"The Americans" on FX

• 2 weeks later...
I just got caught up on the series last night. Gotta say, I like it pretty good.

It takes really good writing to pull off the whole anti-hero thing. I mean come on, these are deep cover commie spies that have infiltrated our beloved nation. We aren't supposed to be rooting for them...are we?

Is it an AMC/FX thing? They have us loving a drug king pin former HS teacher, illegal gun smuggling, drug running bikers, and don't even get me started on all the crap Boyd Crowder is into.
  • Like 1

I just got caught up on the series last night. Gotta say, I like it pretty good.

It takes really good writing to pull off the whole anti-hero thing. I mean come on, these are deep cover commie spies that have infiltrated our beloved nation. We aren't supposed to be rooting for them...are we?

Is it an AMC/FX thing? They have us loving a drug king pin former HS teacher, illegal gun smuggling, drug running bikers, and don't even get me started on all the crap Boyd Crowder is into.

Completely agree. I enjoy the show.

They have me viewing the FBI counter intelligence as the "bad guys". And nervous that the commies might get caught. Haha, good writing.
Guest 6.8 AR

Good show. It and Justified. They are all I have turned the TV on for since the election.

The Americans really throw curve balls at you. I don't think it makes me root for them or anything like

that, but it does put some perspective on what may have gone on and what was reported on the news,

back then. There is enough cloak and dagger in it to keep me very interested, plus the cast is perfect.

Interesting about the continuing dilemma between the commie household and the possibility of defecting

and raising their kids, one way or another, don't you think? :D

The cast is superb. The writing is great. FX is really at the top of the heap right now IMO.

Right now I am torn between the cold ruthlessness of Elizabeth or the smooth calculation of Stan for a favorite character. That Stan had them pegged the first time he met them. That is good.

I don't think it is so much as rooting for the enemy (it is) as it is hoping that they will turn. But you are right, the last episode, over the codes, I was worried they were going to get caught, at the upper level, I knew Elizabeth and Philip were fine, it was the Resident and his contact.

Then there is Nina. I like Nina, but she is not long for the show. I am hoping Stan doesn't do something stupid to save her.

The cast is superb. The writing is great. FX is really at the top of the heap right now IMO.

Right now I am torn between the cold ruthlessness of Elizabeth or the smooth calculation of Stan for a favorite character. That Stan had them pegged the first time he met them. That is good.

I don't think it is so much as rooting for the enemy (it is) as it is hoping that they will turn. But you are right, the last episode, over the codes, I was worried they were going to get caught, at the upper level, I knew Elizabeth and Philip were fine, it was the Resident and his contact.

Then there is Nina. I like Nina, but she is not long for the show. I am hoping Stan doesn't do something stupid to save her.

You can see Stan's discomfort in Nina's tactics with the Ambassador, he's showing too much compassion.

On the same note, when Elizabeth shot the Russain contact, there was a long pause as of she were pondering her actions. Edited by Lumber_Jack

The only thing about that show, so far, is my never catching it and having to wait for On Demand. Otherwise,
I love it.

They replay last weeks episode after the new Justified on Tuesdays. I just try to stay up and watch them back to back

You can see Stan's discomfort in Nina's tactics with the Ambassador, he's showing too much compassion.

I get the impression that he likes her, which is kind of odd. I can't wait to find out what happened to him when he was with the white supremacists. Whatever it was, it clearly broke something inside him.

I get the impression that he likes her, which is kind of odd. I can't wait to find out what happened to him when he was with the white supremacists. Whatever it was, it clearly broke something inside him.

Yeah he isn't right, especially with his family. The cold exchange with his wife in the lingerie, shows he's pretty not interested in her. He played it off as too much work, but there is a deeper issue. Hope that gets developed in later episodes.

Yeah he isn't right, especially with his family. The cold exchange with his wife in the lingerie, shows he's pretty not interested in her. He played it off as too much work, but there is a deeper issue. Hope that gets developed in later episodes.

That was definitely an awkward moment. I think she sees through his excuses. Luckily for him, she seems like a patient and loving woman. I'm sure they'll show us some flashbacks of what happened to him, like they do with Elizabeth and Phillip.

On another note, Phillip and Elizabeth have some pretty darn good disguises and they get into character pretty well. I think the way she defused that situation with the belt was brilliant.