Lone Wolf Barrel in 9mm for my Glock 17

I just wanted to give a shout out and Thanks to Caster. :up:

I picked up a [url=http://www.midwayusa.com/product/335763/lone-wolf-barrel-glock-17-9mm-luger-1-in-16-twist-449-stainless-steel]Lone Wolf barrel [/url]for my Glock 17 from Midway.usa last week. It's probably the $106.00 I've spent in a long time.

I pondered spending a bit more and having a barrel fitted...I'm glad I took the chance.

At the same time I ordered and received 1000 rds of lead 147 gr bullets (flat point bevel base) from [url=http://www.bslbullet.com/147-grain-flat-point-bevel-base-p-4.html] BSL Bullet Works[/url].

I also picked up some 147 gr Berry’s plated bullets to try them out.

I loaded up some 147 gr.er’s , lead and plated, with 3.8 grains and 4.0 grains of Unique.

The barrel just dropped right in. I hand cycled about 30 different rounds, loaded up my gear bag and hit the range today.

The functioning was flawless. I ran the above reloads, along with 124 gr. RN and flat points, Wolf 9mm, WWB 9mm, Blazer 9mm, and Black Hills 124 gr +p HP (my carry ammo). All in all I went through about 200 rounds without issue.

Before I would trust my life to this combo (Lone Wolf barrel and my G17), I want to put another 500-600 rounds through it. That shouldn’t take long as I plan to shoot it at the upcoming IDPA and USPSA Matches at ORSA.

Btw…I found my new favorite handload! 147 gr BSL lead FP over 3.8 grs of Unique. Very soft shooting and groups in little clusters at 7-10 yards or shooting “target dots” at 4 yds.

My next project will be “casting my own” Thanks to the info and help I’ve received here.

• Like 1

Can you elaborate a little on why it is needed?

Allows the use of lead bewlitts.  Lone Wolf barrels have traditional rifling whereas the Glock OEM barrel is of polygonal rifling.  Polygonal barrels are prone to rapid lead fouling, dangerous fouling, reducing bore diameter and thus increasing pressures.

Polygonal barrels are prone to rapid lead fouling, dangerous fouling, reducing bore diameter and thus increasing pressures.

Can you break it down deeper, why does polygonal shapes do this?  Also, is there benefit that Glock chose polygonal barrels.

Can you break it down deeper, why does polygonal shapes do this?  Also, is there benefit that Glock chose polygonal barrels.

So as not to try and reinvent the wheel, here's a link to a really good explanation of Polygonal vs Conventional Rifling: [url=http://www.humanevents.com/2010/06/08/barrels-and-bullets-conventional-versus-polygonal-rifling/] LINK[/url].

And Yes, Garufa hit the nail on the head. Lead reloads.

3000 rnds of lead bullets and I've saved enough to cover the cost of the barrel.

As I mentioned above, the barrel handles the jacketed round just fine.

There have been too many cases of catastrophic failures using lead bullets in Glocks to safely go that route. That's why I checked with a pro (Caster) before I went to this combo.

I've also recently acquired access to free lead...so casting is definitely my next step.

I hope the link is beneficial for you.

• Like 1

Maybe I asked the question wrong. What type of bullet material is the Glock OEM barrel designed for?

Also is there a difference in the material used to make say a Federal 115 gr FMJ and the material used to make reloads.

If I am shooting Walmart Federal 115gr FMJ should I be using a Long Wolf Barrel?

Also thank you for the help so far. :wave:

So as not to try and reinvent the wheel, here's a link to a really good explanation of Polygonal vs Conventional Rifling: LINK.

And Yes, Garufa hit the nail on the head. Lead reloads.

3000 rnds of lead bullets and I've saved enough to cover the cost of the barrel.

As I mentioned above, the barrel handles the jacketed round just fine.

There have been too many cases of catastrophic failures using lead bullets in Glocks to safely go that route. That's why I checked with a pro (Caster) before I went to this combo.

