My not so black 300BLK

gunrunner32

I've been putting this AR together over the last few months...well before the Obama scare so I payed retail or below for everything, just been lazy about assembling it in it's current configuration. Some may have seen it when it was for sale with an LMT upper and lower, it's changed a bit since then.

Here is what's in/on it:

Sun Devil Lower

DPMS parts kit

MOE Riflestock

Magpul trigger guard

Rifle buffer

Noveske VLTOR MUR-1A upper

BCM medium charging handle

WMD Nickel Boron BCG

Troy 15" alpha rail

CMMG 16" barrel

AAC Brake Out

Magpul AFG

Magpul flip-up sights

Magpul MOE+ grip

Daniel Defense off-set rail

Bushnell TRS-25

Burris PEPR QD rings

Bushnell Legend Ultra-HD 4.5-14x44 scope

I went a little nuts with my vinyl cutter and cerakote. I did an "irregular grid" pattern with some ATACS inspired blobs to achieve this mess. Let me know what you think, enjoy.

image_zps328d5501.jpeg300BLK1_zps47ddf15f.jpg

I think you need a longer and bigger sun shade on your scope  :drool: ... just kidding looks incredible!

All my other sunshades are for 40mm scopes...if I get another 44mm one I'll screw it into this one.

The scope will be changing color after I get some coyote hunting in. I'd like something other than my 300BLK Handi Rifle...that and it's boring old black.

It's designed to be a quick attach for AAC Supressor

This is correct, although I have a Thunderbeast P30-1 direct thread suppressor on order. I'll hopefully get the paperwork in the next couple weeks. Decided to go direct thread because I can have most of my rifles threaded for a 5/8x24, if not I'll swap the barrel for one I can, that and AAC loves their stuff so much they price it so only the crazys will buy one of their products...like me.

I like it as well.  If I didn't, I wouldn't reply at all.  I am getting ready to build an AR varmint rifle and would like to put a camo job on it.  That looks very nice.  I'd like to see a tutorial on how you did that pattern. ;)

Well for a tutorial, I didn't take any during pictures. For the pattern itself, it was created by using a couple images I found on the internet. The "veining" was found by searching for an irregular pattern, I can't find the original image again, but there are several that would work. Next for the splotches I dumbed down the ATACS pattern to 5 colors in a program called VectorMagic. I measured the parts for the veining to be coated and cut the vinyl to wrap the pieces. The splotches were just cut out of full sheets of vinyl to make sure I had enough pattern for coverage.

With the vinyl cut, I did a base of Magpul FDE faded with Desert Sand, then overlayed the veining with transfer tape as well as taping off the rails to keep them a single layer fade.. Next layer was Patriot Brown faded with Coyote Tan, I wanted a good contrast between the colors of each layer. I then flashed the cerakote, pulled all the veining and layed the slotchy pattern. I took OD Green, Forest Green and Desert Verde and faded them together. All this work is done with a HVLP spray gun.

From start to finish it took 2 hours for disassembly and prep work, 14 hours of spraying, vinyl laying/removal, baking and another 20 minutes to reassemble. All prep work was done on a Saturday, spraying was done all in 1 day (Sunday) and reassembly happened after work on a Monday. Sunday was a very long, cold and tiring day.

Now I'm taking on the fun task of load development, with a shortage of powders and primers out there, this probably won't be shooting good for another month or so.

-- BrokeEnthusiast-- This rifle used to have a Nikon P223 on it, the Magpul BUIS worked just fine under it, I went to the Bushnell since I was getting a good deal on it. The Bushnell TRS-25 is on a Daniel Defense offset rail. **For the Nikon scope that used to be on this rifle I had it in the Burris PEPR mount, now it sits on my 300BLK Handi Rifle in a set of Burris high mounts.

Edited by gunrunner32
  • Like 1