Kahr guns?

patbax2

I would like to hear some opinions on kahr guns. I took my girlfriend out looking at guns today and she really liked the kahr cw9. I haven't heard much about them and like to do a little research first.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first carry gun was a Kahr K40. Nice gun.

They have been reliable well made guns. I have sold a number of them and never had complaints back.

The advantage is that the distance from backstrap to trigger is shorter than on almost any other gun, making them good choices for small-handed shooters.

I bought a CW9 from The Rabbi +1 BTW I seem to like it pretty well. It is nice & light feels good it the hand (with the Hogue grip).

If you use the slide release with hollow point ammo it loads perfect, if you put a mag in & pull the slide back then release it slow it will not load it.

Guest TNDixieGirl

I carry the CW9. If she chooses that one, she'll be happy. It has eaten anything I've fed it without a hitch. Definitely invest the $9 or $10 for the Hogue grip cover. Makes it much more comfortable to shoot.

Guest rdl65

I have a Kahr P9 that I carry. Of all the guns that I have carried it's my favorite. Had one feeding problem during break in period. Hasn't done it since, it has been 100% reliable.

Guest db99wj

Friend of mine has one, Canyn on here, break in period is tough, but once you get through it, they seem to work great.

IMO, In regards to pulling the slide back to chamber a round and slowly letting it go forward, don't do that. All guns are designed for them to open and slam shut. No reason to do it slow. Grab it, pull it and let it go. Again, this is my opinion.

Guest Vincent

I have a 2 digit serial number (00XX) :pall steel E-9 that I bought new when they first came out. TOTALLY reliable. Never skips a beat. This is my everyday home defense gun. I REALLY like this pistol and it will NEVER be sold.

Did I say I like it?

Bad news? It is very heavy for it's size. Too heavy for me to carry except in winter. That weight becomes a plus once the shooting starts.;)

Well I am a little late to the party but will throw my .02 cents. I love kahrs. I have owned three different models. They all have been very reliable and accurate.

They seem to just fit my hand right. Good reliable guns.

Stellar_PM9_mac.jpg

I have Kahr PM9.

Love it.

Haven't even finished the suggested 200 round break in, have shot about 120 through it...the only "failure" I've had was ONE time the slide didn't fully close between rounds, but I ascribe this to either limp wristing or fact that it was in the first 30 rounds or so. Gun is very tight from the factory.

As described in the manual, best to clean/lube the gun before ever firing first time, as factory lube might have aged and gotten sticky.

Remington UMC, Winchester White Box, Remington JHP all feed fine. Just got some Hyda Shok which will test soon.

The present generation of the PM's seem to have worked out the bugs I read from earlier posts/models.

One thing to emphasize though, is to feed that first round in by using the slide stop/release. Apparently, as they get looser, you can manually pull slide for first round to chamber, but this method is not 100% guaranteed to work.

If you want full mag capacity, chamber first round from mag with slide stop, then remove mag and replace the round and replace mag.

I'm also very impressed with the accuracy. I don't claim to be much of a marksman all in all, but the "dot the I" sights are easy to quickly line up. I first fired this thing at an outdoor range, and 15 or so yds was closest they let you shoot there. Hand held, all shots were in upper torso, and using elbow on bench, all shots were pretty much "heart" shots.

The recoil is, surprisingly, really not much of an issue.

Pricey piece, but I had done a lot of research on the "perfect" CCW weapon. And for me, this is it. Good blend of caliber/concealment. I wanted a pocket gun, and this is about as large a one as is expedient.

Desantis Nemesis is good option for this, but after lots of research, I spent $50 and got a Kydex jobbie from StellarRigs.com, that is exactly the same size as the Nemesis, and even holds spare (6 shot) mag. I love it. When I get a round tuit, I'll do better photos and a review on site here.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest rockytop

Good report OhShoot.

I have the CW9 and the PM9. I am a Sig-aholic, but since they are too hard-headed to produce and sell a sub-compact, I carry a PM9 every day. They are great. Conceal really well. Good accuracy for such a small piece-. Excellent trigger (after break-in). I have the following holsters: Don Hume-Lea.- IWB, Custom built Hedley (Lea. -front pocket), Desantis Nemisis (rubbery cloth -front pocket). They are all good rigs.

Guest NotDylan

I'd really like to pick up a K9 for carry but they seem to be hard to come by now days. Does Kahr still produce their steel framed pistols?

Edited by NotDylan
I'd really like to pick up a K9 for carry but they seem to be hard to come by now days. Does Kahr still produce their steel framed pistols?

Sure.

But unless you see one laying around used, you may well have to order it, as the polymer frame models are all the rage (and for good reason).

OS

I thought seriously about buying one until I was at a level 1 handgun class & the guy to the left of me had one & about 10 or so rounds into the class the extractor decided that it didn't want to be attached to the gun anymore - the instructor happened to have the exact same model in his truck & let the guy borrow it - he finished the rest of the class without a hitch but it definitely made me think about other options.