by Jonnin

I own a Rossi 461 that I picked up at Academy on Black Friday last year brand new for $229.  I got the 3" barrel, but it usually comes in 2". The 3" is an Academy only model I think. The usual price is $259 or so.  I find it enjoyable to shoot and it is often easier to carry than my compact 9.  It's a 6 shot that falls between J and K, I have heard that it is the same frame size as a colt D frame.  The only two knocks I have against it is that you shouldn't dry fire it without snap caps due to the design, and it may be a bit heavier other similar revolvers. I find the weight to be a help when firing .357 loads at the range.  The 351 model .38 5-shot is out there too at a bit less $$$.  Rossi isn't high on many people's list of brands, but I think it is a decent enough wheel gun that I carry it on a regular basis. For the price with lifetime warranty, it may be an option for you.

Rossi is owned/made by Taurus. 

Edited by Ranger305
Smiths, Colts and Rugers are what you want. If it's a Taurus, Charter Arms, or Rossi then it better be a pretty good deal and function great. My Dad had a Arminius that I would have put against any of my Smiths, I've seen deals on them before for around $200. If its a Rohm and under $50 walk away.

The Rossi's I've handled over the years have been pretty decent pistols for the money.  If you are on a budget and need two pistols, then they are a pretty good buy.  I never find good deals on used Smiths at Gun Stores or Pawn Shops.  Most of the time, you are better off to buy a new one, for what they want on used ones.  Finding a Colt revolver on a budget price, well good luck with that, since they don't make them anymore!  If your on a budget and are needing two revolvers, better to stick with Rossi or Taurus, and maybe Charter.

I bought a Cobra 642 copy a while back for 225....not bad. US made, lifetime warranty. But I also have a SW 642 and I have seen them at gun shows being sold by individuals for as little as 325. But 350 should get a used one anytime. I like the round butt K frames but I really don't like carrying them... a little heavy. Nothing I have ever carried seems as easy as the lightweight 5 shot j frames.  Oh and I have a NAA 22...it is a good summertime pocket get off me gun but I don't want to use it as a daily carry.

Guest Aces&8s
My mom has a Rossi .38 that has been a great gun, and my father-in-law has a charter arms .38 that is a nice revolver, too. I think either would be fine choices, if you cannot afford a Smith or Ruger. In fact, I am looking to get a charter bulldog in .44 special as my next wheelie.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2
  • 2 weeks later...