Responses from Legislators

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
Here is a response I got the 8th from Alexander. Dear Timothy, Thanks very much and letting me know what’s on your mind regarding the right to bear arms. I’m a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. Congress should not pass laws that take away these rights from law abiding citizens and leave criminals to terrorize the streets. Good citizens don’t abuse guns – criminals do. I will continue to support legislative efforts to protect the Second Amendment rights of law abiding Americans, and oppose efforts to overturn the Second Amendment. In two recent cases, the U.S. Supreme Court clearly held that the Second Amendment protects the right of individual Americans to keep and bear arms. In the 2008 case, D.C. v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that D.C.’s restrictive gun laws violated the constitutional rights of Americans. Two years later, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court struck down the city of Chicago’s handgun ban and held that, like the federal government, state and local governments must respect Second Amendment rights. I joined legal briefs in both cases in defense of this constitutional right and was pleased with the Supreme Court’s decisions. I am grateful you took the time to let me know where you stand. I’ll be sure to keep your comments in mind as Second Amendment rights are discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee. Sincerely, Lamar
  • 2 weeks later...
reply from Corker
Dear Mr. Davis,

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary and the issue of gun control. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

Like any parent, I was heartbroken to hear about this tragedy, and like other Tennesseans, I have the victims and families in my thoughts and prayers. Given such an unspeakable act of violence perpetrated on children, it's appropriate to talk about what we're doing to keep our communities safe, recognizing the issues involved are complex, especially when it comes to identifying and acting upon the warning signs that always seem to precede these incidents.

While I have always believed that it is critical to ensure that firearms are kept out of the hands of those who have lost their constitutional right to firearm possession, the right to own firearms for shooting, hunting, and self-protection is important to me as a Tennessean and as an American. Should legislation dealing with our Second Amendment rights come before the Senate, I will certainly take your concerns into consideration. I also wanted to share the steps I have taken to protect our Second Amendment rights in the attached "Policy Points" document.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

from the .pdf

As a hunter and sportsman, Senator Bob Corker is a strong advocate for the Second Amendment. He believes the Constitution provides law abiding citizens the freedom to keep and bear arms.
 Support for an Individual Right.
Senator Corker supports the recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions striking down DC and Chicago gun laws and affirming that gun ownership is an individual right protected throughout our country.
 Support for Restoring the Second Amendment. Senator Corker was one of the original Cosponsors of S.1001, a 2007 bill to restore Second Amendment rights in the District of Columbia. At that time, the citizens of Washington DC were required to register all privately owned firearms and possession of a handgun within the Washington DC city limits was prohibited. This bill would have allowed the ownership of a firearm, including a handgun, in Washington DC.
 Prohibit funding for groups who infringe on the Second Amendment. Senator Corker voted for an amendment that would prohibit any funding to foreign organizations that infringe upon the Second Amendment rights of lawful American citizens.
 Support for Gun Manufacturers and Dealers. Senator Corker was a Cosponsor of the BATFE Reform and Firearms Modernization Act and the
Firearms Fairness and Affordability Act. These two bills would ease several of the unnecessary and unfair burdens of complying with federal licensing and tax laws for firearm manufacturers and dealers.
 Support for Conceal and Carry Laws. Senator Corker voted for an amendment that supports state conceal and carry laws by allowing people to carry concealed weapons in National Parks and Refuges if state laws allow it. He also voted for an amendment that would allow those with a permit to carry a concealed firearm in one state to do so in another state in accordance with the laws of that state.
 Support for National Shooting Sports Foundation. Senator Corker supported the nomination of a National Shooting Sports Foundation representative to be appointed to the Defense Trade Advisory Group to represent the interests of small arms manufacturers. This appointment will protect the interests of small arms manufactures within this group.

“I am committed to safeguarding the rights of law-abiding American citizens, and in the Senate I will be a consistent voice for the Second Amendment and fight attempts to weaken those rights that are granted in the Constitution.”
- Senator Bob Corker

I agree. Thanks for the email and support. Ron

Sent from my iPad

>

>
> January 24, 2013
>
> The Honorable Ron Lollar
> 301 6th Avenue North
> Nashville, TN 37243
>
> Dear State Assemblyman Lollar,
>
> I am a law-abiding citizen and responsible gun owner.
>
> I am saddened by the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut, but I believe that efforts to impose new restrictions on me and other lawful and responsible owners like me are misguided. Did you know that violent crime with firearms has declined since the Federal "assault weapons ban" expired in 2004?
>
> Your focus should be on strengthening mental health care and improving the quality of data supporting NICS checks (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Do NOT pass more gun laws; instead, work to enforce the more than 20,000 gun laws already on the books.
>
> I am your constituent and I vote. Please represent me.
>
> Sincerely,
>

Emailed Corker, Alexander, and Duncan and only received the usual BS from Corker, a limp-wristed response from Alexander and nothing from Duncan. I guess elected representatives don't actually need to represent. Neither of the responses I received committed in any way to any specific stance on this issue. Disgusting fence riders.