Panic buying...........?????????

Andyshowfan

I cruise armslist for deals just as I do here very often. Wife says it's an addiction, but really I don't have a problem :) In one of my daily cruisings I have noticed a few Ruger 10/22's for sale, nothing special just the same little blued carbine you get at your local Walmart for $217 +/- The ones I have seen on armslist are very reasonably priced at 350-400 bucks. What is the panic on these that have driven the prices up? Am I missing something?

I also think that many people have failed to remember that the federal government moves at the speed of the glacers. The media reports the possibility of some sort of gun restrictions and people lose their common sense. While some restrictions are probably going to happen, they won't happen overnight and they won't happen without advance notice of probably MONTHS.

One person starts running and everyone else thinks "I don't see a problem, but I better run too, just in case." What's happening is bordering on a mass hysteria. Hopefully when nothing happens immediately, things will calm a little.

Nothing wrong with being prepared, but all these people who jumped the gun so to speak are either (1) going to be pissed when they find out they can't sell these guns for 2/3 of what they purchased them for or (2) it drives the whole market up, so that a 2012 $300 piece turns into $500 in 2013.

Guest chuck66

I also think that many people have failed to remember that the federal government moves at the speed of the glacers. The media reports the possibility of some sort of gun restrictions and people lose their common sense. While some restrictions are probably going to happen, they won't happen overnight and they won't happen without advance notice of probably MONTHS.

I think it was fueled even more by the fact that the Pres. said he wanted something in place, I believe he said, by the end of January, which would be light-years faster than usual, as you noted.  He seemed pretty serious.  Of course, tomorrow's the deadline....hmmmmm...no legislation yet.  Not that I'm complaining.  I think the only reason there isn't already a new ban in place is the rallying of the gun community.  We just can't get complacent.

Edited by chuck66

I think it was fueled even more by the fact that the Pres. said he wanted something in place, I believe he said, by the end of January, which would be light-years faster than usual, as you noted.  He seemed pretty serious. 

No one has believed anything else he's said for the last four years, why start now? LOL

• Like 2
Guest summertime27

I think it was fueled even more by the fact that the Pres. said he wanted something in place, I believe he said, by the end of January, which would be light-years faster than usual, as you noted.  He seemed pretty serious.  Of course, tomorrow's the deadline....hmmmmm...no legislation yet.  Not that I'm complaining.  I think the only reason there isn't already a new ban in place is the rallying of the gun community.  We just can't get complacent.

The battle is far from over.

I for one would love to see the panic buying come to an end but we can not believe for (1) second that the fight for our 2A rights are over.

The same thing happened with "Obama Care" everyone got upset made the calls & emails to their respective senators & congressman & everything seemed like we had defeated big brother on the matter........ And now we have "Obama Care" 

The Libtards understand that we will bring an large fight initially. They also understand that if they let us think that we have successfully won the battle & set back & wait... After they are silent about the topic for awhile... We go back to our life, working providing for our families, taking care of ourselves & once again become consumed with our everyday lives. This is when they strike the fateful blow & slip a bill thru taking away our rights & freedoms.

Folks this is not a battle, this will be a prolonged War. A war that if we do our job our children & grandchildren will also have to fight. If we fail, Our children will not have the opportunity to fight the same battles we are currently faced with. We must stay active defending the Constitution.Don't think this battle is over next week, next month, next year. IT IS NOT.

Guest Minimalistix

Simple economics right now. It's constrained supply and huge demand.  I also assume some of it is just pure speculative buying and people trying to flip rifles to make money off the hysteria. 

I saw a ridiculously priced Colt AR the other day. Like $2600 for a run of the mill rifle.  I’d take that money and buy a Wilson Combat AR instead, but then again, a lot of people driving the prices are new gun owners or weren’t looking prior to all the insanity.

Armslist is about a waste of time unless you're a seller. There's no deals to be had, that's for sure. People going into Wally world buying $200 10/22's and putting them on there the next day for $350. I'm looking for a 10/22 but I'll wait till the dust settles.

