Ankle Carry.....

I'm not a big fan of it.  I will use an ankle holster when i am wearing thin dress slacks and cannot pocket carry my handgun.  It is slow to get to but hides a handgun great and extremely hard for someone else to notice.  This time of year, even if i wear thin dress slacks, i generally put my handgun in my coat pocket.  That hides well and is a lot faster to get to than on the ankle. 

I've tried both a Ruger LCP and a Kahr PM9 and I'll second what razorback2003 said. I'll do it when I have to, but it's much slower to access than IWB or OWB. You'll also need loose legged pants like thin dress slacks or bootcut jeans. If you wear 'em thug style, you could keep an 870 wingmaster in there.

I have done it, but unless your sitting down or riding in a car I think the pocket is a much better place to carry. If it's a BUG it's ok but the ankle for a primary kind of makes my neck hairs stand up. A LCP is almost too small and a baby Glock is almost too big. A JFrame airweight is about perfect in a Galco or similar.

I switch between a G26 and A PM9 in ankle holsters as a backup.

The G26 is a little heavy but is great because I carry a G19 IWB and only need 1 extra G19 mag for either.

The PM9 is so comfortable I forget I have it.

They are slow to draw from compared to IWB but practice helps and if that were my only choice to carry I would.

Guest capt usa

I wear dress pants daily at work and sit all day, everything I've pocket carried has printed. I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 everyday and it feels better than going unarmed.

Edited by capt usa
When I was in law enforcement, I typically carried my S&W 642 in an Uncle Mike's nylon ankle holster. I tried a couple of other more expensive options, but the cheap route worked best for wearing over my tall duty boots. When I wasn't wearing boots, I wore it in a leather ankle rig made by Gould and Goodrich (I think) that was very similar to the Galco Ankle Glove. Most of the time now, I carry in a pocket holster or belt holster because it's easier to access.

I carry a Walther PPS 9mm in a Fobus ankle holster, and it works out well.  I sit all day so it is the best compromise for me.  The trick is wearing a pair of high socks that are not quitters.  They must stay up and tight are the rig drops.  I like the nike fitted black dri-fit socks for this.  They are thin and stay up very well without causing my legs to sweat, and they help the holster to stay in place without having to torgue it too tightly.

I generally only ankle carry when it's that or not carry, at all.  I tried a small revolver in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster and it wasn't comfortable, wouldn't stay put, etc.  For me, the best ankle carry is my P3AT in a velcro closed, elastic rig I got at one of the gun shows at Chilhowee Park - think something like a 'belly band' but sized for the lower leg/ankle.

Speaking of belly bands:

My work is 'work casual' (I wear mostly polo type shirts and Docker type pants) and I can't carry at work, anyway (not just employer rules but, because I work at a private college, state law.)  Therefore, I don't find myself needing to carry in thin dress slacks, etc. all that often.  Now, I can't stand true IWB carry but on those occasions when I need to wear thin, dress slacks I have found that I can comfortably carry the P3AT in a belly band worn low so that the grips sit just above my waistline.  Worn that way, I can tuck my shirt in and the little pistol just plain disappears.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I generally carry my baby backup (last resort weapon-- a .22WMR NAA Black Widow) in a clip-boot holster. Not exactly an ankle holster as it clips inside my boot top, but the inconvenience is the same-- I'd never put my primary firearm there unless I had no other choice. Even so, I'm so used to it that I sometimes forget that I have it... I have to double check myself whenever I go to the Post Office so that I don't accidentally carry it in.

for about 25 years i ankle carry a model 36 as my bug on the job.  then something happen to me and the last 10 plus years i have not been able to wear a ankle holster for not more than 30 minutes before it drives me nuts.  i have and used only high dollar named brand ankle holsters.  ankle carry is not a bad way to carry.  if you work at it you can get your gun easy with ankle carry.  just have to have the right pants and holster to make it work.