I've also recently acquired access to free lead...so casting is definitely my next step.

I hope the link is beneficial for you.

Thank you for the link. It answered my questions.

Another question. What type of bullet is the Glock OEM barrel designed for?

anything except cast lead.  some do shoot cast lead in the factory barrel, but glock says don't.  if you shoot cast lead in any glock it is best to get a after market barrel. if you shoot any reloads, fmj/cast lead in any glock 40 cal get a after market barrel.  glock 40 cal barrels do not give full case support.  there are several good brands to look at.  price side the lw barrel are on the lower end.  i have several of them along with higher end barrels.  the only different i can tell between lw, efk fire dragon,  kkm,  and others is the price.

Considering how bleak finding components currently is.......this morning I ordered a 17 barrel from LoneWolf and 3k worth of lead from Mid Atlantic  http://store.midatlanticbullets.com/ . I have plenty of Unique and primers but I'm running low on bullets and love shooting to much to stop until the ammo supplies replenish. So I took the lead plunge.

Considering how bleak finding components currently is.......this morning I ordered a 17 barrel from LoneWolf and 3k worth of lead from Mid Atlantic  http://store.midatlanticbullets.com/ . I have plenty of Unique and primers but I'm running low on bullets and love shooting to much to stop until the ammo supplies replenish. So I took the lead plunge.

Bob from Mid Atlantic called me to let me know he's currently got a 20 day lead time on shipments. :stunned: That's what I get for procrastinating before placing the order. A week and a half ago he was on a 11 day delay.

That's still waaaaay better than some other places and knowing that it's for sure coming I can live with.

Edited by Mike P
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting read, well, knew most of it, but never thought about bullet weight vs. poa though.  Thanks a lot Prag! :drama: kidding.  Probably doesn't matter at all for the down zero section at action pistol ranges, wonder when you would really start to notice?  I've always used 147's for IDPA/USPSA and never gave it much thought.  Just curious...

Interesting read, well, knew most of it, but never thought about bullet weight vs. poa though.  Thanks a lot Prag! :drama: kidding.  Probably doesn't matter at all for the down zero section at action pistol ranges, wonder when you would really start to notice?  I've always used 147's for IDPA/USPSA and never gave it much thought.  Just curious...

LOL Buddy. I agree that at the distances we shoot in IDPA, IPSC/USPSA and such it is negligible.

POA vs POI vs fixed sights becomes more pronounced at greater distances, or when very precise shots are called for.

IIRC .38 spl and .357 mag 4"-6" barreled fixed sighted revolvers were set at 25 yards for 158 gr bullets, 45 acp Autoloaders with 230 gr bullets, .44spl revolvers for 240 gr bullets, and 9mm autoloaders for 115 gr bullets.

The lighter weight self defense rounds really started with [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Jurras] Lee Jurras and Super Vel[/url]. At least as far as I can remember. That and the [url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8006608] Geco BAT round[/url].

We’ve come a long ways since those days…

The sight regulation took into account that a heavier bullet causes a greater muzzle rise than a lighter bullet before exiting the barrel…hence a lower point of impact for lighter bullets.

It was a bit more noticeable back in the days of PPC with 50 yards handgun shooting, or to folks that shoot long distance handgun silhouette. Precision distance rifle shooters certainly take it into consideration.

Of course you’re right; it really isn’t applicable to the majority of Action Pistol venues. I'm just happy when my reloads function and I'm lucky enough to hit the targets... :cool:

Guest Mike P

Congrats Mike P. Looks like you are GTG. :up:

Let us know about the loads you work up. Enjoy.

I haven't chrono'd them yet but started with the 125gr leads, 4.8gr of Unique with a 1.125 OAL. Worked great, accuracy was good and I had very minimal leading of the Lone Wolf barrel after 400 rounds. I will have chrony results after this weekend.