• Like 1

just like everything else... people are buying up stuff that is in demand right now and selling it for double and triple...looks like not much is going to happen with a ban on guns... so i have no idea what they are doing...trying to find a stupid buyer i guess... i wouldn't buy one right now ...just wait till stuff dies down and returns to normal... it will in time ... these idiots will realize, oh heck there's nothing getting banned and i have all this ammo and all the mags and these 3 AR-15's i bought to resell ( which the guns are illegal to buy FOR resell btw ) they are just :stir: and making things worse than they really are... I've actually seen a lot of price drops on armslist cause no idiots are going to buy at that price... heck i just saw where someone had a few stripped lowers ( aluminum ) on there for a lil over 200... which is reasonable in this market... not 400 or 500 a piece... i did call out CDNN with there 2 first run lowers they where selling for 1500 for both and just the week before they had them for 400 a piece... they replied as , " oh these are first run though with low serial numbers"... what ever :ignore:

There's a lot of people that are getting everything on their wishlist all at one time. Who knows how many people knew they wanted a 10/22 at sometime in their life, but until a month ago thought they had plenty of time to get it. Now. all of a sudden, everyone is trying to get the same guns at the same time. We are "in the loop" with information more than most sheeple, and I can wait to find what I want at the right price. However, there will be plenty of people willing to pay double until guns return to the shelves at normal prices I think.

I left 30 round Pmags on the shelf at a LGS the other day that I thought were overpriced. The market will balance as long as we can keep any ban at bay.

Armslist is about a waste of time unless you're a seller. There's no deals to be had, that's for sure. People going into Wally world buying $200 10/22's and putting them on there the next day for $350. I'm looking for a 10/22 but I'll wait till the dust settles.

I have at times found decent deals and have always been fair in my pricing when listing, but with the times as they are I have to agree somewhat with being a waste of time. I have noticed a SHARP increase in everything just saw a Hi Point .380 for $400 and a Ruger LCP for $500. I would seriously hate to be an uneducated buyer right now.

I have at times found decent deals and have always been fair in my pricing when listing, but with the times as they are I have to agree somewhat with being a waste of time. I have noticed a SHARP increase in everything just saw a Hi Point .380 for $400 and a Ruger LCP for $500. I would seriously hate to be an uneducated buyer right now.

those people are cray cray... a high point for $400 ROFL :screwy: it has to be the engraved version with only 20,000 made... hahaha i think that's what i bought my g27 for

What I'm hoping for is when the shelves are stocked back up, the buyers have already bought and there will be some deals. Gunbroker has gone crazy too. Selling 10/22 takedowns for $550 or more. Then you have the BX-25 mags bringing $100 each. I bought three Glock 21 13 round mags last month on GB for $56, a couple weeks ago I saw them selling for $75 each and people were bidding on them. Thankfully I have plenty of ammo and the guns that I need. Notice I didn't say "want". 

those people are cray cray... a high point for $400 ROFL :screwy: it has to be the engraved version with only 20,000 made... hahaha i think that's what i bought my g27 for

Couldn't agree more. I gave a little over that for my SIG. I wonder if he/she would trade me even?

panic buying?  yes it has come to this.  but there is also a good side to this.  we now have more guns in the hands of the good guys.  this is a good thing.  with more good guys armed it will be hard for the left wing to take the guns away. 

i really don't think it's a case of panic buying myself... i think its the fact everyone is trying to make a quick buck... going and buying up everything then looking to resell it at a ridiculous price cause they know people will pay... just like when i was in North Carolina as a young adult...people would go to Lowes and what not, buy a bunch of 300-400-500 dollar generators and resell them for double and triple the price cause they would be hard to come buy... then they finally passed a law that made it illegal to buy for resell and price gouge in a time of emergency... same with plywood before the hurricane hit... people would charge outrageous prices for it cause they knew it would be in short supply...

that's the same thing happening here... its still out there... just people like that one guy that workED at gander mountain and bought a bunch of p-mags at probably 140 and resold them for 400... very shady people that do business like that... some call it capitalism... i call it ripping people off and creating a monopoly in the market... that's why Walmart is trying to limit ammunition so they can replenish there stock... SCREW everyone buying all the ammo to resell... y'all really need to find some other way to make a dollar...you are the people making the market what it is... same with guns... and magazines...

