My "I Want An AR Thread"

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
i cant figure out what the symbols mean on the lower for the selector switch

It's patterned after the HK SMG selector switch. The white "bullet" with the X through it is safe. The red single bullet is single fire. The red double bullet is burst or auto. Of course since these are all post-NFA builds, the third option is just there for eye candy.

Guest Verbal Kint

Spike's Tactical Stripped Lower, Courtesy of TPS -TNRobocop

Ace Skeleton Stock ARFX

Awesome! Good start on the AR journey. :D

Now snag a good LPK kit like RRA, LMT, etc... and, within 15-20 mins, you'll be halfway there. :D

Side Note: The postman was good to me this week and dropped off the remaining items I had due in... so all I'm lacking now are the Troy BUIS and Larue Tactical 9" rail. I'll order those on Monday, when I get paid. Receivers went out the day before yesterday, as I procrastinated a few days, to Spike's Tactical for engraving. $57 for two receivers and return shipping, and they're placing my wordage above the right FCG as I asked. They said I will have it back in my hands within 2 weeks (stated it would probably be before then, but they go with the 14 day mark to be sure). Needless to say, I'll be assembling the upper receiver as soon as I get the rail and BUIS here at the house, and then drooling over it in sheer anticipation until the day comes that I can bring the lower back into the house and assemble them both. :mad:

Mainly just waiting to mail the BATFE paperwork out on Monday (yet more procrastination on my part) along with the finished Trust, and play the waiting game. It appears, from several individuals experience lately, that they are returning them right at the 61-62 day mark.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Awesome! Good start on the AR journey. :D

Now snag a good LPK kit like RRA, LMT, etc... and, within 15-20 mins, you'll be halfway there. :D

Side Note: The postman was good to me this week and dropped off the remaining items I had due in... so all I'm lacking now are the Troy BUIS and Larue Tactical 9" rail. I'll order those on Monday, when I get paid. Receivers went out the day before yesterday, as I procrastinated a few days, to Spike's Tactical for engraving. $57 for two receivers and return shipping, and they're placing my wordage above the right FCG as I asked. They said I will have it back in my hands within 2 weeks (stated it would probably be before then, but they go with the 14 day mark to be sure). Needless to say, I'll be assembling the upper receiver as soon as I get the rail and BUIS here at the house, and then drooling over it in sheer anticipation until the day comes that I can bring the lower back into the house and assemble them both. :mad:

Mainly just waiting to mail the BATFE paperwork out on Monday (yet more procrastination on my part) along with the finished Trust, and play the waiting game. It appears, from several individuals experience lately, that they are returning them right at the 61-62 day mark.

Thank you. I'm excited.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the RRA NM 2 stage trigger.

What did you have Spike's engrave for you?

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest Verbal Kint
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the RRA NM 2 stage trigger.

Cool... should work really well for you. I opted for the normal (single stage trigger) LPK when I ordered my parts. Using high-end components, but staying with the KISS idea with the build. Not going to use kid gloves with this gun, as I'll use it in training classes and competitions whenever I can attend them... so if it gets dropped or tossed on the ground, buried in the dirt/sand/mud, or just treated like a $2 lady of the night (read: cheap whore) I won't have to worry about it. :mad:

What did you have Spike's engrave for you?

The required BATFE engraving for the SBR (since it will be a 10.5" build). I'm required (as I'm the one building it) to put my First Name, Last Name, City, State on it. Since I'm going the Legal Trust route, and it will be registered to that, I'm having them engrave:

YANCY NFA TRUST

PADUCAH, KENTUCKY

As I mentioned before, it will be on the right-hand side above the FCG (Fire Control Group markings). Basically mirroring the Spike's Tactical engravings, on the other side of the receiver. Didn't want them engraved on the magwell as they have to be readily viewable and I plan on using a BlueForce Redi-Mag attached to the lower so that was the best spot for my needs, and I thought it looked the best. However, they will engrave whatever you need wherever you want it (as long as they can fit it there).

