My "I Want An AR Thread"

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest price g

negative. post ban rifles for the most part are the same as pre ban where the law allows it. some states still are operating with the clinton ban still in effect

Guest Verbal Kint
Why do I see people talking about cutting off the flash hider? For some reason I thought they were screwed on or held in place by a set type screw.

Most likely cuz they are in Kalifornia or other states that require "banned" config rifles still, and they're wanting to change them out for a different type of break or suppressor? Same if they ordered a replacement barrel... a hider would have to be permanently (re)attached onto it.

In those cases, the hider or brake is pinned on and/or soldered onto the barrel to provide a "permanent" setup.

EDIT: In "free" states, you're barrels will simply have the muzzle device attached under pressure, using a crush/lock washer.

I have to give a very special thanks to Righwinger. There is no way I could possibly thank him enough for the wonderful training and shooting I was able to do today.

Because of his generosity and kindness, I was able to have my first experience shooting an AR15. Not only that, but an added bonus of the ultra-amazing .458 SOCOM. That beast is definitely bad to the bone, and a definite must have in the future. Not likely to be the near future, but one of these days.

It was obvious that my marksmanship is nowhere near what I'd like it to be, but I'm hopeful that will improve once I get a chance to really put some rounds through my future AR. Rightwinger let me know that I had a habit a flinching while I pulled the trigger. Undoubtedly, that played a large part in my lack of accuracy. It's hard to see/feel that type of stuff yourself while your mind is on a dozen other aspects of shooting. I'm also hopeful that will improve as well.

Just by reading his posts, I could tell he has a great wealth of knowledge when it comes to these rifles. After talking with him in person, it really shined through. He was beyond patient with all my question, and didn't try to rush while explaining the inner-working of the rifle. I still have a lot to learn, but much of that will likely come from hands on experience.

Bottom line is, TGO and it's members are extremely lucky to have a guy like Rightwinger around here. I'm greatful to have had the opportunity to soak up some of his vast AR knowledge.

Thanks for everything, Rightwinger.:)

I would highly recommend it !

Only two sources, Rock River Arms and the developer of the round who makes the custom uppers, Marty Ter Weeme in Texas.

If you want it fast....do RRA. If you want it highest quality but can wait 6 months to a year, contact Marty. He uses PacNor barrels so they are top shelve.

• Administrator
I don't know what the guy was talking about when he said the barrel rotated with every shot. No one seems to know anything about it. Maybe someone gave him some bad information, or he possibly misunderstood what they were telling him.

Maybe he has one of these...

A-10_-_46.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with the Chip McCormick triggers? I know they are a bit more expensive, but I kinda like the idea of the trigger parts being self contained.

With many triggers, the 2 stage seems to be a bit more expensive, but I noticed a few sites had the Chip McCormick single stages priced higer than the 2 stage.

Anyone help me out?

from what reading ive done, the CMC trigger is fine for a range gun, where it wont be a BIG problem if it breaks, but not good for a battle rifle. go with the RRA trigger for a battle rifle.

just from some various reading ive done, no experience

Guest tnmale46
Yea. I believe BrandonTN purchased a Del-Ton. Being so new to this, I'm still unsure who had quality products.

i bought a del-ton a few weeks ago i like it alot

from what reading ive done, the CMC trigger is fine for a range gun, where it wont be a BIG problem if it breaks, but not good for a battle rifle. go with the RRA trigger for a battle rifle.

just from some various reading ive done, no experience

As of now, I have almost no intentions of using this AR as any type of "Battle Rifle", but who knows what may happen in the future.

TDR,

I have heard good and bad on the Chip McCormicks. No personal experience with one of those. The worst thing I can think of is its a one all enclosed system so if a part breaks in those the whole thing goes. With a single or two stage, you can break a section and not have to replace it all, just a hammer or sear, etc. I personally have never had a trigger group have an issue.

When the guys are talking battle rifle, you can really substitute "durable". Folks that shoot for precision do just that and don't worry about durable as they are going to replace anything they feel is wearing to maintain their groupings which is what counts for them. For you and me, we want durable. Go to the range, farm, etc and shoot when you want to shoot and not worry that something is going to break on you. That RRA you shot today has over 3k in rounds through it now with a few "fast" rounds of very rapid fire:). I won't burn the barrel out but I am not afraid to dump a magazine through it when I want to.

Oh and by the way, you said you were looking to improve your aim....well you were NOT shabby in anyway today! Like I said I saw a few flinches prior to first shots but you were in the "kill zone" all day. When we looked at that cardboard target you were inside a 20x10 area which was smaller than center mass on a man size target. Not bad with an unfamiliar weapon and holo optic you had never used!

Keep doing your research but don't overthink where your going.

Start settling in on what you know you want, your going to do another upper anyway!:popcorn:

So far, I know without a doubt that I'm going with the Spike's Tactical Lower, Ace Skeleton stock, Rock River 2 Stage Trigger, RRA Winter Trigger Guard, and an ERGO Grip. I guess whatever other lower parts will be RRA as well. Those will not change. Well, unless I happen to see a deal I can't pass up.

Edited by TripleDigitRide