My "I Want An AR Thread"

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm now about 95% complete. I still need to get some flip-up front/rear sights and some ladder-style rail covers.

I have to give another big THANKS to Joe at Hero Gear. He and Dan went way above and beyond the call of duty for me. Without going into details, they really did a few things that they didn't have to. For that I am thankful. It's been a great help. Top notch customer service!

Here are some crappy pictures of the very-close-to-final product looks like.

0000302an6.jpg

0000301rx3.jpg

0000303db5.jpg

0000304sx5.jpg

Congrats dude!!! You beat me to it, maybe if I can quit buying all these others I could have mine done to. Looks nice.

Thanks! I know what you mean. I had to force myself to stay away from everything else until I got it done. It's still going to be a while before I can make any other big purchases. I guess I need to make it to the next TGO meet.

Now that I'm finished enough to shoot this thing, I have some ammo questions.

Casing options...Really matter if I'm not reloading? I don't plan on reloading for s while, and I'm not sure how much I could get for the brass to someone who does reload.

Primer options...Really matter?

Brands...Just looking for something to plink around with. I noticed that Wolf has some of the cheapest. Any suggestions? I've seen some people selling a lot of American Eagle. Any good?

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest tnmale46
Now that I'm finished enough to shoot this thing, I have some ammo questions.

Casing options...Really matter if I'm not reloading? I don't plan on reloading for s while, and I'm not sure how much I could get for the brass to someone who does reload.

Primer options...Really matter?

Brands...Just looking for something to plink around with. I noticed that Wolf has some of the cheapest. Any suggestions? I've seen some people selling a lot of American Eagle. Any good?

ive had no problems with wolf

Thanks for the input, guys.

You know, I spent several hundred over my original budget while building this AR, and never once can I remember being upset over the cost of any given part(s)--Afterall, you gotta pay if you wanna play. Well, that has now changed.

I've been searching around for some ladder type rail covers, and I am beyond shocked at how much this stuff is selling for:mad:. Not only that, but what moron decided it would not be a good idea to sell the stuff in a length that's not long enough to cover an entire rail:mad:?

You can by it in a few different lengths, but none over about 6 or 6 1/2 inches:mad:. Like that's gonna work great for my rails that are closer to 9 inches:mad:. Yes, I know I can (and will have to) cut some to fit.

Obviously they didn't forget to add the uber-tacticool tax to this stuff. Most places are selling this stuff for $10-$13+ for ONE 6 inch strip. That's a rip-off:mad:. You should be able to buy a 10 FOOT strip for that much, or cheaper. And again, what's up with the length limit?

Ok, now that I'm done ranting about that, I was able to find and order some SureFire Z70 Rail Ladders at http://www.gandrtactical.com . They have 3 strips for $15. I actually like the looks of these better than some of the other brands. I figured a couple packages should to the trick.

OK, I'm all better now.

Carry on.:confused:

I decided to go with the SUREFIRE ladder-type rail covers. The UPS guy just delivered them.

I liked the SUREFIRE covers better than the other brands offered. First of all, they have slight indentions which allow your fingers to grip them a little better. On top of that, they were at least half the price of all other brands.

They fit perfectly.

0000312ez1.jpg

0000313uu8.jpg

sweet

and I own page 35!!!

Thanks!

You're still going to be the first person I call when I'm ready to shoot.

The "significant other" has been very understanding about the money spent on this project, so I'm trying not to push it to the limit. I have this beautiful rifle, but no ammo as of yet. When things settle down a bit, I plan on finding a good deal on some.

• Administrator

I have Magpul ladder covers on my LaRue rail but will probably be ordering some Magpul XTR covers to use on at least the sides and bottom. The ladder covers really don't do much for your hands as the barrel and gas tube get hotter.

Of course I'm also running a Tango Down stubby fore grip and will likely wear gloves when I shoot the SBR so heat shouldn't be that much of a problem for me... but your experience may vary.

All the cool kids wear gloves when they shoot SBRs. :stir:

Run by Academy or Reloaders Bench, Hero Gear, where ever your route takes you and buy about 5 or 10 boxes of Wolf and shoot that thang!

Heck, I'll throw in 5 boxes of Wolf if you'll drag it up here and let me dump a mag or two through it.

Thank you very much for the graciousness, but I couldn't accept such an offer. Heck, I got to think about what it must have costed you to let me shoot your rifles. You've been kind enough.

I have Magpul ladder covers on my LaRue rail but will probably be ordering some Magpul XTR covers to use on at least the sides and bottom. The ladder covers really don't do much for your hands as the barrel and gas tube get hotter.

Of course I'm also running a Tango Down stubby fore grip and will likely wear gloves when I shoot the SBR so heat shouldn't be that much of a problem for me... but your experience may vary.

All the cool kids wear gloves when they shoot SBRs. :stir:

I didn't really factor in the heat when deciding to go with the ladder covers. I just wanted something to smooth out the sharp edges of the aggressive style rails on this forearm.

If heat is going to be an issue for me, I'll deal with that later. I've changed my mind with everything else during this build, so I wouldn't be surprised if I decide to go another route with this as well.

All the cool kids wear gloves when they shoot SBRs. :cop:

Thats because the cool kids get in actual firefights :stir:

**and to expand on that; cool kids don't wear gloves in combat because their hands get hot. They wear gloves because they are in an austere and hostile environment and extra protection from the hazards of beating hadji down is a plus.

I would say that heat should not be a problem when shooting your civilian rifle at a civilian range, paying for your ammo with civilian dollars.

(in other words; don't sweat it man...if you can afford to expend enough ammo over a sustained period time which results in your upper getting so hot that you need gloves or high speed rail covers, then you can certainly afford to buy said gloves or rail covers...)

So lets be honest with ourselves here; buy whatever rail covers look cool, and make you and your wallet happy.

Guest Verbal Kint
Yea, I don't think I'll be doing any Youtube type shooting anytime soon. I'm not even close to being that tacticool, yet. :cool:

What? You mean you can't fumble mags around like an epileptic monkey on crack? I have faith in you. :D