Why are Sig P250s so cheap? Anybody here got one?

Guest mellowglock

Guest mellowglock

Howdy folks,

I'm looking at a P250 in .45 as a secondary bigger caliber home gun. I've seen these guys floating around for like $299 at local gunshows and am wondering if they are worth it? Sig, from what I know, usually costs money, so why are these so cheap? I heard they failed a government contract or something, but the government also switched the 1911 with the 92FS, so their opinion isn't really held in that high of regard with me. 

Anybody on here got one? Are there good parts available for it?

I have shot a compact and as long as you like fat guns and loong DA triggers they are great.

The government failure was with the Department of Homeland Security and involved some trouble guns that were from the first supply. Sig almost lost a multi million dollar contract because they would not fix or replace the guns. It was a big stink in the organization and just about got nasty, mainly do to the fact how much money was going to be spent and possibly a cut back that was suspected. Government greed!
I would buy a P250 but I would like all guns, thoroughly test it. Also, there are several magazine configurations, make sure you order the right type,there is a 1st gen and 2nd gen frame. Edited by Patton

I have one that i rarely ever shoot.  It's biggest detractor is that really loooong trigger pull as already mentioned.  Thankfully its not a very heavy pull and is relatively smooth.  The only reason i dont shoot it more is that it was a unit order commemorative gun.  If you can find one for the right price and dont mind the trigger then go for it.  There cheap because o the particular way there made.  One of the reasons they are cheaper is because the polimer frame.  Another is that there is less engineering and machining required for a doable action only pistol.  There isnt a whole lot of aftermarket stuff out there for them.  The P250 did win a Dutch contract in 2011 that was later recended.  From my understanding the contract was conditional on a change to the 250 that after testing was deemed unsafe.  The original P250 is a perfectly safe and usefull pistol.  I have to say though if your looking at a more budget minded pistol there are probably better out there.  If you can scrape up a little more money and like sig's take a look at the sp 2022

Edited by c.a.willard
Guest Travtastik
I had one and I traded it off really fast. I got it around when they first came out and payed $600 for it. I never thought it was worth that a traded it soon after. I seen one for $275 about a month ago and I thought about it but didn't get. For $300 it's not bad but I wouldn't pay much more for one. As stated there are better budget pistols out there.
A friend of mine has a P250 that he likes really well, in fact he uses it as a suppressor host.

I actually like the long, smooth DAO trigger on the P250, it feels a lot like the DAK trigger group on my P226, which I believe was Sig's goal (to affordably replicate the DAK).

There were some problems with the early release P250's but I think all of the kinks have been worked out of them, that said I do like the P2022 a bit better & if you have enough of a budget to swing the extra dough the P226R DAK is my favorite of them all.
I shot Raoul's in 9mm version. I really liked it. Yes the trigger pull is long, but it's really smooth and constant. A short practice period to be shooting accurate double taps, IMO. they are a great value with their low price. Edited by Lumber_Jack

I recently picked up a Sig P250 9mm sub compact. Being an older guy that loves double action revolvers I found the trigger on the P250 to be Outstanding!

All you younger guys want to be able to cock a revolver/pistol and it really does help you target shoot. But in a real fight you are not going to want a short 3 pound trigger. I love the fact that it has a long smooth light trigger just like my SW 19 and 686 but it is light, fits in my pocket and holds 12+1 rounds of hot 9mm. I may by a 45 compact conversion....but it works so well as a subcompact 9mm i am not sure I want to change it. If I run into another cheap I am going to buy it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
Sig is like the Microsoft of the gun world. They really do make excellent products that work and work well, but every other release they make just.. makes no sense at all, and usually bombs.

Now THIS is an analogy most people can get behind!

Mac

Guest mellowglock

From what I'm reading, beyond all the small gripes, it seems pretty reliable. I've owned a number of different pistols with long trigger pulls (Kel-tek P11 - WOW!!!) and we're not that worried about it.

One last question: badguy breaks into your house at three in the morning, or pulls a knife on you at the ATM, would you trust your life to this gun to go bang each time you fire? I'm asking for a friend who has almost exactly three hundred dollars and wants to get one while they're still available at this price. If you have any other suggestions that you would trust your life too, that aren't revolvers, in the 45 caliber range, for the same price or less, lemme know. He knows he can get a Glock for 100 more, or used guns, but money's tight and he's set his limit right at 300 and wants to buy new.

Edited by mellowglock
I would trust it only if I had tested it thoroughly, like 100 rounds without a hint of a problem. Other than some used guns there isn't much for under $300. However, $300 can get you a great home defense shotgun. A Hi Point often makes a great gun for your situation, they are big, ugly, and not as cool as a Sig but probably have about the same track record.
Don't even compare the P-11 to the P250. The P250 is longer-seriously, but smoother. Most of the difference in the two is probably mental just because of the size. Edited by Patton

Got a p250 full size and subcompact, both 9mm. Like them both. The FS is great for home defense, DA only, no other safeties. SC is a little thick to carry, but can be done. Both have been reliable. If you can get used to the trigger, I think they are great values.

• 10 months later...

I bought a P250 subcompact 9mm for my wife. She thinks it bucks too much, but then she would say the same of a 32. Personally, I have no problem with the DA pull. It's very smooth, comparatively light and, for a relatively short barrel, it's extremely accurate out to 25 yds. No, it's not a 226 and isn't built anything like it. The 250 firing mechanism looks like something out of a Ruger 10/22, but it seems to work well. About 500 rounds down range and no issues. Carries well with a OTB flight deck holster. I like it and often find myself shooting it instead of the 226 at the range. How well it finds the X amazes me. (And it's a whole lot faster to clean up when I get home. Just pop out the firing mechanism and take the polymer frame to the hot tub for a scrub.)