Handloading popularity

Guest James308

Guest James308

When I was younger and enjoyed skydiving, my cohorts and I had a few discussions concerning the popularity of the sport. Many of my friends said they hoped skydiving would remain an obscure sport and attract littile attention. I think they had the impression lawmakers would leave them alone to pursue the sport as they best saw fit. Others I knew hoped it would increase in popularity leading to greater competition in manufacturer's bringing them a better selection of goods at lower prices. Another example is more media exposure; we saw more mainsteam acceptance such as X-Games showing skydiving. I was in the 'lets keep the sport obscure' camp.

Now on to handloading. The more that handloading becomes a normalized activity, the more we are likely to be watched and subsequently legislated. What I mean is proposals to limit primer/powder 'safe storage', taxes on projectiles and all other components, laws on shipping and outright bans.

I cannot play in my shooting sports unless I can afford the ammunition. Other's will soon realize they can only play if they roll their own ammo as well. Handloading is bound to become more popular, at least in the near future.

Comments?

I was thinking of just this while i was driving home from work today.

If the SeNUTors and Legislators only new that handloading even existed, I would think they would be attacking it like (insert Rosanne Barr and Chinese buffet joke here).  They would comment how easy it is to buy gun powder and primers; they don't even ask you if it's for a "handgun or rifle"!

Edited by vujade

I'm wondering, how many handloaders are there?  There is data that about 1 in 4 Americans is a gunowner (that may be old news).  How many handloaders are there in every gun owner? 

I assume our numbers are pretty small (but yet all the primers are selling out!) but I'd like to know some numbers out of sheer curiosity.

Not to be a grammar or definition nazi here but we do understand there's a distinct difference in a handloader and a reloader. I was a reloader for a long time before I became a handloader. Lots of people follow a recipe and stuff used brass so they can bang away. A handloader on the other hand is an anally retentive, obsessive compulsive, relentless person who is never satisfied with what he produces. There's always something I could do to make them better if only I could discover its secret. It's a never ending burden that we take on with pride.
  • Like 1

then I'm a handloader.  My friends keep telling me I'm wasting my progressive press because I weigh each charge and always doing a load test. =)

I guess that's another question to add:

Of the x amount of gunowners, how many are reloaders, of those reloaders, how many are handloaders?

It's been getting more popular. I still think it will wind up being a real small percentage of gun owners. It does take time and money.

...and patience! (which most folks don't have.)  Most of my gun buddies who are reloaders think I'm wasting my time when "I could be pumping out 500 rounds an hour!" 

I agree with the comment; it's my therapy as well.

Not to be a grammar or definition nazi here but we do understand there's a distinct difference in a handloader and a reloader. I was a reloader for a long time before I became a handloader.
Lots of people follow a recipe and stuff used brass so they can bang away.
A handloader on the other hand is an anally retentive, obsessive compulsive, relentless person who is never satisfied with what he produces. There's always something I could do to make them better if only I could discover its secret. It's a never ending burden that we take on with pride.

I knew there is a reason handloading is so appealing to me ;)
Guest Frightful1

I RELOAD .25/.380/9mm/38spl/.357mag/.40 and .45. for range use.   I HANDLOAD .223 and 30-30.  The handguns are for fun, the rifles for food.  My EDC loads are purchased ammo for legal eagle reasons.

Guest sam37015

I cannot tell you the number of people who, just this weekend, stopped by our booth at the Nashville Gun Show to ask what it takes to get started....... Many of these people made a purchase and they do not even own a press yet.  I think that the number of reloaders/handloaders is going to grow this year.... ALOT.