Edited by Verbal Kint
Cool... should work really well for you. I opted for the normal (single stage trigger) LPK when I ordered my parts. Using high-end components, but staying with the KISS idea with the build. Not going to use kid gloves with this gun, as I'll use it in training classes and competitions whenever I can attend them... so if it gets dropped or tossed on the ground, buried in the dirt/sand/mud, or just treated like a $2 lady of the night (read: cheap whore) I won't have to worry about it. :mad:

The required BATFE engraving for the SBR (since it will be a 10.5" build). I'm required (as I'm the one building it) to put my First Name, Last Name, City, State on it. Since I'm going the Legal Trust route, and it will be registered to that, I'm having them engrave:

YANCY NFA TRUST

PADUCAH, KENTUCKY

As I mentioned before, it will be on the right-hand side above the FCG (Fire Control Group markings). Basically mirroring the Spike's Tactical engravings, on the other side of the receiver.

Are there any advantages to going the Legal Trust route?

Guest Verbal Kint
Are there any advantages to going the Legal Trust route?

Main advantages:

1. No fingerprints or photo required, when submitting the BATFE paperwork.

2. No signature from your chief LEO required, when submitting the BATFE papework.

3. You can list however many trustees you want, and all will have ready access to the registered firearm, whether you are there or not. Normally, you (the individually registered owner) have to keep sole possession of said rifle and always be present whenever the rifle is used.

4. Ability to list heirs to the rifle (my kids, in this case once myself and wife -- the primary trustees -- pass on) without having them required to go through the red tape process of having to pay the tax stamp and register the weapon to them. Automatically defaults to them.

I've also heard it shaves off a considerable amount of time, in some cases, by not having to submit (and them verify) your prints and photo. Mainly did the Trust route to avoid the red-tape crap, and so my wife can use the rifle whenever she wants without being required to have me there holding her hand... plus the rifle will default to my children should anything happen to us (and go to my brother for holding until they are of legal age). The Trust route has a lot of advantages and opportunities to spell out specific actions to be taken.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Main advantages:

1. No fingerprints or photo required, when submitting the BATFE paperwork.

2. No signature from your chief LEO required, when submitting the BATFE papework.

3. You can list however many trustees you want, and all will have ready access to the registered firearm, whether you are there or not. Normally, you (the individually registered owner) have to keep sole possession of said rifle and always be present whenever the rifle is used.

4. Ability to list heirs to the rifle (my kids, in this case once myself and wife -- the primary trustees -- pass on) without having them required to go through the red tape process of having to pay the tax stamp and register the weapon to them. Automatically defaults to them.

I've also heard it shaves off a considerable amount of time, in some cases, by not having to submit (and them verify) your prints and photo. Mainly did the Trust route to avoid the red-tape crap, and so my wife can use the rifle whenever she wants without being required to have me there holding her hand... plus the rifle will default to my children should anything happen to us (and go to my brother for holding until they are of legal age). The Trust route has a lot of advantages and opportunities to spell out specific actions to be taken.

That is very good information to know. I will definitely keep that in mind, because there is no doubt I'll be building an SBR in the future.

Guest price g
When ordering from RRA (or anyone), does the LPK come seperate from the 2 stage trigger group? Or, would I have to order the LPK, then order the 2 stage trigger group?

yes to 2

Guest Verbal Kint
Does the LPK come with a single stage trigger, or no trigger? Sorry, but I'm confused.

Normal package will include the standard trigger. So if you go out and order a RRA LPK, you'll get all the springs and components to assemble the lower as well as a standard trigger group.

I've actually seen some sites that sell the LPK with the optional 2 stage trigger, as a set, instead of the standard trigger. And most others just sell the 2 stage by itself, in addition to selling the normal package. You can always buy the normal package and keep the single-stage trigger on hand for when you're 2-stage craps out on you. :confused:

Guest price g

The lower parts kit comes with a stock mil spec trigger. If it were me I would assemble the lower with this trigger first. Sometimes you can get a good feeling trigger in the lpk. If it does not feel acceptable, then buy a good one.