I personally am not in the market for anything really... would love to have a KSG and a PMR-30 but when i go to there website and see what MSRP is then go to look for one to purchase and its double that... :screwy: ... a doctor i work with is looking for 2 stripped lowers to build ar-15's with and for his 2 sons... he will not pay a stupid price for them...he can't find them under 300-400 dollars... even though he's got plenty of money hes not giving in with those prices... heck last night I saw someone list a POLY lower AR on armslist for 1850... really are you kidding me!

I also saw someone with a DPMS on there... mailed them about it just to get some info and why the price might be so high... they said " oh i just bought a larue AR something or other and wanted to sell this one..." reallY... brand new in box never fired? you think i was born yesterday... then clicked on that lil "see sellers other listings" then i saw they had maybe 5 cases of .223 ammo for sale and 2 other brand new never fired in box AR's for sale... :) what a lying sack of crap... :rant:

What really irks me is the panic buy on ammo to only hoard it and make it worse on everyone. Yes, you should have enough to carry you through for range sessions, plinking, hunting and back up if SHTF. Especially for range sessions, until availability get back to normal, so at least you can continue to shoot.

But these guys who stock up on 10,000 rounds for the end of the world so they can be prepared? That's funny and usually the attitude of someone who's watched too many movies, ready too many books, and played too much Call to Duty, where they hit the 'respawn' button to come back to life. Do they really think they'd last long enough in a real gun encounter to use up all that ammo? Real soldiers carry 210 rounds combat load for their M4s. The truth is, that the soldier either puts the bad guys down within that allotment, or he's toast. And these are real trained warriors, not wannabes.

Let's see...if you have 10,000 rounds, a 210 round battle load (if you shot it all) = 47 firefights. Chances of surviving that...slim to none.

Guess the only realistic worry we should have is if we, the gun owners, keep wiping off the ammo shelves, will the manufacturers have a 'new norm' of higher pricing when they catch back up to restocking?

Here's a good one for you. I put an ad on armslist the other day that I was looking for a 10/22 stainless carbine and I would pay $250 for one because I could buy one at Walmart for that when they get them again. I had someone to email me this today..............

"Nothing really to say....you tell people what you won't do and try to control what they sell their weapon for... really. The market will dictate the price. Just because Wallie Mart sell something has nothing to do with what private citizens will see their gun for.

Best of luck in your search"

I told the guy if he wanted to do something constructive, he should email the people that were trying to rip others off but I'm guessing he's one of the ones that's trying to sell his 10/22 for $400. BTW, I just copied and pasted his responce so he also needs to learn how to spell.

Edited by 10ga

Let's see...if you have 10,000 rounds, a 210 round battle load (if you shot it all) = 47 firefights. Chances of surviving that...slim to none.

For the last couple of years, every time I was in Walmart, I'd pick up a couple boxes of 9mm, 223, and 22lr. 

I originally started doing this because of hearing after 2008, ammo prices never came back down.  When I saw Federal 9mm for $9.47 a box, I slowly started stacking.  Before Sandy Hook, that price, in just 2 years, was now at $11.97 for the SAME box.  We are talking about a $2.50/per box increase in less than 2 years. 

My hoarding isn't to fight off the mobs of people should a SHTF situation occur -- but to lock in good pricing on ammo that I will eventually use some day :)  Not many investments have increase over 25% in 2 years :) 

I've never seen ammo drop in price, and probably will never see it drop in price.  10 years from now, I'm sure we'll be lucky just to find 9mm under $25 for a box of 50 :)

• Like 1
Guest semiautots

I'm sure the AR-15 lower manufacturers are working 3 shifts.  In a few months we are going to be awash in AR-15's.  Same with MagPul.  I bet they are making PMAGs by the million.