Guest Verbal Kint

Also... if your preference insists on going with the 2-stage... I think you're wise in choosing the RRA 2-stage trigger, but I would contact White Oak Precision and get one of their tuned versions.

(LINK HERE)

They're supposed to be super smooth and all of the "slop" taken out of them. They come highly recommended by all of the 'professional' shooters on the AR sites... who also say to avoid the Geissele Automatic triggers at all costs.

Just an FYI suggestion.

Thanks guys.

I've already placed the order for a RRA LPK, RRA 2 Stage Trigger Group, Ergo "SureGrip" Pistol Grip Kit and RRA Winter Trigger Guard or Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard. Of course I also had to order the Buffer Tube, Buffer and Buffer Spring.

That's just gonna have to do for now. I'll build up from there.

I'm sure I forgot something.

Cool... you're well on your way to a solid build! :)

It better be solid. Hell, I think I could have bought an entire "El Cheapo" model for what I'm gonna have in just the lower section. But when it's done, I'll have exactly what I want. Well, until I actually get it put together, only to realize I want something else.:confused:

Guest Verbal Kint
It better be solid. Hell, I think I could have bought an entire "El Cheapo" model for what I'm gonna have in just the lower section. But when it's done, I'll have exactly what I want. Well, until I actually get it put together, only to realize I want something else.:D

Well... if it makes you feel any better, my build is going to come in right under $2,500, when I order the last of the parts on Monday. And that's just with BUIS, and no optics. The planned optics/mounts/light are going to run another $1,700 after that. And none of that factors in the other $200 for the SBR tax stamp. :confused:

But this way, we each know exactly what is going into our rifles and the quality of said parts... and it's custom tailored to our likes. That is worth the extra price to me. :)

P.S. - I'll likely be running with the BUIS, and no optics, for awhile. :)

Well... if it makes you feel any better, my build is going to come in right under $2,500, when I order the last of the parts on Monday. And that's just with BUIS, and no optics. The planned optics/mounts/light are going to run another $1,700 after that. And none of that factors in the other $200 for the SBR tax stamp. :confused:

But this way, we each know exactly what is going into our rifles and the quality of said parts... and it's custom tailored to our likes. That is worth the extra price to me. :D

P.S. - I'll likely be running with the BUIS, and no optics, for awhile.

I'm trying to pretend that I won't have to worry about optics. :) As you know, they are crazy expensive. Like you, I'll likely settle with BUIS for quite some time.

I don't think I'll have anywhere near your $2,500 mark, but it's definitely more that I had planned for at the beginning of the build. I can't act surprised, because I had a pretty good idea this is how it would turn out.

In the end, my AR is going to be fairly basic. I still have no plans for all the fancy rails and gadgets hagning off it, but what I will have is a failry good quality rifle. I hope so anyway. It's obvious there will be bigger and better, but for a first build, I'm more than happy so far.

Guest Verbal Kint

Your build is more than adequate for both your or I, to be perfectly honest, and will perform just as well and give you years (lifetime) of reliable service. I'm just splurging as a separation gift to myself for leaving the military (or that's the excuse I just thought up and am sticking with now). :confused:

I currently don't have any rifles of my own, aside from heirlooms I've inherited. So this will fill that void... and I don't see myself building or buying anymore, anytime soon, aside from building up the other registered receiver as a rifle for my wife. That said, I figured I'd play a little and gear this one up.

Optics are expensive, but I'm not really going all that overboard with them. I'll have an Aimpoint CompM4 and a Aimpoint Magnifier... so I can shoot short and swing in the 3x if I need to reach out further. Just two optics, but each is $500-700, with roughly $300 for optic mounts and accessories, and another $250-270 for a light and mount.

As you've said... it all adds up pretty quickly.